Seeking Advice - Upgrade or New Build

Hello Everyone,

I am currently debating between building a new computer or upgrading my current one. Current build from 2010:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz Overclocked to 3.8 GHz
    ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58
    SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0
    OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium - OEM
    Air cooled stable.

Current issues I have is that I get some lag in raids and I get errors saying windows is running out of memory and needs to disable Aero theme. Also after I shut down about 50% of the time the case fans keep spinning and I have to hold the power button down to get them to turn off.

Anyway I was thinking upgrading the ram to 12 gigs should solve the windows memory problem and maybe pick up a new video card? Or has it been long enough that a new computer would be a better option. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Raid lag is your CPU. I'd upgrade your CPU/Board/RAM first.. then up the GPU later. WoW won't benefit too much more from that anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryn View Post
    Anyway I was thinking upgrading the ram to 12 gigs should solve the windows memory problem and maybe pick up a new video card? Or has it been long enough that a new computer would be a better option. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    The WoW client hardly ever uses more than 2.5GB's of RAM, so it's not RAM problem, I could play wow on worst settings on my laptop with 1gb of RAM before MOP.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Something in your PC is broken or your windows is broken/has a virus. Why? I played WoW on many worse computers on ma details and had zero lag.
    Your problem is not ram (wow hardly uses more than 2gb) but something that is faulty/virus or your parts are not compatible. For example your ram may be incopatible with mainboard, always check the list of compatible ram for each mainboard.

Also, you have overclocked cpu, which might have damaged it. Also, WoW plays smoothly on Intel i3 or Core 2 Duo...so...there is no need for overkill i7 overclocked.

Use combofix to clean viruses, your windows can be damaged.
    Get a new grapgic card.
    CPU may be damaged.
    Your RAM may be incopatible with your mainboard.

Thats all. There is no need for a new PC, wow plays smoothly and lagless on much worse PCs/Laptops.

I have build and repaired tons of PCs.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2014-02-12 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW may not use more than 2.5, but other programs run at the same time. Wow is not played in a vacuum. 6gb can easily be a little low (Heck, at 8gb Im running out of memory.. but that's also running a terraria server, and other stuff)

That said... an i7-930 at 3.8ghz can definitely start to lag in raids. Its borderline mandatory upgrade time for people who can afford it.

WoW plays smoothly on Intel i3 or Core 2 Duo
    This is sort of a ... misleading statement. First, an i3 covers a broad range of CPU's (i3-2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx). The new i3's are -amazing- and can run raids well. The older i3's will struggle. A Core 2 Duo is borderline ancient, and will definitely have large raid problems.

I doubt the CPU is damaged, that's usually the last thing to go, and it supports overclocking. Damaging it via that is unlikely, unless you're running it too hot.. But if you were, you'd notice from crashes/instability... Not just running out of ram.

A new graphic card will largely not help in WoW raids at the moment, but ought to be upgraded on principle when you have the time/money, but consider it the last thing to upgrade amongst the performance parts.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think at this point I'll just build a new rig. With everything being over 3 years old and the tower being 6 years old I think its time to treat myself to a new machine.