Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Win8 is very smooth and works great, but the UI is awful and really not made for desktops
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Stay in Windows 7 until Window 9 arrives.
    It came with the PC. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    at least you can talk yourself into it, and then pretend the metro ui and the missing start menu are really great things! haha.
    Actually WIn8 is ideal for gaming. Its core is so fucking fast and optimised... and start menu, really? Who cares about start menu, when you have superfast OS?
    I'll never return to slow, laggy abomination of win7. Win8 is so great that I even think sometimes that not Microsoft made it, lol.

You do know that Windows 9, will move even further away from Windows 7.

Windows 8 is far superior, this is how people react to small change. Play around with Win 8 and you will see it changed for the better. If it is not for you, you can download apps to get your ever so precious start button back.

The only thing that truly pissed me off with Win 8 was giving me a Xbox Live account to download Solitaire and Minesweeper lol.
    Last edited by Trix; 2014-02-13 at 09:32 AM.

Deleted
    Because you have any way of knowing how good or bad "Windows 9" will be, right? Old internet meme is old, no not every other Windows is going to be good/bad, that would be a terrible business plan and if you believe in this "every other OS revision" otherwise you're just superstitious.

@OP

http://www.classicshell.net/

10 seconds to install, set and forget. Right click start button for settings/layout and possibly change things like "active corners" in the Windows 8.1 tab

- "It seems a bug in the Start-button, made the OS slow".
    - "Lets fix it! .. or maybe we could remove the button?".

Deleted
    When you work with 40-50 year old who only just manage to cope with changes from xp to 7 windows 8 is not an option. I mean like we have some teachers here who can not handle tabs on internet explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    Windows 8 is far superior when you get used to it.
    How ? explain us please.

Personally I first experienced the metro UI through remote desktop since our web servers have it and I instantly fell in love both with the win button menu+search and the overall feel. Got the windows myself soon after and I have only positive things to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    i work in the IT department of a school we just switched from windows XP to windows 7 last summer. Trust me when i say most businesses will skip windows 8 and will stay with windows 7 till the next OS comes out.
    I don't think school IT department is the best way to judge it. MS Office is switching to the same kind of UI as win8 is, servers are with metro UI as well, win8 works better with tablets ... why avoid it. Not to mention what do you expect win9 will do.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The main reason people seem to dislike it now more people have gotten used to the strange ui is simply due to the lack of compatibility with so many things.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    How ? explain us please.
    Explain how Windows 8 is not superior please. If your only argument is going to be "because the UI looks different and you know every other OS sucks" then you need to try harder.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK, right clicking the task bar->navigation, gives some options like "starting at desktop" and the "start button" going to apps like it use to.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I don't care about the coloring and stuff. But the disappearance of the start menu is distressing. I can search easy from the start menu. Now I got to mouse over the corner, wait for the list bar to come out, then click search. The start menu allows me to put the 2nd more frequently used stuff on it. This stupid fullscreen thing lists all the apps on the second page ...
    Hm ... hm ... hm ... maybe win btn + q ? Search in win8 is one of the best features. It's one short cut away and super fast. Also you can completelly customize the win btn screen. Put there just the apps you like.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Once I discovered a tool named Start8 I never missed Windows 7 again. In fact at work it feels like going massively back in time every time I have to use Windows 7 again.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

It's become the cool new hipster thing to defend Windows 8 I've noticed.

Win 8 sucks, always has, always will. It's the product of a very flawed and failed vision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have windows 8.1 after reluctantly upgrading from W7( heard it's supposed to be faster for BF4 xD) and I have to say it is indeed a noticeable improvement performance wise, not only in BF4 but overall... and the issue of Start Menu is easily fixable as others have said before. + the new Task Manager is to die for... much more detailed than the w7 one and I simply love it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post

Win 8 sucks, always has, always will. It's the product of a very flawed and failed vision.
    you mean hating on the new things and praising the old ones isn't hipster anymore?

Deleted

Please enlighten us why it's flawed and failed beyond not liking the UI which you can "fix" in a matter of 10 seconds.

That's the opposite of what a hipster does.

A hipster would be defending Win 7.

Care to explain why or how it's "flawed" and "failed" instead of just talking crap?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Classic shell sorts it all out as others have said. I'm still using Windows 7 on mine but once you get over the silly modern touch screen style 'start menu' that 8 has, or install classic shell there appears to be nothing wrong with it. In fact I'd have upgraded already if the price wasn't so stupid. Boot times seem to be crazy fast too, not in the same league as a mac of course but impressive.