Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ganking Lowbies. What's the charm?

Disclaimer: Not a thread meant to troll or to bitch. I am genuinely intrigued
    Disclaimer 2: I wasn't sure whether to put this in PvP forum or here, but I figured this was a phenomenon not limited to PvPers. If mods disagree, I don't mind getting moved there.

So. Like the title says: Ganking lowbies. What's the charm? Having recently moved to a PvP-server with my guild and having leveled a character through it, I must wonder what drives people at lvl90 to swoop down and oneshot someone who can't even hit them. Be it me myself questing, be it a guildmate or a friend questing, there seems to always be one or two lvl90 rogues/hunters/mages/whatnot there killing lowbies.

No challenge. No reward. Not even those "sweet sweet tears" that censer-people at TI seem to enjoy (still haven't grinded my bloody coins... maybe eventually) due to difference in faction. Not to mention the ever-looming possibility of getting your face smashed in by said lowbies heroic-SoO-geared main (I did that once or twice. Got tired of being constantly killed, logged to my main and made a case for myself)

Is it purely the joy of trolling? If so, What if, like in my case, the one being ganked doesn't really care unless it's a repeated effort (being ganked by the same guy in the same spot 6 times in a row gets really old, cue login as main)? Is it to maintain the illusion of World PvP? if so, why not fight lvl90's? plenty of them roaming around.

What makes a lowbie ganker tick? I honestly want to know.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I did it when I was on a pvp server still I did it mainly to spark world pvp.
    Ganking lowbies is a great way to piss them off and get them to log their main and bring friends.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    threads like this means the gankers already won.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women! .. Of course. + if it worked like old WoW it'd probably cause a major PvP event when friends are called in and rushing for aid.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Half the time it's just a continuation of the vicious cycle; you get killed when levelling, you kill others. Sometimes boredom, others collateral damage.

It's also a good way to spark World PvP, but a lot of the time it doesn't work. Personally I tend to kill 90s who are killing lowbies, and only hit them if they persistently hit me - /pest /no /sigh /kill.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-02-13 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    Back in 2005 it was kinda funny to gank lowbies in alterac mountains or southshore. However I have no proper explanation why I actually did that alot, as guy above mentioned: probably "just to piss them off"

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    When I did it when I was on a pvp server still I did it mainly to spark world pvp.
    Ganking lowbies is a great way to piss them off and get them to log their main and bring friends.
    Pretty much this....

For me, it's just part of the war. No matter their level, if I see a player of the opposite faction, I'll kill them, because they're my enemy. It's got nothing to do with trolling, or being unskilled, or whatever other lame excuse they'll come up with. It's just a big part of the game for me, killing the opposite faction's players. There's also the fact that it's a great way to get big battles started, when they bring their friends or mains. Besides, I got killed a lot leveling, so it's only fair I get to have my revenge. All's fair in war.

Literally because I can. I rarely get anything out of it myself but I just do it because I can. Also, maining a 580 DK helps with being practically unkillable to randoms out there so there's no risk in it for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTirri View Post
    Disclaimer: Not a thread meant to troll or to bitch. I am genuinely intrigued
    Disclaimer 2: I wasn't sure whether to put this in PvP forum or here, but I figured this was a phenomenon not limited to PvPers. If mods disagree, I don't mind getting moved there.

So. Like the title says: Ganking lowbies.
    What's the charm? Having recently moved to a PvP-server with my guild and having leveled a character through it, I must wonder what drives people at lvl90 to swoop down and oneshot someone who can't even hit them. Be it me myself questing, be it a guildmate or a friend questing, there seems to always be one or two lvl90 rogues/hunters/mages/whatnot there killing lowbies.

No challenge. No reward. Not even those "sweet sweet tears" that censer-people at TI seem to enjoy (still haven't grinded my bloody coins... maybe eventually) due to difference in faction. Not to mention the ever-looming possibility of getting your face smashed in by said lowbies heroic-SoO-geared main (I did that once or twice. Got tired of being constantly killed, logged to my main and made a case for myself)

Is it purely the joy of trolling? If so, What if, like in my case, the one being ganked doesn't really care unless it's a repeated effort (being ganked by the same guy in the same spot 6 times in a row gets really old, cue login as main)? Is it to maintain the illusion of World PvP? if so, why not fight lvl90's? plenty of them roaming around.

What makes a lowbie ganker tick? I honestly want to know.
    People do it because they can, there is no set reason. Maybe their lowbie died a bunch of times and they're looking for the 90 who did it. Maybe they're just mean.

You're being so pretentious and it's kind of infuriating.
    Try asking us like we're actual people instead of "intriguing" test subjects - it's offensive.

Log main, beat shit out of him, invite friends, but tell them to hide, wait for ganker to appear with more gankers, spawn friends, beat shit out of them, camp corpses, now beat dead shit out of them, wait few minutes for threat whispers, provoke and let him to swear, curse and insult you and finally report him to GM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's funny how often this topic comes up. in wow world pvp, you literally lose nothing but maybe 20 seconds of game time, there's really no rational reason to worry about, or get angry about getting ganked. but people still do. hell i was mining in WG last night on my 85 warrior, and i could feel that 'worry' creep in once in a while. 'oh crap someone's gonna gank me', even though i know it's absolutely no big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    --SNIP--

Don't post memes

This pretty much sums up my take on the matter. Red is dead, but grey is just sad.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-02-13 at 03:26 PM.

Flying mounts should be removed from low level zones, low lvls dont stand a chance vs some fucking asshole on a flying mount..

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, you've had a bad day and you just wanna piss in someone's Corn Flakes.

People that do this are the same people that rip wings and limbs off insects or throw pets of buildings/bridges. They are sociopaths that take pleasure in other beings pain and feed of the sensation of having great power. It's a waste of time trying to understand their motivation because they are not healthy, rational beings.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hb View Post
    Flying mounts should be removed from low level zones, low lvls dont stand a chance vs some fucking asshole on a flying mount..
    By that logic we should also remove normal mounts, gear, Talents and hand everyone a foam sword.

Deleted
    Now days? It's nothing more than childish banter.

Although I did have some rather amusing "ganking" when levelling in unguro. Doing the quest where you run around and collect the crystals being followed by a 90 dk with 600k hp (gotta stay in blood presence incase my level 54 boomkin randomly does 550k damage!) and a hunter with 500k odd... Health pools unimportant but they were essentially fully geared.
    They spent a good 10 minutse gripping me, asphyxiating me and then trapping me to stop me getting the crystals, but only actually killing me once by an accident melee swing.
    After I managed to escape (attacked the hunters pet /afk'd for 2 minutes and rezzed far away ) they made alliance toons and asked me where I ran off too as they were having fun.

I don't mind that type of ganking, but what really bugs me is when people camp the dark portal and spam AoE abilities so you can't enter. Blizzard won't do anything about it because some twat will start crying they're ruining the game for them and how World PvP is dying beacuse odf blizzard (lol right.) yet in reality it's not even pvp, a mage and a warlock spamming blizzard/Rain of Fire for literally HOURS on end whilst NO-ONE can enter the dark portal really isn't world pvp... It's cunts with nothing better to do

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    By that logic we should also remove normal mounts, gear, Talents and hand everyone a foam sword.
    at least you had a chance to escape from the person ganking you when they couldnt use flying mounts in vanilla/tbc. now they will just fly up in the air and find u again in 0.01 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Now you are just being hyperbolic. The point was, a player is more likely to be seen from the sky than from the ground. They would at least stand a better chance if they are not seen from a bird's eye view.