Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Also I don't see how a ganker is likely to be a sociopath
    Idk, what do you call harming someone for the sake of the act itself.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by What-ho Squiffy View Post
    The joy or ruining somebody else's fun. Lowbie ganking has nothing to do with getting high levels to come back... it is done to frustrate someone else. It is satisfying to think that I caused somebody to swear at their monitor or just deflate someones fun for a minute or two whilst they run back to their corpse not knowing if they are going to get ganked again.
    this is basicly grefing, and it makes me so sad to see people like you even bother wasting your time making anyones else day sour. if you want to pvp , maybe pick fight with someone that are in the same lvl as you . im glad that i changed over to a pve server, because people like you makes me sad, and its pretty funny that you even bothering with wasting your time to gank lowbies. maybe you should learn to pvp ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTirri View Post
    Disclaimer: Not a thread meant to troll or to bitch. I am genuinely intrigued
    Disclaimer 2: I wasn't sure whether to put this in PvP forum or here, but I figured this was a phenomenon not limited to PvPers. If mods disagree, I don't mind getting moved there.

So. Like the title says: Ganking lowbies. What's the charm? Having recently moved to a PvP-server with my guild and having leveled a character through it, I must wonder what drives people at lvl90 to swoop down and oneshot someone who can't even hit them. Be it me myself questing, be it a guildmate or a friend questing, there seems to always be one or two lvl90 rogues/hunters/mages/whatnot there killing lowbies.

No challenge. No reward. Not even those "sweet sweet tears" that censer-people at TI seem to enjoy (still haven't grinded my bloody coins... maybe eventually) due to difference in faction. Not to mention the ever-looming possibility of getting your face smashed in by said lowbies heroic-SoO-geared main (I did that once or twice. Got tired of being constantly killed, logged to my main and made a case for myself)

Is it purely the joy of trolling? If so, What if, like in my case, the one being ganked doesn't really care unless it's a repeated effort (being ganked by the same guy in the same spot 6 times in a row gets really old, cue login as main)? Is it to maintain the illusion of World PvP? if so, why not fight lvl90's? plenty of them roaming around.

What makes a lowbie ganker tick? I honestly want to know.
    I can give you an honest and truthful answer. Hear me out.

The reason why lowbie ganker swoop down to send someone to the graveyard is simple. They KNOW that the person on the other end will feel hate. And that is basically what gives a ganker pleasure. This is why you PvP. If you wanted the other person to be happy and joyful, you would simply surrender every time you join a BG/Arena etc.. IF you like PvP, then I tell you that you like it because you can tease someone. It doesn't matter whether this certain someone can defend himself or not. As long as you know that the person you just defeated is now sitting in front of his computer tearing his hair out, you feel content - that is the charm.

Now this sounds all pretty sick, right? You might wonder how these people became such malicious players. Well, it all started when THEY got smashed in PvP for the first time. They KNOW what it feels like and, eventually, they seek revenge.

PvP in any game is driven by one vicious cycle.

Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure -> Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure -> Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure ...

As someone on a PvE server, if I see a flagged lowbie running by all assume they're looking for the PvP experience and gank them once and move on. If you're asking why people kill and camp lowbies for extended periods of time, I couldn't tell you. It's the most entertaining thing to do in their mom's basement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    what do you call harming someone for the sake of the act itself?
    being a MMORPG player

As I am on a PvE-RP server when I see flagged 90s killing quest givers or trying to get you to accidentally flag yourself I respond by having my lowbie do the chicken dance, because they are cowards by targeting people who cannot win.

As to actual PvP, I subscribe to a PvP only WWII MMO flight combat game. Years ago I was flying about in a Mosquito fighter when an La-5FN comes along below me. An La-5FN is not usually something a new player selects, but so it was. I dive on him, easily adjust for his clumsy evasive and the "fight" is over in less than 10 seconds from the start of my dive. Five minutes later he comes back and the result is the same. And again. At that point I landed went somewhere else as the fights were being so brief as to not be fun for me and not offer him any chance to learn. Even in this PvP game in which the game's creator himself said part of the nature of the game is to piss the other guy off I still stopped clubbing the baby seal because it wasn't nice to do so.
    Last edited by Karnak; 2014-02-14 at 12:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krihan View Post
    maybe you should learn to pvp ?
    My huge level advantage means that I don't have to and I much prefer to gank lowbies on my level 90 anyway.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTirri View Post
    Disclaimer: Not a thread meant to troll or to bitch. I am genuinely intrigued
    Disclaimer 2: I wasn't sure whether to put this in PvP forum or here, but I figured this was a phenomenon not limited to PvPers. If mods disagree, I don't mind getting moved there.

So. Like the title says: Ganking lowbies. What's the charm? Having recently moved to a PvP-server with my guild and having leveled a character through it, I must wonder what drives people at lvl90 to swoop down and oneshot someone who can't even hit them. Be it me myself questing, be it a guildmate or a friend questing, there seems to always be one or two lvl90 rogues/hunters/mages/whatnot there killing lowbies.

No challenge. No reward. Not even those "sweet sweet tears" that censer-people at TI seem to enjoy (still haven't grinded my bloody coins... maybe eventually) due to difference in faction. Not to mention the ever-looming possibility of getting your face smashed in by said lowbies heroic-SoO-geared main (I did that once or twice. Got tired of being constantly killed, logged to my main and made a case for myself)

Is it purely the joy of trolling? If so, What if, like in my case, the one being ganked doesn't really care unless it's a repeated effort (being ganked by the same guy in the same spot 6 times in a row gets really old, cue login as main)? Is it to maintain the illusion of World PvP? if so, why not fight lvl90's? plenty of them roaming around.

What makes a lowbie ganker tick? I honestly want to know.
    do what i did, change to a pve server, problem solved. i did the same when i was lvling . you wont look back. it was so frustrating to deal with lvl 90s roaming around in low lvl quest zones , just to gank lowbies just to be asshats. it came to a point where i had enough and changed server, and im so happy i did. i dont have to deal with grefing assholes that does anything in their power to makes everyone else day sour, and i can actually have fun. and to all those people ganking lowbies and saying its a part of the pvp aspect of the game are just talking bullshit, its all about pissing off people and making them rage quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was leveling my level 15 priest when some level 65 came and started camping me and doing /spit at me for no reason at all, that behaviour continued for about 20-30 minutes with him camping my corpse and ruining my fun. I created an account on his realm and told him that I wouldn't mind If he killed me once or twice for whatever reason he would do that, but keeping camping med Is grief and just the sole purpose of ruining my mood. His response was, "I got you didn't I, you mad scrub?"... Pissed off by his answer I decided to log my main and started camping him for over 30 minutes, watching a movie while having WoW on window mode. I think I continued this for a couple of days just parking my main in outland and ruining his "fun", never have something been more satisfying.

If it wasn't for my friends staying on that god awful PVP server, I would transfer all my characters to a PVE server and never deal with these assholes.

The joy or ruining somebody else's fun. Lowbie ganking has nothing to do with getting high levels to come back... it is done to frustrate someone else. It is satisfying to think that I caused somebody to swear at their monitor or just deflate someones fun for a minute or two whilst they run back to their corpse not knowing if they are going to get ganked again.
    Eww, I don't like you at all. :/
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post

Eww, I don't like you at all. :/
    Really? ...maybe I should change my ways.

Deleted
    If your red you are dead. I dont camp or anything like that. I will simply kill you once so that you remember you are on a pvp server and should watch out for high levels running around the place. Thats what a PVP server is for. You cant chose to play on a pvp server but complain about being killing once in awhile. Camping is a whole different topic, but even still it isnt that bad

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont mind if my alt is ganked and u just wanna "fight my main", but i get disappointed when i arrive with my 573 blood DK that ur to scared to fight me, even on 2v1 :/
    Not like im gonna wipe the floor with u or anything.
    But in all seriousness, we picked a pvp server afterall, u gank my alts, and i kill u on timeless isle for bloody coins, everybody win
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    Really? ...maybe I should change my ways.
    lulz good one

I honestly believe that if you think 'red is dead' is a healthy or logical mindset, you aren't too bright. People with that mentality are mindless monkeys. You don't need to attack whenever you see someone, it's not even realistic to do so. It takes any humanity out of the experience, it might as well be a random NPC attacking another NPC. I choose PvP server because it is unrealistic for an enemy to just not be able to attack you. Unfortunately, some people on PvP server think they HAVE to attack.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2014-02-14 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    I can give you an honest and truthful answer. Hear me out.
    (...)
    PvP in any game is driven by one vicious cycle.

Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure -> Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure -> Hate -> Revenge -> Pleasure ...
    Disagreeing here sorry about that... PvP is the aim for competition. Or who is skilled, those that has the brain? PvE will never be as skilled as PvP, because PvE is a computer. I like PvP for that reason, and killing what I call monsters (H2) at the same time. And achieving a victory with tactical decisions (bg and rbg) too.

Not arguing though against the fact that gankers etc which I am not (surprisingly ), often enjoy killing newbies for the sake of killing them. Your explanation fits this.^^ But it can't be generalized to one word, pvp; which has many different flavors in this game. Just to clear things out, as this is pretty much obvious.

Obviously also, you just look like disliking pvp altogether, which is fine why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    Disagreeing here sorry about that... PvP is the aim for competition. Or who is skilled, those that has the brain? PvE will never be as skilled as PvP, because PvE is a computer. I like PvP for that reason, and killing what I call monsters (H2) at the same time. And achieving a victory with tactical decisions (bg and rbg) too.
    Sorry, but only the very tippy top of PvP takes any more skill than PvE. Even then, compared with the very best of best raiding guilds, it's a fine line. PvP is about gear and class composition 90% of the time. It may not be AS scripted as PvE, but it's still a case of if ___ happens then do ____.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Sorry, but only the very tippy top of PvP takes any more skill than PvE. Even then, compared with the very best of best raiding guilds, it's a fine line. PvP is about gear and class composition 90% of the time. It may not be AS scripted as PvE, but it's still a case of if ___ happens then do ____.
    Everyone can have its preference, being PvE or PvP. Yes, Pvp is often about gear and class composition.

My general take is that if you're good at one you can probably be good at the other. It's not a case of one being harder than the other, just of knowing how to play WoW.

Anyways, I don't consider ganking PvP, especially lowbies. PvP implies there is a versus. If someone thinks that all it means is that players are fighting eachother than the term 'PvP' becomes pretty meaningless.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2014-02-14 at 02:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    Everyone can have its preference, being PvE or PvP. Yes, Pvp is often about gear and class composition.
    Both are about patterns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    People do it because they can, there is no set reason. Maybe their lowbie died a bunch of times and they're looking for the 90 who did it. Maybe they're just mean.

You're being so pretentious and it's kind of infuriating.
    Try asking us like we're actual people instead of "intriguing" test subjects - it's offensive.
    It's interesting one way or another. I for one can't understand the mindset of corpse camping lower level players who can't fight back. Getting killed once or twice is no problem in my eyes though. It's pvp for a reason, but when you camp a low level person over and over you are a douchebag in every way possible.