Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Comcast/Time Warner action thread

...as opposed to the Comcast/TW whining thread. May I ask for special dispensation for a double post?

CONSUMER ADVOCATES AND FREE MARKETEERS UNITE!!! STOP THE MONOPOLY!!!!!!

http://act.freepress.net/sign/consol...p-vyp&rd=1&t=2

"Comcast + Time Warner Cable = Disaster

Comcast just announced that it’s buying Time Warner Cable. If approved, this outrageous deal would create a television and Internet colossus like no other.

Comcast is the country's #1 cable and Internet company and Time Warner Cable is #2. Put them together and you get a single giant controlling a massive share of our nation’s TV and Internet-access markets.

No one woke up this morning wishing their cable company was bigger or had more control over what they watch and how they get online. But that's the reality we’ll face unless the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission do their jobs and block this merger.

Stopping this kind of deal is exactly why we have antitrust laws.

This merger would put more than a third of all cable-TV subscribers in Comcast’s hands and give it control over more than half of the “triple-play” services that combine TV, phone and Internet service. Don’t forget, Comcast already owns NBC, MSNBC, Universal Studios and tons of cable networks. That means that for most of America, Comcast could control even more of what you see and how you see it.

Putting this much power in the hands of one company is dangerous. This deal would lead to less consumer choice, less diversity and much higher cable bills.

This is a fight we can win. Tell the FCC and the DoJ to stop this merger."

I don't see how they could approve this since it would be a monopoly and we have so many laws against monopolies. Of course giving the current track record for following the law I doubt this will be stopped. The shape the internet (speeds and such) is in in America is already piss poor and this does not help that any.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about cable TV, but internet could be an issue.

On the other hand, with companies like Google putting downward pressure on new fiber connection prices, it may be a moot point. Cable TV is a dying monster, and with it traditional copper cable lines will die too.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    On the other hand, with companies like Google putting downward pressure on new fiber connection prices, it may be a moot point. Cable TV is a dying monster, and with it traditional copper cable lines will die too.
    Pressure schmessure. Telcos and cablecos have entirely too much clout with state governments. They've already used it to blockade municipal fibre in various states and Kansas is working on blocking Google now.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Comcast bought out Time Warner here years ago. They have been the only cable service available since then. Seems pretty illegal (monopoly) to me.

Man I hate the cable and internet companies here in the US. There was just something in the paper about Comcast limiting users internet speeds while on netflix, I don't want them any bigger

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Dababa View Post
    Man I hate the cable and internet companies here in the US. There was just something in the paper about Comcast limiting users internet speeds while on netflix, I don't want them any bigger
    Are you sure it wasn't just doomsaying like here in the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Pressure schmessure. Telcos and cablecos have entirely too much clout with state governments. They've already used it to blockade municipal fibre in various states and Kansas is working on blocking Google now.
    See here in the UK we have quite slow internet but compared to shit like that, I think I can live with that. It's quite disturbing that people are able to completely block competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Its Doomsaying - Me, my wife, and my kid have all watched things on Netflix at the same time and have experienced no slow downs whatsoever.

Our infrastructure in the USA is pretty piss poor on the internet side of things. I know it's not 100% this way but I remember watching a thing on Europe and their internet. The USA is the equivalent of guys smashing stones together to make tools while Europe (in many places) is the equivalent of a machine shop making tools. It's disgusting but in the USA AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and Time Warner lobby the hell out of the House/Senate to make sure they're the only players on the block.

I live in Kansas and I know of what Masark is talking about. I need to mail my representatives on the issue, especially since I live in a place that should get Google Fiber and will switch when I can.

since I am not beholden to either ( thank fuck we have some variety where I live) I don't really care beyond the implications it can have on the internet. but that is really another topic unto it's self.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really unfair to call yourself "number 1" when you're not better than the rest, you just own more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Our infrastructure in the USA is pretty piss poor on the internet side of things.
    that's what happens when we say: " hey cable companies! heres some taxpayer money to make a half decent network" and then the cable companies pocket it. ugh, if there was ever a case against government funding the private sector it's this one.

Its probably ok for them to merge into one giant single source provider.

I mean, if that system is good enough for health care then why not telecom?

Riiiiiiiighhhhttt?

Needs to get blocked. Comcast is bad enough, now you marry that with Time Warner. Please no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality
    Despite this claim, there has been a single case where an Internet service provider, Comcast, intentionally slowed peer-to-peer (P2P) communications.[9] Still other companies have begun to use deep packet inspection to discriminate against P2P, FTP, and online games, instituting a cell-phone style billing system of overages, free-to-telecom "value added" services, and bundling.

Verizon has already done damage to people services to Amazon and Netflix.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Looks to be in the paper in Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/business/c...eaming-hiccups

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Its probably ok for them to merge into one giant single source provider.

I mean, if that system is good enough for health care then why not telecom?

Riiiiiiiighhhhttt?
    do you even know what the fuck you talk about most of the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate cable companies. They are right up there with insurance, airlines and banks.

I think we should just all designate a day where we ALL just cancel our subscriptions at the same time. It would be glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I hate cable companies. They are right up there with insurance, airlines and banks.

I think we should just all designate a day where we ALL just cancel our subscriptions at the same time. It would be glorious.
    I've been meaning to drop Time Warner but have been too lazy to find a new internet provider. Have the bundle yet the cable is usually just played in the background and my home phone is off due to all the telemarketers (important people have my cell number.) This merger threat will finally get me looking at a change.