Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    The article on tea was research with funding provided by the Tea Council, given. The one on coffee was not- it was research done at a public-funded university, by actual scientists doing actual research, as you specified so clearly.

And how about we ask the Mayo Clinic?
    "Drinking caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration."

Are you going to say then that the Mayo Clinic was wrong and paid off?

The idea that coffee and tea are dehydrating is a myth, plain and simple.
    As an anecdotal tack on (yeah, anecdotes aren't data, but still), I regularly run 12-15 miles with no additional beverages having drank only coffee before heading out. There's nothing magic about coffee that makes it somehow not usable fluid for hydration. Yes, staying hydrated is good, but you'll know if you need water - you'll feel thirsty!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJordanMK View Post
    2 weeks have passed since i opened this thread guys, 2 weeks !!! I know its not much, but im pleased of myself , im starting to adjust day by day.
    I have increased my running by 4km per day , and im starting to feel comfortable , so im gonna start increasing it week by week . I have cut out my bad habits , drinking sodas,eating sweets and high fat meals . I started drinking water much more, and from time to time green tea.
    Im still the same weight, but kinda feel more comfortable than 2 weeks ago... i believe my results will come eventually. Its not much, but its good for a start , and as i said im gonna keep posting time to time about my progress and some more tips. Tnx for all the help
    That's awesome, congrats on the progress! Those initial steps are by far the hardest, I think you're going to be really happy with your results over time. Post often!

what kind of salad is that with pasta ? fruits ? or veggie nly?, but its ok as long as you do not eat fatty foods junk and make less rice. Drink a lot of water instead of ride on bus or car if your office is not to far from home you can go by walk. or used bicycle ^^ if you have time to go to some far places do it by means of jogging and bicycle ^^

Eat one low carb meal in the middle of your day. Don't eat any carbs for about 3 hours after. This gives your body time to reset your insulin sensitivity a little bit. Diabetes research has shown that chronically elevated insulin levels leads to insulin resistance, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. Give your pancreas a break during the day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post

Not that you want to "bulk" but eating clean definitely doesn't have to be expensive. I hope something in there helps and best of luck!
    damm your food is cheap over there.Much more expensive in the UK, even when I buy as cheap as possible from markets etc.

But yeah, its no more expensive to eat healthy than not, it just requires a bit more thought I find, mind you I really like cooking so I'm happy to do it, most of my friends hate cooking so dont make the effort.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    damm your food is cheap over there.Much more expensive in the UK, even when I buy as cheap as possible from markets etc.

But yeah, its no more expensive to eat healthy than not, it just requires a bit more thought I find, mind you I really like cooking so I'm happy to do it, most of my friends hate cooking so dont make the effort.
    Indeed, 0.99 for 12 eggs? oO
    I'm currently in norway for a year due to school, and here 12 eggs is 5.30ish.

But as the poster above me said, eating healthy is okish, it just require you to make the food from the ground up.
    My fast, easy and cheap meal is a box or two of tuna, spices, broccoli, salad, and if i need some carbs i put in a little bit of brown rice.

And good job so far, sounds like you doing great, keep it up mate!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi Alex,

A few things to consider that might have been mentioned but I did not read all of the posts...

When starting a new fitness lifestyle the key to long term success is moderation and taking a slow and steady approach.

Exercise
    Depending on your cardiovascular conditioning and muscle strength you may or may not be able to just start running 3-5k per day. But you can probably start a walking regimen. Walk that same 3-5k per day every day.

If possible add in some light resistance training as well. Lean muscle increases your resting metabolic rate (ie burn more calories doing every day stuff).

Take it slow and increase every week or so not every day.

Diet
    Start off my elimination the junk. Sugary Soft-drinks, Loaded Sugar Juices, beer, chips, cookies, cakes, etc. Drink Plenty of Water and find healthy foods that you like. You are not going on a "DIET" you are changing eating habits for the rest of your life. When you slip up and indulge just try to do better then next day. Deprivation is not going to work for most people. You can still have pizza or a burger, or steak but in moderation.

Sleep
    This is the most overlooked factor and one that you might struggle with since you said you work nights. Your sleeping quarters need to be dark. Get blackout curtains and try to get 6-8 good hours of sleep a day. It does not need to be continues but its better if it is.

As you start off you might need to be militant with yourself to build good habits but in the long run it will pay off.

Best of luck to you mate!

Perseverance, dedication, motivation and overall being smart. Everyone on here can give you tons and tons of food and routine advice. Bottom line, is do research and try new things to see what will work best for you. And just stay committed that is so important, when you are lacking motivation to get up and work out, have to push through and make it happen. After you stay solid for like 3 weeks, it should become routine. Between consistent exercise and eating SMARTER you will be just fine, you dont have to go all panic mode on food, just be smart about it.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Deleted
    There are lots of ways to lose weight, it depends on what you want to do though.

Personally I keep myself slim by living on a liquid diet. I feel in control over what I eat, I can get the ingredients and know exactly what I'm putting in. It's also a lot of fun coming up with new combinations. With everything blended together you add stuff thats good for you but you don't like (like Celery, eww). It's also cheap and convenient (takes like 2 minutes to make).

I do have "proper" meals throughout the week though, mainly chicken and vegetables.

We don't have any sugary snacks in the apartment, sounds boring but they are the biggest waste of time and money. A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips is said a lot but it really is relevant :P.

McDonalds 24/7
    We didn't wipe 100 times. We just found 100 ways how not to down a boss.

I 38 and used to weight 268 lbs. Now I weigh 150 (the same weight I was in high school). It took me about a year to lose all the weight. Something to keep in mind: Weight Loss happens in the kitchen. Muscle Building happens in the gym. Both contribute to a healthier you.

The short and sweet of it is that I got here by changing my eating habits and exercise. I am reluctant to use the word diet. Diet implies a temporary change in eating until you achieve a set goal. Diet may not mean that, but most people think of it that way. What I did was make a lifestyle change. I know I’m going to sound all “infomercial-self-help-book” now, but it’s the truth. I want to stress though that this whole process is an evolution. You can't just start with an extreme change of eating and a marathon run every day. It's baby steps and it took me over a year to get from where I started to where I am. Find what works for YOU.

The best tips I can give are:

1) Eat when you’re hungry. Just be mindful of WHAT you eat and HOW MUCH. You should never be hungry while losing weight. That’s the trick you need to figure out: how to eat less bad stuff, eat more good stuff (within reason), and to not be hungry while you do it.

2) Eat slowly. Every 3-4 bites take a sip of your drink. This not only helps make controlled portions last longer, but it fills you up so you aren’t hungry AND hydrates you. I have 2-3 glasses of 0 cal green tea with every major meal and it takes 15-30 minutes for me to finish eating.

3) Avoid beverages with calories when you can. Sometimes it’s inevitable but make the majority of what you drink calorie free. It’ll hydrate you without packing on pounds. I never have an empty glass for very long. I piss like a race horse all day but I’m never hungry and always hydrated. And hey, getting up to use the bathroom is getting me some easy calorie burn!

4) Eat foods you love! You might love fast food but maybe there are healthier alternatives you love too! Find them! Hell, most fast food places have a calorie menu. Look at it and put together as calorically frugal a meal as you can from it! Make that meal a special treat once in a while!

5) Eat regularly. Not everyone can stick to a schedule to eat like I do, but try to consume healthy foods every 3 to 4 hours. This lets your body know fuel is always incoming and it should be free to spend energy and not store it as fat.

6) Record your weight once a week. Every Sunday I record my weight for the week. Seeing your progress helps motivate you. Seeing a lack of progress can tell you something you’re doing isn’t working or that you’ve hit a plateau and may need to change things up a bit. Or sometimes you just retained water that week.

7) Try to eat high sodium meals early in the week and low sodium later in the week. This helps you avoid water retention on “weigh day”.

8) Exfoliate and moisturize every day! What’s this have to do with weight loss? Well the older and/or heavier you are the more loose skin you’re going to have as you lose weight. Exfoliating and moisturizing regularly will help tighten that loose skin. A lot of people don’t discover this annoying fact till AFTER they lose the weight and they have unsightly loose skin hanging from them. There’s no reason you can’t improve skin elasticity and encourage new tighter skin to form WHILE you lose the pounds! It’s worth doing, trust me.

9) Don’t get discouraged! You are going to have weeks of little or no weight loss. Too much stress, too much sodium, or just stubborn fat cells that refuse to release water weeks after they are depleted of energy, can all result in progress slowing. As an FYI did you know fat cells never go away? They grow or shrink but they don’t leave. When the energy is burned out of them they are small but immediately after being emptied they fill with water that can take weeks to leave the body!

10) Don’t expect a quick fix. Gimmick pills are just that: Gimmicks. They don’t work. The manufacturers don’t want them to work. They want you to be fat so you keep buying their bogus pills. A caffeine pill will do the same thing. It took me roughly a year to go from 268 to 150. At first you might see many pounds slough off. Don’t get too excited, it’s mostly water weight. A healthy weight loss pace is 0.5 to 2 pounds per week on average. You may see periodic drops in weight that exceed that every month or so as fat cells release water and yes you can smile about that and be encouraged. Those make up for weeks you see much less weight loss because the fat you burned that week was replaced by water retained in the fat cells.

11) Take your vitamins! Make sure you have a good vitamin regimen to go with your healthy eating and exercise.

12) Happy people don’t kill their husbands. Wait… what? That’s actually a reference to a movie quote: “Exercise releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t kill their husbands.” As amusing as the quote is, there’s a grain of truth there. While I may find exercise distasteful, I can’t deny the positive effect it’s had on moderating the extremity of my depression and mood swings. If for no other reason than that, consider some cardio in your plan to lose weight! It’s like telling your body to get you high legally!

13) Listen to your body. And know when NOT to listen. Our bodies like having easy access to energy. They can be lazy just like us and would rather take empty calorie energy they can process quickly and easily into fuel over healthy foods like protein which takes more work to process. It is often suggested that you have an 80/20 eating schedule where you eat healthy 80% of the time and 20% of the time you eat what you want. This can sometimes backfire by giving you intense cravings after the fact for more bad foods.

14) Don’t beat yourself up! There’s no race to lose weight. Some weeks are better than others. Sometimes you retain water for any number of reasons and the scale isn’t telling you the whole story. Take good looks in the mirror. Try on old clothes. Run your hands over your trouble spots. You’ll SEE and FEEL differences in your body that the scale just can’t tell you about!

Deleted
    -My 2step "bikini" season diet-

1; Eat 4-6 meals of whatever the fuck you want but extremely small portions, don't eat until full or even close to full, that is a sin. And eat at fixed times every day(Choose times that fit you best)!
    2; High-Intensity Interval Running! Go to a nearby running track and start sprinting at absolute full speed for about 10 seconds, slow down and jog at a decent pace for 10 seconds to catch your breath a bit, start sprinting at full speed for 10 seconds again and then jog for another 10 seconds. Repeat this for 10-15 minutes or until you feel dizzy and exhausted. Take a 10 minute breather and then find a nice set of stairs, run up and down the stairs as fast as you can until you're exhausted again. The entire routine takes no more than 30 minutes. Do this every day.

This is literally all I do to get into shape. It can be debated if it's healthy or not but it does give results and fast.

Count your calories, don't go above 2000/day.
    Stop the sugar and every kind of sweets there is, including soda.
    Go for a jog. Start out at a low pace and small distances and increase it gradually or you'll wreck your legs.
    Do some basic exercises like push-ups, squats and chins. Without weights.
    And yes, if you can't do even 1 chin, try again tomorrow, eventually you'll make it and soon enough you'll do 2.

It all requires hella lot of discipline and effort and it ain't easy. But it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I can't think of a reason not to drink coffee or tea.
    + drinking coffee will add 3-5% onto the weight you can lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Running is always good. If you hate that try to walk for like 10 miles each day. Walks in the forest with a dog are great! But you porbably don't have a dog and don't live by the forest... But if you do, awesome! Music helps a lot as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm a bit confused. You're 6'3", and 240lbs.

That's... hardly overweight. Heck... I'm in decent shape, and I weigh just a few pounds less, and 3 inches shorter.

Are you looking for strength training? It hardly sounds like you need to lose weight.
    No he is definitely overweight imo. He need to lose like 30-40 kilos tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Igby View Post
    McDonalds 24/7
    Well aren't you helpful...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by radoguy22 View Post
    exercise harder...eat less
    Captain obvious over here.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2014-04-19 at 08:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    No he is definitely overweight imo. He need to lose like 30-40 kilos tbh.
    70-80kg at 190cm? That sounds sickly thin.

Ketogenic diet, look it up. It's a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Also running is horrible if youre overweight. Its a good way to blow out your knees, ankles, and gives you shin splints
    It's good if you start slowly I've heard. However asthma will totally put out of the equation immediately for a while. Walking is great but 1 hour walks won't do anything really. One has to walk at least 2-3 hours per day imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    70-80kg at 190cm? That sounds sickly thin.
    I am 194cm and 79kg and I still have some fat to lose. Hopefully I will reach 75 sometime. 70 might be a bit too much I'm not sure yet. But yes I'm starting to get a bit thin at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    It's good if you start slowly I've heard. However asthma will totally put out of the equation immediately for a while. Walking is great but 1 hour walks won't do anything really. One has to walk at least 2-3 hours per day imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I am 194cm and 79kg and I still have some fat to lose. Hopefully I will reach 75 sometime. 70 might be a bit too much I'm not sure yet. But yes I'm starting to get a bit thin at least.
    Please don't talk nonsense. Any form of physical activity is at it's very core a form of energy expenditure and thus will help you lose weight by increasing the amount of energy needed to maintain balance. It doesn't matter if it's 1 hour of walking or 1 hour of wanking, when you factor out the relative difference in intensity and thus energy impact it's still activity. Like some guy referenced earlier, for the majority of overweight people running is not recommended due to the very high stress you put on knees, ancles and tendons. Walking/cycling is must better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlack View Post
    Please don't talk nonsense. Any form of physical activity is at it's very core a form of energy expenditure and thus will help you lose weight by increasing the amount of energy needed to maintain balance. It doesn't matter if it's 1 hour of walking or 1 hour of wanking, when you factor out the relative difference in intensity and thus energy impact it's still activity. Like some guy referenced earlier, for the majority of overweight people running is not recommended due to the very high stress you put on knees, ancles and tendons. Walking/cycling is must better.
    Then why do the trainers make the people on biggest loser run? Oh and yes a power walking for a hour is great I suppose. But just a normal walk for 1 hour won't do much at all. To lose 20 kilos I walked 10 miles a day (about 3 hours for me) for 6 months. 1 hour might be better than nothing but unless you walk super fast it won't get you very thin.

Exercising is always good, but to lose weight you have to consume less energy than you spend. This is accomplished by food management. It's hard to lose weight by exercise alone because you need to exercise hard to consume any noticeable amount of energy, especially if your exercise consists of lifting weights. Lifting builds muscle but doesn't require much energy, it's the food that does the trick here. If you can't manage to "just eat less" you got to start counting calories. Do it for a week and see what your daily average is, then try eat so that you are at whatever your average was -500. -500 a day should net you -0.5 kgrams per week in weight loss. If you want to, and can manage it, you can have a bigger deficit than -500 to increase the rate of your wieght loss.

Things to consider/look out for.
    -Eat in such a way that you have an easier time to eat less. For some people it's easier to eat 6+ small meals per day. For others (like me) it's much easier to keep my calorie budget by eating twice or three times per day. Do whatever suits you best here. There is a very old and debunked myth around that you should eat every three hours to keep metabolism high. This has been proven to make virtually zero difference in many studies, yet it still is a common advice for some reason.
    -No eating days, or if you have them, keep them under strict control.
    Many practice the concept of having a day of the week where they can eat whatever they want. Be warned that it's very easy to overstep and consume your entire weeks deficit (and then some) if you don't have control of what you are eating on that day.
    -Binge drinking
    If you're partying once a week or more and drink a lot it's extremely hard to lose weight. Chugging ten beers once a week is enough that you need to be on a rather large deficit to not overstep your calorie budget on this alone, alcoholic beverages contains massive amounts of energy.
    -Avoid drinking anything but water. You can do light sodas if you want, they are <1 calories per 100 ml but water is best obviously. Juice and sodas in general are garbage, they contain massive amounts of energy and you will still be hungry after drinking it.
    -Choose food that make you feel well fed for the longest amount of time. For most people this would be fat and protein with fewer carbs. The health implications of this is still debated heavily.

Good luck!