Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Possible to play Warcraft II?

Is there any way to still play this game? Anywhere I can buy it or download it?

Running Windows 8, if it matters.

There is no official download, it runs on Windows 8 (Battle.net edition - I have it installed right now) and you can buy it on ebay or from resellers at amazon etc :P

Yes it is possible, but forget higher resolutions. And there's one issue, the scrolling/camera speed is absurd.

Deleted
    can't u buy it at the blizz store? they have a category called legacy games I t hink

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    can't u buy it at the blizz store? they have a category called legacy games I t hink
    There you can buy WC3, D2 or SC1, NOT D1 or WC1/2

10+ Year Old Account
    Bleh, it's pretty damn expensive on eBay and Amazon. Thanks for the replies.

I still have my old disks.

That was the best blizzard game. :/ WC3 just didn't match up.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I still have my old disks.

That was the best blizzard game. :/ WC3 just didn't match up.
    I'd argue no RTS ever matched up. SC2 was close.

I had an issue with windows 7, couldn't get mine to run, so not sure how well it would even run on 8 like others are saying. Might just be worth waiting for the remakes that Blizzard talked slightly about at BlizzCon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I had an issue with windows 7, couldn't get mine to run, so not sure how well it would even run on 8 like others are saying. Might just be worth waiting for the remakes that Blizzard talked slightly about at BlizzCon.
    Hm, besides from the high scroll speed I have absolutly no problems at running it :/

There is two options to play it, DOSbox and the ps1 version.

The battle net edition runs fine without dosbox ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    DOSbox works great. WC2 is (i may be mistaken here) abandonware at this point? Blizz themselves don't even sell it.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Interwebs has its ways for you to play this game this day.

I'm hoping they remaster WC1 and WC2 for the franchise's big anniversary this year.

I'm also hoping for a pony.

My best suggestion would be to use a VM back to XP. Im almost certain it worked on XP. If not im sure you could VM 95 or 98.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    I'm hoping they remaster WC1 and WC2 for the franchise's big anniversary this year.

I'm also hoping for a pony.
    Eh... mixed feelings at this idea.

I preferred the art style of WC2 over later styles. >_> I wouldn't want their revamp to change that.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edoran View Post
    Is there any way to still play this game? Anywhere I can buy it or download it?

Running Windows 8, if it matters.
    In a case where the original developer has dropped support for and is no longer selling the game, I think there's justification in procuring a 'liberated' version of the game online. If you would like, I can send you the links in PM. Not posting here as I don't want a do-gooder mod freaking out on me.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyle View Post
    And there's one issue, the scrolling/camera speed is absurd.
    This problem is present only in the original Warcraft 2. In the Battle.net edition it has been fixed. This is, actually, enough reason already to play this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Eh... mixed feelings at this idea.

I preferred the art style of WC2 over later styles. >_> I wouldn't want their revamp to change that.
    They could just format the game for 1920 x 1080, update any bugs, and provide some server support and have it available digitally; nothing else changes. I would be very happy with that.