Thread: Gnome Hunters

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    But the mighty Dragons they have as Mounts are different?
    you summon the dragon mount and it appears between your legs, have you ever stood next to your mount?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    First of all - the plural of shaman is shamans. It's not a shaMAN like in superMAN or batMAN. Just like women who practises shamanism isn't shawoman, but shamanka.

Also, what you have posted is not a hunter. It's a typicall steampunk/anime thing, nothing to do with how hunters are depicted in wow.

Gnome death knights/warriors/monks/priests are enough, we don't need any more of this stupid filler race prancing around.
    Only in America, the word is Shamen. One Shamen, two Shamen, Female Shamen. and it is pronounced Shay-Men not Shaw-man. As for Filler races, only pandaren were a Joke filler race. Gnomes were a major part of Warcraft since WC2.

The real truth why Gnomes are not Hunters, is the Racial 'Escape Artist'

Escape Artist Gnome Racial
    Instant 1.5 min cooldown
    Escape the effects of any immobilization or movement speed reduction effect.
    It removes one of the only weaknesses a Hunter has, which in PVP makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    I really think the only reason we didn't get Gnome hunters in Cataclysm is because Blizzard deemed their racial too OP for hunters in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    By that logic the human racial should allow them to not play any class at all ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    you summon the dragon mount and it appears between your legs, have you ever stood next to your mount?
    That is silly, you are talking a game mechanic, when talking a lore reason. When looking at the lore, your mount doesn't disappear, it would be standing near you or waiting outside. If you go to Mount specific venders they don't have pictures they have the creature standing around them.
    In some cases you get the mount by defeating the creature as well. So yes technically the creature would be standing next to you.

However for game mechanics only one mount lets you stand next to it.

Mekgineer's Chopper - has an ability that lets you stand next to it, forgot the slash command for it. And I'm not logged in to the game to look it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    By that logic the human racial should allow them to not play any class at all ...
    True it is strong. But if too many of one faction racials are strong in PVP someone will cry foul. Which is why they get changed every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Only in America, the word is Shamen. One Shamen, two Shamen, Female Shamen. and it is pronounced Shay-Men not Shaw-man. As for Filler races, only pandaren were a Joke filler race. Gnomes were a major part of Warcraft since WC2.

The real truth why Gnomes are not Hunters, is the Racial 'Escape Artist'

It removes one of the only weaknesses a Hunter has, which in PVP makes a huge difference.
    Yeah I forgot that americans have their own spelling for every foreign word... After all, it's spelled šamán, take that as you will.

Gnomes are a filler race, like it or not. In pre-wow warcraft, all those alliance technical wonders, like tanks and planes, were made and used by dwarves.

Inb4 muh lore, muh mechanognomes, muh curse of flesh... take Uldum for example. "B-but i-it was cloaked you know! It was there the whole time, you just couldn't see it!" Yeah, same bullshit like gnomes who suddenly jumped out of their holes. What am I trying to say is, that they can come up with any bullshit and it's only up to you if you want to take it as legit. Another example - and probably the best for this - is a tauren paladin. Yeah, they made up a pretty little story about it, but many people - including me - are simply not gonna accept it. Even pandas make more sense.

Anyway, what you posted is a bunch of anime steampunk elves, not even close to what a gnome nor a hunter is in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I forgot that americans have their own spelling for every foreign word... After all, it's spelled šamán, take that as you will.

Gnomes are a filler race, like it or not. In pre-wow warcraft, all those alliance technical wonders, like tanks and planes, were made and used by dwarves.

Inb4 muh lore, muh mechanognomes, muh curse of flesh... take Uldum for example. "B-but i-it was cloaked you know! It was there the whole time, you just couldn't see it!" Yeah, same bullshit like gnomes who suddenly jumped out of their holes. What am I trying to say is, that they can come up with any bullshit and it's only up to you if you want to take it as legit. Another example - and probably the best for this - is a tauren paladin. Yeah, they made up a pretty little story about it, but many people - including me - are simply not gonna accept it. Even pandas make more sense.

Anyway, what you posted is a bunch of anime steampunk elves, not even close to what a gnome nor a hunter is in wow.
    In the source book for WC2, it was gnomes that made the techno wonders. in WC3 they were lazy and did not include them, and had Dwarves use the techno wonders. Sorry but you are wrong.

Gnomish Submarine WC2 unit

Gnomish Flying Machine WC2 unit

I'm pretty sure the gnome who says he has a flying machine while he is flying the flying machine is in fact a gnome flying a gnomish flying machine. There's also the submarine.

I agree there isn't huge representation for them, but this portion of your comment isn't accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sunxsera View Post
    i really don `t like gnomes, but hunter fit gnomes more than tauren / undead in my opineon.
    Tauren Hunters are one of the most iconic hunters in the game. They're like renegade Apache braves. Pistol or bow and arrow.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Filler races, only pandaren were a Joke filler race.
    Every single race in this game from WC1 to WC3 is a comedic spoof of their traditional fantasy counterpart created to be a joke.
    They walked around in cartoony over the top goofy graphics saying funny things with funny voices and accents.
    Existing simultaneously with an underlying world of serious lore beneath it all. THEY ARE ALL comedic spoofs, some more than others.
    Stupid cavemen orcs, humans with giant chins and knight in shining armor voices, rastafarian voodoo trolls, drunken scottish dwarves, prissy snobby high elves, drug addicted mana crazed blood elves, worg riders complaining about worg farts, units you clicked too much that got pissed off at you breaking the 4th wall even further as they talk to you and acknowledge you're existence as the person playing the game, pop culture jokes all over the place.

You're a victim of selective judgement and confirmation bias. You just don't like Pandaren and you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Probably because of Kung Fu Panda I would bet.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-18 at 08:12 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post

<words words words>
    man I hope the tauren redesign has legs as fluffy as that!

In the source book for WC2, it was gnomes that made the techno wonders. in WC3 they were lazy and did not include them, and had Dwarves use the techno wonders. Sorry but you are wrong.

Gnomish Submarine WC2 unit

Gnomish Flying Machine WC2 unit
    Guess you're right on that one, gotta say I haven't played WCII.

Still doesn't justify making those midgets ruin even more classes though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren Hunters are one of the most iconic hunters in the game. They're like renegade Apache braves. Pistol or bow and arrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Every single race in this game from WC1 to WC3 is a comedic spoof of their traditional fantasy counterpart created to be a joke.
    They walked around in cartoony over the top goofy graphics saying funny things with funny voices and accents.
    Existing simultaneously with an underlying world of serious lore beneath it all. THEY ARE ALL comedic spoofs, some more than others.
    Stupid cavemen orcs, humans with giant chins and knight in shining armor voices, rastafarian voodoo trolls, drunken scottish dwarves, prissy snobby high elves, drug addicted mana crazed blood elves, worg riders complaining about worg farts, units you clicked too much that got pissed off at you breaking the 4th wall even further as they talk to you and acknowledge you're existence as the person playing the game, pop culture jokes all over the place.

You're a victim of selective judgement and confirmation bias. You just don't like Pandaren and you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Probably because of Kung Fu Panda I would bet.
    Not at all selective judgment and not confirmation bias.

A. Humor is one of the great selling points of the game. That includes pop culture 4th wall breaks.
    B. I was pointing out Gnomes were full units in WC2, and the tech was gnamed for Gnomes.
    C. Panderans were an unlocked bonus hero unit, and it played on the a bunch of humor points. Chen Stormstout was added to the Ogrimar Horde bonus RPG at the end of WC3. He was a humor filler character, which played on many Anime tropes. Pandaren were not a Multiplayer unit option in WC3, Gnomes were a Multiplayer and a Solo Campaign Unit in WC2.

So my reasoning for calling Pandaren a filler race is not because of some movie from 10 years ago, but because I played WC2 15 years ago, and I played WC3 12 years ago.

I also know the characters that Panderan were based on.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you're right on that one, gotta say I haven't played WCII.

Still doesn't justify making those midgets ruin even more classes though...
    You see you are admitting that you dislike the race, that doesn't mean you have a valid point, I dislike forsaken, I was the first to argue they needed Hunters. As I said previously Several classes should be open to all races, warriors, Rogues, Priests, mage, and Hunters.

Races that didn't get the Standard Classes.

Orcs - No Mage (fixed), No Priests
    Tauren - No Rogues
    Draenei - No Rogues
    Gnomes - No Priests (fixed), No Hunters
    Dwarf - No Mage (fixed)
    Night Elf - No Mage (fixed)
    Human - No Hunters (fixed)
    Forsaken - No Hunters (fixed)
    Blood Elves - no Warrior (fixed)

Yes I advocate Orcs get Priests, Tauren and Draenei get Rogues, Gnomes get Hunters. The rest of the classes are in D&D terms Hybrid classes, as such racial separations should exist.

Paladins, Shamen, Druids, Warlocks, Monks, and Death Knights should have racial limits.

If they add additional classes ever that class should have racial limits. Hunters are a base class like warrior, rogue, mage and Priest.

BTW hybrid class in D&D term is a class that has the characteristics of two or more classes.

Paladin - Preist & Fighter (Warrior)
    Monk - Priest & thief
    Bard - mage & thief
    Druid - Preist & mage (a D&D Druid has a pet companion and casts nature spells, they can also turn into animals after level 4)
    Shamen - Priest & Mage (very similar to the druid, only no shapeshift and the animal companion is a spirit animal)
    Anti-paladin (Death Knight) - priest & mage & fighter

I would say Pandaren were far more inspired by Usagi Yojimbo and Samwise' love of Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi and Kurosawa movies.
    He just chose a Panda because of his personal nick name, not because Panda Khan and Ranma inspired him to draw samurai Pandas. This was a drawing created for his daughter based on his love of Lone Wolf and Cub and his nick name. I would submit to the court the existence of Ranma or Panda Khan or non existence would have had no effect whatsoever on the existence of this image and their creation.

Panda Khan was kind of a generic Usagi rip off I imagine is nothing but an example of convergent evolution in creative development. And the Ranma Panda is just a further example of convergence. Anthro animals based on the culture of the nations they are native to speak for themself, you don't have to make such direct connections of cross pollinating inspiration. Pandaren were changed from samurai to be more Chinese aesthetic wise and they took on the archetype of the Fat Happy Buddha, pretty much spiritual brothers to dwarves. They were also left without the strong warrior identity of Samuria, and were then based on these guys from Big Trouble in Little China, once they went with a more Chinese aesthetic.

I think taking the time to claim one race is MORE of a joke filler spoof race than any other in this game as if it has any distinction worth valuing is an indication of bias because you're really not showing one has a place more than another, you're just clarifying at the most pedantic scale for the sake of a technicality in classification. What makes Pandaren so different beyond superficial hair splitting? So one race is more of a joke than another joke race. Congratulations, I suppose there's some progress there if you pull out that microscope of judgment over subjective aesthetics.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-18 at 09:49 AM.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say Pandaren were far more inspired by Usagi Yojimbo and Samwise' love of Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi and Kurosawa movies.
    He just chose a Panda because of his personal nick name, not because Panda Khan and Ranma inspired him to draw samurai Pandas.
    You realize Panda Khan is a Usagi Yojimbo and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Character. I used his image specifically because he was a Panda, and Not a Rabbit since well Usagi is a kick ass Rabbit, and not a Panda. The general level of knowledge of 80s and early 90s comic book characters on these forums is highly limited. And I posted what I did because I doubted anyone could make the connection with out seeing a panda.

As for the Ranma Character, so much of the Pandaren Expansion has Ranma influence it is surprising we haven't run into a gender bending Martial Artist Panda yet.

@Gothicshark - every time I see your BACON signature it stops me in my tracks and I stare at it and think about it and want it!

Now onto Gnome hunters, I am for a gnome hunter, they for sure would be using some sort of fancy tech built gun. I am not a fan of guns in the game I don't like the sound for guns it gets annoying so I always go with crossbow and bow but if I had a gnome hunter you better believe I would be mogging to a gun, also I think I read somewhere they will be adding a range of sounds to make guns more enjoyable to listen to but I have no idea where I saw it or maybe its all in my head who knows *giggles*

GNOMES (adorable) and GOBLINS (sassy) are awesome

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    As long as they go with that one guy's idea, and the gnomes get baby-pet versions of all the mobs as their hunter-pet.
    Yes please, so many yesses, all of them even, all the yesses.

Let every race be every class, it doesen't matter anyway at this point. It wouldn't have worked in Vanilla, neither would Forsaken Paladins, but WoW is a very different game now, and I don't see why not.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2014-02-18 at 10:21 AM.

Orcs - No Mage (fixed), No Priests
    Tauren - No Rogues
    Draenei - No Rogues
    Gnomes - No Priests (fixed), No Hunters
    Dwarf - No Mage (fixed)
    Night Elf - No Mage (fixed)
    Human - No Hunters (fixed)
    Forsaken - No Hunters (fixed)
    Blood Elves - no Warrior (fixed)

Yes I advocate Orcs get Priests, Tauren and Draenei get Rogues, Gnomes get Hunters. The rest of the classes are in D&D terms Hybrid classes, as such racial separations should exist.
    I just can't see a Tauren or Draenei being a rogue, shoes don't cover their hooves and it would be difficult to sneak around with hooves pitter pattering around (I am sure its a terrible argument just my opinion)...also the males are huge, you need smaller races that can quickly slip away in a small dark corner for rogues, gnomes and goblins are perfect for the stealthy class and I also love the female belf stealth. I absolutely love the male and female goblin stealth it fits their personality perfectly
    Last edited by Faenavi; 2014-02-18 at 10:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think taking the time to claim one race is MORE of a joke filler spoof race than any other in this game as if it has any distinction worth valuing is an indication of bias because you're really not showing one has a place more than another, you're just clarifying at the most pedantic scale for the sake of a technicality in classification. What makes Pandaren so different beyond superficial hair splitting? So one race is more of a joke than another joke race. Congratulations, I suppose there's some progress there if you pull out that microscope of judgment over subjective aesthetics.
    Not at all you are jumping to a conclusion which is not based on what I said.

My point is Gnomes are and have been a major part of the Alliance since Warcraft 2. Due to laziness which Blizzard admitted to back then, they forgot to include them in Warcraft 3. As a joke, and because Samwise thought it would be Kickass they had a side character Pandaren, also something they admitted to at the time of release.

So as to origins, Gnomes were never a joke filler race, Pandaren were. This does not take away or add to the importance of these races 15 years later. Gnomes were added back for the initial Release of WOW before the High Elves. Pandaren were not, although the art work for Pandaren remained constant in the background of Warcraft publications. After the release of a particular film the popularity of the unused race went up. But that has nothing to do with why they added them as a player race. In the end they wanted to add them because they felt Pandaren were a cool race that fans of the game would enjoy. They made the Pandaren Expansion and added Monk because they felt it all fit nicely. I think they failed to capture the majority of WOW fans with it, but I do think what they did worked as a package deal. I would have done it differently and invented something unique for Pandaria instead of what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pixietinker View Post
    I just can't see a Tauren or Draenei being a rogue, shoes don't cover their hooves and it would be difficult to sneak around with hooves pitter pattering around (I am sure its a terrible argument just my opinion)...also the males are huge, you need smaller races that can quickly slip away in a small dark corner for rogues, gnomes and goblins are perfect for the stealthy class and I also love the female belf stealth.

"Hello My name is Akama and I am a Draenai, I use stealth and Backstabe, My class is that of a Rogue" The First Draenai in Warcraft was a rogue. Yes he is now called a Broken Draenai, but there is nothing stopping the Pre-Corrupted Draenai from being rogues, as such player characters should have this option.

Also there is the problem, Grimtotem Mercenaries are in fact Tauren Rogues.
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=11911/grimtotem-mercenary#abilities

So here we have the First Draenai are rogues, and in game NPCs are Tauren Rogues.

You realize Panda Khan is a Usagi Yojimbo and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Character. I used his image specifically because he was a Panda, and Not a Rabbit since well Usagi is a kick ass Rabbit, and not a Panda. The general level of knowledge of 80s and early 90s comic book characters on these forums is highly limited. And I posted what I did because I doubted anyone could make the connection with out seeing a panda.

As for the Ranma Character, so much of the Pandaren Expansion has Ranma influence it is surprising we haven't run into a gender bending Martial Artist Panda yet.
    I realize these things abundantly with the knowledge of a TMNT scholar on par with any PHD historian
    I have been a TMNT fan since Eastman and Laird, predating the cartoon. I have been a Stan Saki fan for just as long. I know the entire origin of Panda Khan. He was borrowed for an action figure and had a life all his own outside of TMNT canon and was part of a cross over. They all have independent origins and only met up through cross overs as the creators were real life friends.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Panda_Khan

None of this matters. Samwise used a panda because of his alias, and he used samurai because of Lone Wolf and Cub and what appears to be visually homage to Usagi. Any similarity to Panda is one of convergence, coincidence, I would argue as an academic on all things MIrage Studios, Elfquest, and late 70s, 80s, and 90s comic book characters.

I find it hard to separate Ranma from Chinese folklore and convergent spoof in general.

But this is a distraction from all I wanted to make a point over. Claiming Pandaren's humorous element being more humorous in it's scope than the humorous elements all races were based on as a foundational basis for criticism next to any other race is selective judgment beyond the most pedantic of hair splitting I would opt. Orcs making sexually originated ZUG ZUG jokes based on Ringo's Caveman movie is just so much more distinguished I suppose?

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all you are jumping to a conclusion which is not based on what I said.

My point is Gnomes are and have been a major part of the Alliance since Warcraft 2. Due to laziness which Blizzard admitted to back then, they forgot to include them in Warcraft 3. As a joke, and because Samwise thought it would be Kickass they had a side character Pandaren, also something they admitted to at the time of release.

So as to origins, Gnomes were never a joke filler race, Pandaren were.
    Filler race. Filler race. That seems to be the entire backbone here for your special pleading ALL WOW races are a joke race. All of them. From the very beginning. IN game, the world is a joke, a spoof of the serious lore. In the lore itself, it's all serious. The in game models and voice acting is however a strange and blurred line between outright blatant 4th wall breaking pop culture jokes and humorous spoofs based on lore itself and then sometimes it's gets serious, with no rhyme or reason.

I think ignoring the Pandaren were the most requested fan race of all time is coloring your judgement here based on your own personal opinion on them.

Establish for me what makes something a filler race and what makes something a legitimate race. As someone who personally creates my own imaginary characters and worlds, inspiration comes from 100 different places. Making distinctions over that is just demonstrating to me you are looking for reasons to present something as less legitimate than another.

What makes something a filler race?
    How do you know any race in this game was just a random sketch on a sketch pad a dev saw and decided they should make it a real race? Does that make it a filler race?

This is all special pleading.
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-18 at 11:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone in the Horde can become a Gnome Hunter. Oh wait. You mean a gnome with a class hunter, not someone who hunts gnomes for sport... oops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize these things abundantly with the knowledge of a TMNT scholar on par with any PHD historian
    I have been a TMNT fan since Eastman and Laird, predating the cartoon. I have been a Stan Saki fan for just as long. I know the entire origin of Panda Khan. He was borrowed for an action figure and had a life all his own outside of TMNT canon and was part of a cross over. They all have independent origins and only met up through cross overs as the creators were real life friends.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Panda_Khan

None of this matters. Samwise used a panda because of his alias, and he used samurai because of Lone Wolf and Cub and what appears to be visually homage to Usagi. Any similarity to Panda is one of convergence, coincidence, I would argue as an academic on all things MIrage Studios, Elfquest, and late 70s, 80s, and 90s comic book characters.

I find it hard to separate Ranma from Chinese folklore and convergent spoof in general.

But this is a distraction from all I wanted to make a point over. Claiming Pandaren's humorous element being more humorous in it's scope than the humorous elements all races were based on as a foundational basis for criticism next to any other race is selective judgment beyond the most pedantic of hair splitting I would opt. Orcs making sexually originated ZUG ZUG jokes based on Ringo's Caveman movie is just so much more distinguished I suppose?

- - - Updated - - -

Filler race. Filler race. That seems to be the entire backbone here for your special pleading ALL WOW races are a joke race. All of them. From the very beginning. IN game, the world is a joke, a spoof of the serious lore. In the lore itself, it's all serious. The in game models and voice acting is however a strange and blurred line between outright blatant 4th wall breaking pop culture jokes and humorous spoofs based on lore itself and then sometimes it's gets serious, with no rhyme or reason.

I think ignoring the PAndaren were the most request fan race of all time is coloring your judgement here based on your own personal opinion on them.

You make a lot of assumptions.

You claim, to think you know my opinion of the Pandaren race, and yet it is clear you do not. You are being obtuse over the comic book characters when if you read what I said, I doubted anyone on these forums were familiar with any of those characters, so I picked the one that looked closest, not the one Samwise probably has a subscription to. Congratulations, on your obsession with little known comic characters. I for one had that obsession when I was in the Marines back in 1990, Since that time I stopped reading comic books altogether. But I do remember them fondly, and once in a blue moon I will get a collected works volume.

As to origins I am pointing out Samwise has stated in interviews how he came up with Pandaren and why they were included in the game. Those events are quite litterally last minuet additions because everyone loved his picture of a Pandaren he drew for fun. Granted that first Pandaren was a Fictionalized version of a Nickname his brother gave him.

First Picture of a Pandaren. Used as a Aprils 1st 1999 Joke and a semi-selfie of Samwise

Yes they are the most requested fan race, yes fans reaction to the picture on April 1st 1999 caused them to add them to the game. Blizzard has a long history of making stuff for Fans, and doing an Amazing Job at it.

The fact is Pandaren were a Joke that became a loved race, Gnomes were designed into the game and get very little respect. And the guys at Blizzard have always had a sense of humor which is a large part of why their games have been some of the best.