Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Why 12-13k and not 11-12 or 13-14?

Deleted
    I've looked around at some kill videos on other druids raiding 10 man that has taken down at least spoils heroic and they had between 15-17k spirit.

Some of the ones who advocate low spirit in here don't raid 10 man heroic or hasn't come very far in hc.

What's best in theory isn't always best in practice. We're all humans who play and humans are far from perfect, we make mistakes. Some more than others, and therefor how much spirit you need will differ.

Spirit makes a difference, you can't compare it to strength gems. If you don't use up the regen that spirit gives you then it's a waste, but if you use it then it's not a waste.

Your raid setup makes a differene too, if you can get mana from hymn or mana tide that changes things. Also how much damage your raid takes from avoidable stuff. You need to have a level of spirit that works for you and your raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wir View Post
    I've looked around at some kill videos on other druids raiding 10 man that has taken down at least spoils heroic and they had between 15-17k spirit.

Some of the ones who advocate low spirit in here don't raid 10 man heroic or hasn't come very far in hc.

What's best in theory isn't always best in practice. We're all humans who play and humans are far from perfect, we make mistakes. Some more than others, and therefor how much spirit you need will differ.

Spirit makes a difference, you can't compare it to strength gems. If you don't use up the regen that spirit gives you then it's a waste, but if you use it then it's not a waste.

Your raid setup makes a differene too, if you can get mana from hymn or mana tide that changes things. Also how much damage your raid takes from avoidable stuff. You need to have a level of spirit that works for you and your raid.
    I am one who advocates low spirit (in this thread too), and I have done 14/14 heroic 10man with 9600 spirit so I think I can speak from experience here (link in sig). Also I think high throughput stats were especially vital on heroic spoils, back in progression. I don't think I could have kept the raid alive as well as I could with a low spirit setup. I think spoils hc is one fight where there are very distinct high and low damage phases and where throughput is vital. And as soon as I got some more gear and secondary stats, I could start innervating our shadowpriest because mana wasn't an issue any more.

Raid setup obviously makes a difference, but on spoils not so much as you cant get mana tide there anyway. Though for example having a resto shaman on 10man Thok is a pretty vital for sure. I'd say if you have more than usual "bonus" raid damage in heroic encounters, that should usually favor throughput more than spirit, as taking bonus damage usually makes hp bars quite spiky, and a low throughput setup might not keep everyone alive.

Also, everytime you finish a boss fight without going oom in it at least once, you have wasted stats in spirit that could have been better placed elsewhere. However if you run out of mana, be it a low spirit or a high spirit healer, it doesn't always mean that you need more spirit. You might have played worse than usual and wasted more mana on overheal than you should, or your raid might have died earlier rather than later when you went oom.

Regardless, this is quite a subjective topic and its difficult to argue something being the "right choice". Still discussion is important and if a new player does actually read these with thought, he should have a better understanding on how to gear and decide his amount of spirit. Only hard fact that can be said is that if you do end fights with mana to spare, or are wiping on a progress boss with no mana issues and a lot of mana to spare at the time of wipe, you should probably try raiding with less spirit.