Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If Herbs and Ore Were Like Chests On Timeless Isle...

I know, without a doubt, nothing will ever appeal to every player in the game. But, I had this thought cross my mind earlier. What if ore and herb nodes were phased to players just like the chests on Timeless Isle? Would people be happier to see others in the zone knowing there is no real competition for resources?

It really doesn't bother me in the slightest since I have the highest flight speed and a DK bonus. I move just as fast as my Paladin ever did. So really I am not concerned for myself. I just feel bad seeing lowbies trying to level a prof and people like me who are just out mining or herbing swoop in an take it when they are still 50 ft away.

Thoughts?

no, the competition is good. And it slows bots.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I just wonder if no one competed for resources if it would make demand plummet since it is more plentiful.

10+ Year Old Account
    If ore and herbs were phased per player it would be a wonderful thing!

But so many 'players' who do nothing but farm and 'play' the AH would whine like two-year-olds and Blizzard knows it.

I saw the title and thought you meant "what if herb/ore nodes were personal and never respawned?"

Now that would drive up the value like nobody's business. :P

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I just wonder if no one competed for resources if it would make demand plummet since it is more plentiful.
    It would. Bots would have no competition, ore would lose pretty much all value.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prices and availability didn't seem to change much when they nerfed a bunch of the nodes a month or two into MoP, at least not on my server at the time

FF14 had this system and it works pretty well. Demand can be created several ways, and one could be keeping while there is no competition for it, the number and respawn of nodes are greatly reduced. You can also do it by requiring vast amount of the resource. The trick is finding that happy medium.

Frankly I thought the number of nodes and the respawn rate this expansion was way way to high even after they nerfed it slightly. Whille you can still make gold selling it, my herbing/mining combo has been far less profitable than in expansions past.

Doesn't help that there was only a handful of items even worth making, and most of those weren't limited in any way other than a CD timer which made it really easy to keep enough resources without needing to buy anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    FF14 had this system and it works pretty well.
    Kinda what I was thinking as I wrote it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the current system works, not everything has to be individualised. I like that the world is the world for the large part and everyone can interact.

That moment when you beat someone else to the node and you get that little cheeky smirk crosses your face. I'd miss that feeling!
    Hi

FF14 had a very different resource, economy and profession system.

The biggest difference any MMO has from any other MMO is not its art or content, its the economic system it has running. Almost to the point of being incomparable in nature.

basicly what I mean is. Including a big change like this from the start is very different from inserting it in the middle of something quite different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I know, without a doubt, nothing will ever appeal to every player in the game. But, I had this thought cross my mind earlier. What if ore and herb nodes were phased to players just like the chests on Timeless Isle? Would people be happier to see others in the zone knowing there is no real competition for resources?

It really doesn't bother me in the slightest since I have the highest flight speed and a DK bonus. I move just as fast as my Paladin ever did. So really I am not concerned for myself. I just feel bad seeing lowbies trying to level a prof and people like me who are just out mining or herbing swoop in an take it when they are still 50 ft away.

Thoughts?
    I think all gathering prof items should be BoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    That would just force people to level 6+ characters for the sake of having access to materials. Instead, maybe make them sellable to a vendor for an inflated price and allow other players to purchase from that vendor at a marked up rate. So, i.e.- I would sell my Golden Lotus to the herb vendor for 25g, and another player could buy it for 30g. Though, this would do little more than start a vendor trend eliminating the need for an Auction House.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    I completely disagree with that, mainly because like any economy, the most basic of things can often times be what sustains it. Mining, Herbing, etc. makes for an easy way for new players to get involved in the AH/economy. It also allows more established players to not farm if they choose not too. The trick of it all is to balance it out so that the resource is not to hard to get, but also not so easy its worthless.

Right now in MoP I kind of feel thats where we've gotten with mats and resources, so easy to get they have no value. If you'll notice the only things that have any real cost associated with them are things tied to CD's, the resources are useless because the CD bottlenecks it. You aren't paying 10k for a belt because the resources are hard to get, you are paying 10k because of all of the CD's needed to make it. Thats a change that started in WotLK, but has only gotten worse since imo.

Frankly the entire crafting system needs an overhaul badly, including the part resources play into that.

It would be nice to not see other people farming for ore not have to race them to each node. Would be nice to have other players not be a hindrance to whatever it is I'm farming.

Deleted
    Are you kidding? The current systems encourages botting.

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Are you kidding? The current systems encourages botting.
    While it encourages botting, blizzard has also slowed down respawn rates on ore and herbs in order to slow down bots as well. Doesn't matter what you do to nodes, bots will bot and people will continue to use them to gather resources. There is no solution to stopping botting.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Biggest problem with WoW: creating grand, far-reaching solutions to miniscule or non-existant "problems". Making nodes phased for players would in turn effect all other professions that use those mats, significantly altering the economy and the entire WoW profession system...all so a few level 6s in Elwynn Forest don't have their copper stolen by a 90 with flying? Nope, sorry, overblown response. Better idea: give the lvl 6 a month to get to 90 and then we can all forget this was ever an "issue".

Deleted
    Really? Really? Does anybody actually have the remotest bit of fun in having to compete for nodes? Why are we competing with people on our own faction anyway? You have a point with the bots but Blizzard should just ban more bots, not design the game to be inconvenient for the players so the bots have a hard time as well. Although let's be honest usually it will be the bots stealing player's nodes, not the other way around.

Are people seriously that unable to deal with other players in a mmo ?