Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    They would need make spell effects less flashy, would be unplayable otherwise.
    well last i heard they were trying to make it so you only saw your spell effects and animations. to lessen the lag
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    well last i heard they were trying to make it so you only saw your spell effects and animations. to lessen the lag
    Even without the return of the 40 man raids, that would be a nice bonus. Or, even just diminish the appearance of the spell while in a group. It could look spectacular when solo, and look very basic when in a large group.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Even without the return of the 40 man raids, that would be a nice bonus. Or, even just diminish the appearance of the spell while in a group. It could look spectacular when solo, and look very basic when in a large group.
    yeah. it would help alot. hopefully they can figure it out.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  4. #204
    Elemental Lord Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    8,295
    No 40 mans would be a failure, The community has long & forgotten 40 mans. It would cause more problems than help.

  5. #205
    Mechagnome Nyshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Deimos
    Posts
    546
    40man sounds like a fun clusterfuck, I'd like to experience it sometime but I doubt it'll come back.

    Big thanks to Shyama for the sig <3

  6. #206
    I wouldn't participate in a 40 man raid. I hated doing AQ 40 and such back in the day. It would be largely ignored, I would guess. Too much lag, too much loot competition.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    Btw: *Tanaan, *Farahlon, *Arakkoa. Not that hard.

  7. #207
    Immortal Tizzlefix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    7,060
    40 man raids were fun because they were unbalanced, the entire game back then was unbalanced and it had a certain charm to it. Now the game has changed (in my personal opinion for the worst) and 40 mans would no longer work though who's to say if given a shot they may, can't know until tested.

  8. #208
    Dont see why they cant make the flexible size, that in WoD is Normal and Heroic scale from 10m to 40m, instead of 10m to 25m(30m?) as it is now. Other than that, I dont want it back. Mythic going 20m is a godsend, makes having stuff like magetank a thing, like on High King Maulgar and Kael'Thas.

  9. #209
    Since this topic needs some refreshing material, here's a thought:

    Remember how Spoils works? What if you had two 20 man raids that had to enter from two different sides and fight identical bosses that would retreat and swap out with each other and shared HP (like Omnitron, but with a wall inbetween with teams on either side) and the separator was around 100 yards so the effects were more-or-less ignored by the clients of the opposing side?


    Boss A and Boss B could have very different mechanics and both sides be a DPS check as they'd be single-tanked with a stacking debuff that only wears off on the swap. Four tanking it would risk pushing the enrage timer (new vengeance, not current) and perhaps additional mechanics like buttons on the wall that have to be DPS'd in the right order to force the swap but doing it too early or often could cause a problem because, oh I don't know, they regain 10% hp each time they swap.

    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.

  10. #210
    It will never come back thank god, 40-man would break computers especially with all the new models and graphics we have these days spell effects and having actual mechanics in raids. Plus 25-man is frustrating enough as it is when 4 of the people die to something so simple. Now 10 people will die everytime a single fire area goes on the ground? No thanks, if they ever did make 40-man a legit experience more power to them, if they ever made achievements, gear, or items specifically for 40-man I would quit.

  11. #211
    I would ignore it. I'll tell you what. See how it does when WildStar releases and then we can all post a little more intelligently about its feasibility in WoW. Honestly, if it had worked well they would have kept it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Since this topic needs some refreshing material, here's a thought:

    Remember how Spoils works? What if you had two 20 man raids that had to enter from two different sides and fight identical bosses that would retreat and swap out with each other and shared HP (like Omnitron, but with a wall inbetween with teams on either side) and the separator was around 100 yards so the effects were more-or-less ignored by the clients of the opposing side?
    This is pretty much what WildStar said they're going to do. My problem with that is that you essentially have two separate 20 man raids, and if the other fails (due to circumstances over which you have no control whatsoever) your raid fails too. Is that fun for you? It's not fun for me. It's frustrating in Spoils too, but at least that's only one of the four fights in that wing (or one out of sixteen fights in the raid, if you prefer to see it that way).
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

  12. #212
    40 Man raiding & The obliteration of add-ons are the two things that together would get me to come back to the game heh. Man do I miss vanilla wow days.

  13. #213
    Didnt they say something to the effect of 30man Flex (Normal) Raids in the expansion to offset the inconvenience to 25man raiding guilds ?

  14. #214
    I think it would be a fun novelty thing to have an optional 40-man side boss that dropped cosmetic stuff or something, but I wouldn't want to have any 40-man raiding as part of normal progression. It's just too chaotic, hard to organize, and laggy.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    well last i heard they were trying to make it so you only saw your spell effects and animations. to lessen the lag
    Oh god, this please. T15 had so much lightning flashing everywhere that it made the game very difficult to play.

  16. #216
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,677
    God I hope not. Getting 40 people together and on time was just a massive pain in the arse.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    God I hope not. Getting 40 people together and on time was just a massive pain in the arse.
    I'm not picking on Airwaves here, they were just the most recent quote... but, I doubt anybody saying getting 40 people together was a pain in the ass, actually did much 40 man raiding... truthfully the only restraint is new spell effects/graphics and a bad lag problem, otherwise... getting groups together and co-ordination was a TON easier... mind you when 40 man raiding was all we had, every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't THINK they could run their own guild... it would cause problems now, but back then there were bigger guilds and far LESS guilds than there are now because everyone knew it took 40 to raid... likewise there was class leads then which made co-ordination simpler as well as you could delegate duties without actually having to micro-manage the entire raid yourself as a GM.

    JTMC

    side note: we had a rule, you were there 15-minutes pre-raid or you didn't go... and there was ALWAYS someone waiting to fill your spot... honestly that's the biggest thing I miss about old school raids... I never had to wait 15-20 minutes past raid for someone to login late... super pet peeve of mine...

    Amazing Sig by Eis!

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by AestostheInsane View Post
    I'm not picking on Airwaves here, they were just the most recent quote... but, I doubt anybody saying getting 40 people together was a pain in the ass, actually did much 40 man raiding... truthfully the only restraint is new spell effects/graphics and a bad lag problem, otherwise... getting groups together and co-ordination was a TON easier... mind you when 40 man raiding was all we had, every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't THINK they could run their own guild... it would cause problems now, but back then there were bigger guilds and far LESS guilds than there are now because everyone knew it took 40 to raid... likewise there was class leads then which made co-ordination simpler as well as you could delegate duties without actually having to micro-manage the entire raid yourself as a GM.

    JTMC

    side note: we had a rule, you were there 15-minutes pre-raid or you didn't go... and there was ALWAYS someone waiting to fill your spot... honestly that's the biggest thing I miss about old school raids... I never had to wait 15-20 minutes past raid for someone to login late... super pet peeve of mine...
    Yeah, I remember guilds had HUNDREDS of players and there were always people wanting to raid. It was super epic-feeling. I remember being a benchwarmer for the first guild I was in and one night they were short a person and I was insanely happy just to get into the raid and earn some DKP. Back then guilds were pretty serious business and some of the funnest memories I have of this game were from logging on early to head out to Kargath and just dicking around with other guildmates while we waited for the rest of the raid to get online.

    Nostalgia aside, I don't think having 40-man raids again would work out well, but getting 40 people online was usually not a big issue back then. It might be now, since people are used to much smaller raid sizes, but like others have said, I think lag and graphic/spell effect limitations are bigger issues than finding enough people.

  19. #219
    most of we the diffuclty my guild had in vanilla was getting 40 people on and prepared. It would take a huge amount of time, even with preparation, to get ready and raiding. Count on 40 people not to be late, to come to the portal, to be ready, to coordinate and communicate. Trying to discern where things went wrong. the likelihood of deadly mistakes increasing when you had 40 people capable of doing them.

    When the fights and mechanics of a raid take a back seat in difficulty to trying to guide your raid, you know the system is bull.

    not to mention that in those days spamming the same ability or two or some classes who were only there to rebuff or white hit existed. Boss spells were simply compared to today (except naxx and to a point, AQ, which was the forefather and prototype (respectively) of future raid mechanics but still werent as complex as today)

    how do you set up a 40 man today with the complexity and coordination of todays boss abilities and class roles/cycles?
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2014-03-08 at 10:09 AM.

  20. #220
    From a player that started playing in ICC times, why would it lag more now than it dit in vanilla? I mean computer hardware is alot better now than then. Just curious!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •