Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't think it'd work out as well in the present day as it did in the past. It's difficult enough getting a 10 or 25 man raid together on some servers, let alone anything bigger.

Hope not!!!!! 40man sucked, less people = more skill ( my opinion )

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks. Even in our cutting edge guild there was a lot of dead weight in the 40 mans. When the transition to 25 happened it was possible to cut all of that and have a full raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore it. I did 72 man in EQ and 40 in vanilia. More people ≠ more fun to me, tends to downplay skill. IMO, if they made flex truly scale to 40, cool, would never do it but cool.

There's a reason they moved away from 40 to 25/10/flex.

10+ Year Old Account
    40 man would probably end up quite badly with the current addons. Considering that instead of 25 people communicating with one another (that's 24! possible information transfers per event), you'll get 40 (that's 39! possible information transfers per event). In this case, we are not talking about doubling the lag, we are talking about it being exponentially worse. It wouldn't be just an increase of the capacity of a raid, it would mean changing the underlying structure to allow for that, which, considering that almost nobody would use the option anyway, would likely end up in Blizzard just throwing away money.
    Not to meniont that the hassle of putting a 40man together and going was bad enough in Vanilla. Getting back to it now would mean that either nobody (with very few exceptions) would use the setting anyway, or, if forced, would be a solid downturn for raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    NO. It was shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    30 man Flex is as close to 40 man raiding as you'll get and i'm excited for this.

As somebody who did raid 40 mans back in the day, I will always have to say "FUCK NO!" 25 man is good enough.

I'd ignore them completely, 40 man raids weren't fun at all. I don't even particularly like 25 man raiding.

Raiding is fun to do with friends, and fun to screw around with guildmates. You can't do that with 40 people, there's too many people trying to talk. It's like being at a party and trying to have a conversation with everybody at once. Not to mention there's no need for it. It's already hard on most servers to get 25 people together, trying to get 40 would be laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it doesn't come back. I have a strong feeling it won't.

40 mans were designed around the fact that there'll be a lot of slackers (and there were, even in hardcore guilds). Now, why do you want to carry people on purpose?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    [Nostalgia] I wonder if 40 Man raiding will ever return in its glory to an epic scale. It would certainly make 10, 15, 20, and 25 man raids look laughable. So, question of the day: If 40 man raiding returned, would you go for it, ignore it, or quit? [/Nostalgia]
    We can have that same 40 man raiding feel NOW.

We have the 25 fighting the boss, and pretend there are 15 standing by the entrance filling up guild and raid chat.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    40 mans were designed around the fact that there'll be a lot of slackers (and there were, even in hardcore guilds). Now, why do you want to carry people on purpose?
    To be fair, I sometimes wonder if the fact that raids weren't as tightly tuned back then was part of the reason they are remembered so fondly. There was more opportunity to simply relax and enjoy the raid.

EJL

40man raiding is way too much of a clusterfuck for my taste.

all they would have to do is REWORK The Shitty wow engine and make it GPU instead of CPU intensive then it would work just fine...but theres hardly anybody left in the game to handle 40 idiots at one time

The only thing I miss about 40 man raids is the affect it had on guilds.

Remember when servers only had a couple dozen big guilds? You could look at a person's guild and tell what type of player they were. Some guilds were raid progression, some were friends/family guilds, some were leveling guilds, some were PvP guilds, etc. If you were looking for a guild, you knew where to look. Also, if someone behaved badly, you could talk to their guild leader about it and resolve things that way. Now each server has 2K+ guilds that no one has ever heard of. I bet most people couldn't name 10 guild leaders on their server anymore.

To field a 40 man raid regularly without crazy attendance requirements, you typically needed about 120 active accounts. A lot of these big guilds had their own websites and communities. Most guilds are so small now that outside of raid night, you are lucky to even see another member of your guild online.

Obvious to me that you NEVER raided 40 man and have no idea what you talk about.

"It would certainly make 10, 15, 20, and 25 man raids look laughable"

40 man raids were tuned for about 20 man. We took Kel thuzad server first with 4 players afk. (original 40 man naxx)

MC was a pissfest of simple tank and spank dmg fest. Easily doable with 25-30 players.

So no. 40 mans will NOT make 10-25 man look laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    To be fair, I sometimes wonder if the fact that raids weren't as tightly tuned back then was part of the reason they are remembered so fondly. There was more opportunity to simply relax and enjoy the raid.
    I'm sure raidleaders didn't find it fun having to constantly remind a large chunk of the raid to contribute something... anything. As I said they were designed around slackers and nowdays if there was 40 man raids and if you somehow managed to bring anything close to 40 competent people then the content would be just too easy.

Deleted
    Modern boss mechanics - not like the tank ans spank fest that was vanilla - wouldnt be able to support 40 man raids while still being interesting and fun.

The only good thing about huge raid sizes is what the OP says, the large scale epic feel. But it is virtually impossible to design good boss fights that could involve all 40 people.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The other 1958578239 guilds had.
    No they did not .....

Long live Garona Halforcen ! Cheers to Odexy for the Sig !