[Mage] Blacksmithing vs Tailoring.

Just curious about these two professions to see the pros and cons or figure out which one is really BiS for mage dps (and ofc its Tailoring and Engineering or Blacksmithing and Engineering)

Any thoughts?

BS/Eng would be expensive as hell to accomplish (attempting it on an alt). tailoring and enchanting are the better bet, because of the cloak embroidering and enchanting for, well, chants that don't require another person AND you get the benefit of two extra enchants (rings).

Deleted
    i had bs + jc on my mage, but with limited gem slots on wod gear i figured it wouldnt be so great for $$$$ next exp so took the hit and rerolled engineering/tailoring

Quote Originally Posted by RaenavenBlacksun View Post
    BS/Eng would be expensive as hell to accomplish (attempting it on an alt). tailoring and enchanting are the better bet, because of the cloak embroidering and enchanting for, well, chants that don't require another person AND you get the benefit of two extra enchants (rings).
    That may be true but he's asking about BiS which is tailor/eng, though with the possible rebalancing of professions and removal of snapshotting, this could easily change

Well unless they change how combustion works, if it still uses the current damage from ignite then engineering and tailoring will still probably be the best for fire.

Deleted
    What about arcane and frost? Do you reckon tailoring is still superior to blacksmithing considering the AT opener is (presumably) less of a big deal then it is for fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathos View Post
    What about arcane and frost? Do you reckon tailoring is still superior to blacksmithing considering the AT opener is (presumably) less of a big deal then it is for fire?
    Currently, yes. The AT opener is just as important for Arc and Frost as it is for fire, bad procs can be the difference between bursting for 700k and 1.2 mil. Blacksmithing will be arguably more consistent on your opener than tailoring, but it's like asking if you would rather have slightly better gloves or a third low ilvl trinket.

And I agree with you henz, due to how fire works and likely will continue to work with ignite snapshots, it will be hard to ever outdo the tailor/engi combo

Deleted
    The whole point of tailoring/engineering is stacking and capturing those with other procs and FoF/BS or HU+HS etc and using alter time for supreme burst. Blacksmithing is only going to offer 640 haste/mastery/crit or 320 int if you waste those slots on your AT, where as a stacked Tailoring proc + engineering tinker is going to offer like 3k (? i forget exact figures) int over an additional 6 secs, that was reasons i took for dropping bs/jc anyway

So in everyone's opinion for next expansion should replacing BS with Tailoring be worth?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostjack View Post
    So in everyone's opinion for next expansion should replacing BS with Tailoring be worth?
    Its hard to say until we see some info about professions and racials, keep in mind racials are been looked at aswell. For the moment if you want bis profs THIS expansion, take tailoring/eng, just beware they may get changed next exp, we may even loose Alter Time, which would really change everything

10+ Year Old Account
    While I applaud your personal efforts, I've never been a fan of 100% min-maxing including professions. Yes, Tailoring might give you a greater bonus and some more dps, but it will neither make you OP nor hinder you. If someone, like your GM or CL is asking you to do it and you don't want to, then I would argue that it's not so relevant. If you want to do it for your own personal satisfaction, then of course go for it. I like my professions like I chose them (herbalism and inscription) and there's no GM in the universe that would make me change them. Be sure to do what makes you happy.

Finally, what Mistique said, wait until we know what to expect for the next expansion before you change. Leveling a profession takes a few hours if you need to rush. I'm sure you can agree that a few hours or even a few days is much compared to the facepalm you'll do if you choose wrong
    My magic will tear you apart.

For MoP: I would consider tailoring=BS at this point. Although a 4k int proc doesnt make a huge difference considering we have 15k-30k int procs, tailoring is as good as ever because every other tailoring lines up with PBoI. If it werent for this, I would have dropped tailoring for BS by now. partly because BS would bump me over 20k crit :O