View Poll Results: What is the probability that the Tinker can be the next class ( IYO)

Voters
1260. This poll is closed
  • 0%

660 52.38%
  • 0-10%

189 15.00%
  • 10-20%

58 4.60%
  • 20-30%

51 4.05%
  • 30-40%

30 2.38%
  • 40-50%

58 4.60%
  • 50-60%

48 3.81%
  • 60-70%

34 2.70%
  • 70-80%

38 3.02%
  • 80-90%

25 1.98%
  • 90-100%

69 5.48%
Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    All that does in this case though is change the "Int" to "spirit" since spirit is supposed to be static.
    Int isn't converted to spirit, and spirit is not supposed to be static.

Int/str/agi are the main stat. Which one of them shows up depends on your spec. If I'm an enhancement shaman, my gear will show agi as a stat. If I now respec to resto, the agi will morph into int.

Spirit is a stat that you will not find on your regular armor. It'll be exclusive to a few select slots such as rings, neck, trinkets and such.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Nope. Armor is losing stats like that in WoD. If your class is INT-based, your armor will be INT-based.

So if we roll up on plate armor, it will just be plate armor. Not INT, STR, or otherwise.
    All that does is guarantee the next class is mail, as the Int Plate argument is dead.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
    In World of Warcraft Alpha engineers were a class and not a profession. They were too much fun to play so Blizzard took it and made it a profession. As it stands in the game engineers have bombs that; scare beasts, silence and burn mana, root targets in ice, stun or disorient a target. Engineers also have rocket launchers, shrink rays, suicide bomber sheep, turrets that shoot fireballs, spell reflectors, spell absorbers, a cloaking device, a few devices that turn people into chickens, a net launcher, rocket boots (yay sprint), a mortar, land mines, short duration pets, a stealth detector, target dummies to taunt mobs off of them, a flamethrower, a laser, and a host of other things (I only listed roughly half the goodies :P). It was supposed to be a class but they have been slowly giving the stuff to engineers. As much as I'd like to see a tinker class I feel they have given too much of it to engineers.
    You haven't even come close to listing half of it. The problem is that almost all of that stuff has been made obsolete by ilvl creep. None of it scales. Professions have what amounts to a hard reset between expansions - nothing good at one level cap remains good at the next, and engineering is hit even harder than the others because unlike blacksmithing, or tailoring or any of the other crafting professions, engineers do not get patterns each tier which create gear or new abilities. They get toys, like pets and mounts. Nothing against pets and mounts, but you can't make a playstyle out of pets or mounts. You can't make your character better with a pet or a mount.

We're running around now with the same rockets we were running around with when we started doing tier 14, and those rockets hit for crap even when they were sort-of relevant. The only point to using these abilities is to RP. I'm tired of RPing. I want to start doing. And no profession has ever or will ever provide that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Stop using such arguments because they're false. Enchanters is NOT like a mage. A mage does not enchant armor. A mage does not enchant weapons. A mage does not enchant ANYTHING.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=7302
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=6117/mage-armor
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=30482

These aren't examples of Mages enchanting armor?

They use their mana to create devastating spells of fire magic, frost magic or pure arcane magic. An enchanter does not, and cannot, do any of those things. They use the pre-existing magic inside special magical reagents to create enchantments on their own, or other people's gear. Their single and ONLY "connection" is a similarity between their names.
    Well of course. One is a class, and the other is a profession.

Now Tinkers and Engineers go beyond simple 'similarity' between their names. They're the exact same thing. Both create bombs. Both create grenades. Both create technological gadgets. There is no difference at all between them.
    A Tinker class could tank a raid. A Tinker class could perform competitive DPS in a raid. A Tinker class could heal a raid. A Tinker's bomb abilities could actually kill an equal level mob. A Tinker class would have Glyphs and Talents. A Tinker class wouldn't be able to sell its "abilities" to other people. A Tinker would (more than likely) have the Tinker hero's WC3 abilities, A Tinker couldn't construct items to sell in the auction house. A player who rolls a Tinker class couldn't get tired of it and go to a different trainer and swap to a different class, etc.

In short, there is a lot of difference between them, because there's a lot of difference between a class and a profession.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    All that does is guarantee the next class is mail, as the Int Plate argument is dead.
    Certainly. The question now is, what will that mail armor class be?

I'm willing to guess it will be unique from existing classes, have a broad archetype to develop three specs from, and have connections from WC3 and WoW.

IMO, only the Tinker remains to fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Int isn't converted to spirit, and spirit is not supposed to be static.

Int/str/agi are the main stat. Which one of them shows up depends on your spec. If I'm an enhancement shaman, my gear will show agi as a stat. If I now respec to resto, the agi will morph into int.

Spirit is a stat that you will not find on your regular armor. It'll be exclusive to a few select slots such as rings, neck, trinkets and such.
    I see, I thought spirit was going to stay on armor and just be a non flexible stat. thanks for the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect example of a fail argument that falls flat on its face before even taking its first step. How? Because, if the mage reeeeeally enchanted his armor, as Teriz claims, why does removing every piece of armor from your character does not make your buff go away from your buff list, yet a shaman's weapon enchantment DOES disappear from your buff list when you remove the weapon? The 'armor' spells are simply a barrier the mage creates around themselves.

Well of course. One is a class, and the other is a profession.
    Which means nothing. First you claim both are teh same, then you claim they're not because one is a class, the other a profession?

A Tinker class could tank a raid. A Tinker class could perform competitive DPS in a raid. A Tinker class could heal a raid. A Tinker's bomb abilities could actually kill an equal level mob. A Tinker class would have Glyphs and Talents. A Tinker class wouldn't be able to sell its "abilities" to other people. A Tinker would (more than likely) have the Tinker hero's WC3 abilities, A Tinker couldn't construct items to sell in the auction house. A player who rolls a Tinker class couldn't get tired of it and go to a different trainer and swap to a different class, etc.

In short, there is a lot of difference between them, because there's a lot of difference between a class and a profession.
    First: how can a tinker heal a raid? I can't think of anything that can heal a raid without using bandages or healing magic.
    Second: just because one is a class and one is a profession means nothing. The niche has already been taken by the engineering profession.

There is no difference at all. An apple is an apple, no matter if it's red or green.
    Certainly. The question now is, what will that mail armor class be?

I'm willing to guess it will be unique from existing classes, have a broad archetype to develop three specs from, and have connections from WC3 and WoW.

IMO, only the Tinker remains to fit that bill.
    Of course it'll be unique from existing classes. But the 'broad archetype to develop three specs from' is nothing but baseless conjecture, as Blizzard can simply deliver a pure DPS class.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2014-02-17 at 09:28 PM.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect example of a fail argument that falls flat on its face before even taking its first step. How? Because, if the mage reeeeeally enchanted his armor, as Teriz claims, why does removing every piece of armor from your character does not make your buff go away from your buff list, yet a shaman's weapon enchantment DOES disappear from your buff list when you remove the weapon? The 'armor' spells are simply a barrier the mage creates around themselves.
    Its hardly a fail argument. Enchanters are still using magic, just like Mages (and Shaman) are. You're simply arguing silly details.

Which means nothing. First you claim both are teh same, then you claim they're not because one is a class, the other a profession?
    I never claimed both were the same. I said that Enchanters is to Mages as Engineers are to Tinkers. I.E. One uses magic to craft items to sell, the other uses Magic to be a hero.

First: how can a tinker heal a raid? I can't think of anything that can heal a raid without using bandages or healing magic.
    Medicine and medical devices are part of the technology theme.

Second: just because one is a class and one is a profession means nothing. The niche has already been taken by the engineering profession.
    Except a profession can't fill a class niche. A Profession is designed for crafting stuff, a class is designed to perform a role within the trinity of DPS, HPS, and Tanking. If you disagree, please link us to the class that can craft stuff to sell. Please link us to the Profession that is capable of taking a raid or instance spot.

There is no difference at all. An apple is an apple, no matter if it's red or green.
    Now who is using a fail argument? You dismissed every difference I mentioned because it contradicted your nonsensical position.

Of course it'll be unique from existing classes. But the 'broad archetype to develop three specs from' is nothing but baseless conjecture, as Blizzard can simply deliver a pure DPS class.
    Even if a class has 3 DPS specs, those three specs still have to be distinct and different from each other.

And 'only the tinker remains to fit that bill' is nothing but your wishful thinking because Tinker is your love child. You know it.
    I'm pretty sure I said "IMO" in the very sentence you quoted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its hardly a fail argument. Enchanters are still using magic, just like Mages (and Shaman) are. You're simply arguing silly details.
    It is fail. Enchanters use the magic from reagents to enchants weapons and armor. Mages use their own mana to weave their spells. No similaries at all between the two.

I never claimed both were the same. I said that Enchanters is to Mages as Engineers are to Tinkers.
    Wrongful comparison. Your Engineer/Tinker comparison is like saying the Moon and the Sun are the same because they both glow in the sky.

Medicine and medical devices are part of the technology theme
    "Medical Devices" that need alchemy items to properly work, isn't it?

Except a profession can't fill a class niche. A Profession is designed for crafting stuff, a class is designed to perform a role within the trinity of DPS, HPS, and Tanking. If you disagree, please link us to the class that can craft stuff to sell. Please link us to the Profession that is capable of taking a raid or instance spot.
    Probably not fill a 'class niche', but the niche itself has been filled already by the engineering profession. There is no denying it.

Now who is using a fail argument? You dismissed every difference I mentioned because it contradicted your nonsensical position.
    No, I dismissed them because they either make no sense, or are false.

I'm pretty sure I said "IMO" in the very sentence you quoted.
    You did. Which is why I removed that line from my post.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account
    It is fail. Enchanters use the magic from reagents to enchants weapons and armor. Mages use their own mana to weave their spells. No similaries at all between the two.
    Except the fact that both are using magic as a theme.

Wrongful comparison. Your Engineer/Tinker comparison is like saying the Moon and the Sun are the same because they both glow in the sky.
    Actually that would be your comparison.

"Medical Devices" that need alchemy items to properly work, isn't it?
    Not necessarily. The technology archetype allows everything from energy to fuel to alchemy to heal.

Probably not fill a 'class niche', but the niche itself has been filled already by the engineering profession. There is no denying it.
    Actually there is, since the Engineering profession can't fill the class niche, nor represent the technology we encounter in the gameworld. A profession's sole purpose is to craft salable items. If there were no technological bosses or NPCs in WoW showcasing a far more advanced level of technology, your argument would have a more sound basis. However, there is clearly a level of technology in the game that the Engineering profession cannot imitate, nor reflect. Because of that, it leaves a lot of design space open for a class to fill.

No, I dismissed them because they either make no sense, or are false.
    Here's the argument again, numbered to make it easier to read;

A Tinker class could tank a raid.
    1.A Tinker class could perform competitive DPS in a raid.
    2.A Tinker class could heal a raid.
    3.A Tinker's offensive abilities could actually kill an equal level mob.
    4.A Tinker class would have Glyphs and Talents.
    5.A Tinker class wouldn't be able to sell its "abilities" to other people.
    6.A Tinker would (more than likely) have the Tinker hero's WC3 abilities.
    7.A Tinker couldn't construct items to sell in the auction house.
    8.A player who rolls a Tinker class couldn't get tired of it and go to a different trainer and swap to a different class, etc.
    Which argument makes no sense or is false?

Deleted
    No10chars.

The distinction is in gameplay mechanics, and aside from that has a few problems. First, enchanters make their own materials. Second, mages have a number of spells that have had a reagent cost in the past, in particular all teleportation and portal spells, Ritual of Refreshment and Arcane Brilliance. These costs were removed because it was annoying to have to take up inventory slots with stacks of reagents, not because the costs were counter to the lore.

Among those reagents? Arcane Powder. Very dust-like stuff, powder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the fact that both are using magic as a theme.
    That is their only similarity. By the same logic, mages, warlocks, priests, shamans, monks, druids, paladins and death knights are all the same because they use magic.

Actually there is, since the Engineering profession can't fill the class niche, nor represent the technology we encounter in the gameworld. A profession's sole purpose is to craft salable items. If there were no technological bosses or NPCs in WoW showcasing a far more advanced level of technology, your argument would have a more sound basis. However, there is clearly a level of technology in the game that the Engineering profession cannot imitate, nor reflect. Because of that, it leaves a lot of design space open for a class to fill.
    'Class niche' is irrelevant if the whole niche itself, which is a tech-creating character, already exists.

Here's the argument again, numbered to make it easier to read;

Which argument makes no sense or is false?
    Of the one you listed:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are nothing exclusive to the Tinker class. All classes have the same 'limitations' you listed. You're trying to grasp at straws in an attempt to prove the engineering niche isn't taken, which it is, by the way. We already have the 'Engineering' profession. The niche is taken already, regardless if it is a class or profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    0%, Because of the Engineering profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is their only similarity.
    And Drilnos' post showed even more similarities.

By the same logic, mages, warlocks, priests, shamans, monks, druids, paladins and death knights are all the same because they use magic.
    No, those would be different because they use a different type of magic.

Also, I didn't say they were the same. I said that you can apply the same logic for Enchanting/Mage to Engineering/Tinker. One crafts items, the other performs a class role.

'Class niche' is irrelevant if the whole niche itself, which is a tech-creating character, already exists.
    That isn't the niche. The niche is a hero that uses technology to protect its allies and defeat its enemies. The niche the profession fills is crafting technology-based items.

Your argument is like saying Blacksmithing fills the Warrior niche, or Enchanting fills the Mage niche. Its a pretty stupid argument.

Of the one you listed:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are nothing exclusive to the Tinker class. All classes have the same 'limitations' you listed. You're trying to grasp at straws in an attempt to prove the engineering niche isn't taken, which it is, by the way. We already have the 'Engineering' profession. The niche is taken already, regardless if it is a class or profession.
    Except that wasn't the reason why I made that list. I made that list to show the difference between a profession and a class. In other words, with all of those differences, there's no way a class and a profession can be the same thing.

You completely missed the point. And you more than likely did it on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, those would be different because they use a different type of magic.
    Says who? Where does it say that enchanters use fire, frost or arcane magic? Also they don't wield magic, the use magic reagents. Completely different things.

That isn't the niche. The niche is a hero that uses technology to protect its allies and defeat its enemies. The niche the profession fills is crafting technology-based items.
    Which would be fine enough if the whole technology niche wasn't taken already by the engineering profession. The engineering profession has been upgraded and changed so many times since its implementation that nothing was left to make a tech class.

Your argument is like saying Blacksmithing fills the Warrior niche, or Enchanting fills the Mage niche. Its a pretty stupid argument.
    No, THAT is the stupid argument. Just because you make swords, doesn't mean you know how to wield one. But an engineering knows how to wield their creations because they were the ones that crafted them, and know what 'kinks' and 'quirks' their gadgets have.

Except that wasn't the reason why I made that list. I made that list to show the difference between a profession and a class. In other words, with all of those differences, there's no way a class and a profession can be the same thing.

You completely missed the point. And you more than likely did it on purpose.
    Which, again, is irrelevant. The 'class niche' cannot be filled because the whole 'technology niche' itself has already been taken wholly by the Engineering profession.

And just to note: I'd be all for the Tinker class to be made into WoW if we did not already have the Engineering profession in the game.

Deleted
    40-50%.

1. Too race exclusive(goblin, gnome, dwarf, human, forsaken and maybe worgen, belf)
    2. I just don't feel like technology-based class is something that fits WoW.

but on the other hand I don't see many other possibilities... Well, we got Demon Hunter, Ranger, Timewalker which are more WoW climatic but they are similar to already existing classes like Warlock, Hunter and Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Says who? Where does it say that enchanters use fire, frost or arcane magic? Also they don't wield magic, the use magic reagents. Completely different things.
    Um, Enchanting IS magic. An Enchanter is using magical abilities. Are they the same as Mages? No, and that's my point. A profession is not the same as a class. The same difference applies to Engineering and Tinkers.

Which would be fine enough if the whole technology niche wasn't taken already by the engineering profession. The engineering profession has been upgraded and changed so many times since its implementation that nothing was left to make a tech class.
    You can't tank, DPS, or heal using Engineering items. Abilities from tech-based bosses and NPCs can't be carried over to the Engineering profession. A crafting profession does nothing that a class does. So no, the entire niche isn't taken up by Engineering.

No, THAT is the stupid argument. Just because you make swords, doesn't mean you know how to wield one. But an engineering knows how to wield their creations because they were the ones that crafted them, and know what 'kinks' and 'quirks' their gadgets have.
    That's a pretty major assumption, and its easy to counter. For example, if you're a Paladin Engineer and you make a gun, you can't use the gun. If you're a Rogue Blacksmith and you make a sword, you know how to wield it.

However, your argument is even dumber than that. You're arguing that the Paladin, with his crafted gun that he can't use, rickety Sky Golem, and toy explosives that can't kill anything, is the same thing as something like Helix Blackfuse, the third to last boss in Siege of Ogrimmar, whom uses lasers, mech suits, robotic minions, healing rays, and gravitational weapons that can wipe out entire armies.

It's absurd.

Which, again, is irrelevant. The 'class niche' cannot be filled because the whole 'technology niche' itself has already been taken wholly by the Engineering profession.
    Actually its very relevant. If a profession can't do what a class does, then it can't fill its niche. Its like saying Pet Battles made Hunters obsolete.

Do you even know what "niche" means?

Deleted

And just to note: I'd be all for the Tinker class to be made into WoW if we did not already have the Engineering profession in the game.
    enchanting and even alchemy are part of magic. You got alchemist in The Six.
    Do you rly think that all that mages do is use magic for "creating devastating spells" DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
    srsly? and that mages doesn't use reagents for their spells? More powerful spells requires reagents as well.

and mages aren't guys who spent 90% of their life fighting. Most of them doesn't use 5% of their life fighting. Most of time they just stay in home and create portals, enchant items and create magic items, elixirs. Lorewise Warriors are those who fight and mages fight only when they have to or are hired.

don't take gameplay so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    enchanting and even alchemy are part of magic. You got alchemist in The Six.
    Do you rly think that all that mages do is use magic for "creating devastating spells" DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
    srsly? and that mages doesn't use reagents for their spells? More powerful spells requires reagents as well.

and mages aren't guys who spent 90% of their life fighting. Most of them doesn't use 5% of their life fighting. Most of time they just stay in home and create portals, enchant items and create magic items, elixirs. Lorewise Warriors are those who fight and mages fight only when they have to or are hired.

don't take gameplay so serious.
    Now I wish mages could do more wizardy stuff other than blow things up and a handful of tricks. Creating buildings out of nothing, animating statues, having familiars, disintigration; you know, rad D&D shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, Enchanting IS magic. An Enchanter is using magical abilities. Are they the same as Mages? No, and that's my point. A profession is not the same as a class. The same difference applies to Engineering and Tinkers.
    The magic is in the reagents, not the enchanter. Enchanting is nothing like a mage, or warlock, or priest, or shaman. But a Tinker is everything engineering.

You can't tank, DPS, or heal using Engineering items. Abilities from tech-based bosses and NPCs can't be carried over to the Engineering profession. A crafting profession does nothing that a class does. So no, the entire niche isn't taken up by Engineering.
    You mean you can't use the 'tinkering' to your belt to launch grenades, or attaching a rocket launcher to your gloves cannot be used for DPS? The guns created by engineers cannot be used by hunters to do DPS? Oh, my.

In a more serious note, you're holding onto the notion that 'class niche' matters above all else. Which it doesn't. If we didn't have the engineering profession I'd agree with you. But we do, and therefore the whole of the tech theme has already been taken. It matters none if the engineering profession can or cannot tank/dps/heal/dance macarena/fart/etc.

That's a pretty major assumption, and its easy to counter. For example, if you're a Paladin Engineer and you make a gun, you can't use the gun. If you're a Rogue Blacksmith and you make a sword, you know how to wield it.
    That is a fail example since the only reason a paladin cannot wield a gun in-game is purely game design choice. Nothing stops a paladin from grabbing a gun and shooting it aside from that single game mechanic.

However, your argument is even dumber than that. You're arguing that the Paladin, with his crafted gun that he can't use, rickety Sky Golem, and toy explosives that can't kill anything, is the same thing as something like Helix Blackfuse, the third to last boss in Siege of Ogrimmar, whom uses lasers, mech suits, robotic minions, healing rays, and gravitational weapons that can wipe out entire armies.
    In a nutshell? Yes. In more detail? Yes, because the Paladin has been adventuring his whole life. Blackfuse, your example, did not. He spent his whole life in a laboratory doing nothing but engineering.

Actually its very relevant. If a profession can't do what a class does, then it can't fill its niche. Its like saying Pet Battles made Hunters obsolete.
    A profession can't do what a class can because it's a profession, not a class. But the whole tech niche has already been taken, by the engineering. Because of that, the 'tech class' niche cannot be filled, since there is no way to make a Tinker class and not say 'It is engineering'.

And oh. My. God. I won't even bother answering your hunter comparison. Too stupid.

Do you even know what "niche" means?
    I do. But do you? Your constant denials make me wonder if you do.