View Poll Results: What is the probability that the Tinker can be the next class ( IYO)

Voters
1260. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0%

    660 52.38%
  • 0-10%

    189 15.00%
  • 10-20%

    58 4.60%
  • 20-30%

    51 4.05%
  • 30-40%

    30 2.38%
  • 40-50%

    58 4.60%
  • 50-60%

    48 3.81%
  • 60-70%

    34 2.70%
  • 70-80%

    38 3.02%
  • 80-90%

    25 1.98%
  • 90-100%

    69 5.48%
  1. #2161
    Wouldn't that ruin the engineering proffession?

  2. #2162
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    As much as 'nurse' is a synonym with 'surgeon'. [sarcasm off]
    Does that also apply to Tinkers and Engineers?

    Again, the thesaurus is your friend.

    And, until then, your argument is baseless, therefore invalid.
    The base of my argument is that WoW classes come from WC3 heroes and units. This has been proven true multiple times.

    The Contradiction? The contradiction is you saying, in this very thread, that those don't exist in WoW.
    Link.

    Oh, they do. Except you don't give them options. You want that freaking huge mecha-backpack that can become a piloted golem. The backpack in that fanart? Can't do that.
    As long as its a hammer tank strapped on its back, and has the majority if abilities from WC3, HotS, and WoW, things will be just fine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daskelicious View Post
    Wouldn't that ruin the engineering proffession?
    A Tinker raiding in a group has no effect on an Engineer creating a pair of googles.

  3. #2163
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Does that also apply to your Tinker=Engineering statements?
    Pretty pathetic evasion there. I'd still like to hear some synonyms that get you out of the corner you painted for yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The base of my argument is that WoW classes come from WC3 heroes and units. This has been proven true multiple times.
    That does not automatically mean all WC3 units would be converted into WoW classes. On the contrary most will not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Does that also apply to Tinkers and Engineers?

    Again, the thesaurus is your friend.
    Current meaning of tinkerer is a hobbyist/amateur engineer, especially an amateur repairer/modder of things.

    Pick up any dictionary and be amazed to have that confirmed and having learned something new today.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-03-18 at 10:37 PM.

  4. #2164
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Does that also apply to Tinkers and Engineers?
    Again, the thesaurus is your friend.
    Nope, not in WoW. Technology is technology. If you deal with technology, you are an engineer, no matter what title you give to yourself: tinker, siegecrafter, technician, etc.

    The base of my argument is that WoW classes come from WC3 heroes and units. This has been proven true multiple times.
    An argument that you elaborate many times saying the classes are 'faithful' copies from WC3 unit, an argument that has been proven wrong many times, citing mages, shamans, death knights and monks. An argument that was countered many times by statements saying that if the 'tinker' class is made into the game, it'll be heavily altered, just like all the aforementioned classes would, and whymsical elements will be removed.

    As long as its a hammer tank strapped on its back, and has the majority if abilities from WC3, HotS, and WoW, things will be just fine.
    Which you know it won't. Too whymsical to be taken seriously.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  5. #2165
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Pretty pathetic evasion there. I'd still like to hear some synonyms that get you out of the corner you painted for yourself.
    There is no evasion. The point is that profession and class thematic overlap means nothing.

    That does not automatically mean all WC3 units would be converted into WoW classes. On the contrary most will not.
    Actually almost all have. The ones who haven't have becomes aspects of existing WoW classes. The only ones who haven't participated in this process are the Goblin Tinker and the Goblin Alchemist. The last WC3 hero unit who was in a similar position: The Brewmaster.

    Current meaning of tinkerer is a hobbyist/amateur engineer, especially an amateur repairer/modder of things.

    Pick up any dictionary and be amazed to have that confirmed and having learned something new today.
    1. A traveling mender of metal household utensils.
    2. Chiefly British A member of any of various traditionally itinerant groups of people living especially in Scotland and Ireland; a traveler.
    3. One who enjoys experimenting with and repairing machine parts.
    4. A clumsy repairer or worker; a meddler.
    v. tin·kered, tin·ker·ing, tin·kers
    v.intr.
    1. To work as a tinker.
    2. To make unskilled or experimental efforts at repair; fiddle: tinkered with the engine, hoping to discover the trouble; tinkering with the economy by trying various fiscal policies.
    v.tr.
    1. To mend as a tinker.
    2. To manipulate unskillfully or experimentally.

    I do believe that Tony Stark in Iron Man 3 referred to himself as a "tinker". The Tinker can be anything from an inventor to a person who fiddles with machines. The moniker fits IMO.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Nope, not in WoW. Technology is technology. If you deal with technology, you are an engineer, no matter what title you give to yourself: tinker, siegecrafter, technician, etc.
    Engineer in that sense is no different than calling anyone who swings a weapon as a warrior. However its pretty clear that even though the Paladin is a "holy warrior", its not the same as the Warrior class.

    An argument that you elaborate many times saying the classes are 'faithful' copies from WC3 unit, an argument that has been proven wrong many times, citing mages, shamans, death knights and monks. An argument that was countered many times by statements saying that if the 'tinker' class is made into the game, it'll be heavily altered, just like all the aforementioned classes would, and whymsical elements will be removed.
    You mean like the whimsical element of throwing barrels of beer at people from the Brewmaster hero?

    Which you know it won't. Too whymsical to be taken seriously.
    If its serious enough for WC3, its serious enough for WoW.

  6. #2166
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Engineer in that sense is no different than calling anyone who swings a weapon as a warrior. However its pretty clear that even though the Paladin is a "holy warrior", its not the same as the Warrior class.
    Hah. Nice wordplay. In your context even a mage and a priest can be called 'warriors', because they fight in wars. But no. You want to deal with tech in WoW? You study engineering and become an engineer.

    You mean like the whimsical element of throwing barrels of beer at people from the Brewmaster hero?
    Nowhere near as whymsical as your humongous, screen-cluttering, does-all-fixes-all mecha-backpack.

    If its serious enough for WC3, its serious enough for WoW.
    Nope. Because in WC3 it was added simply for laughs, for an April Fools joke, not part of canon. Remember: in WC3 two goblins are a single unit. You don't see that in WoW, do you?

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  7. #2167
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Hah. Nice wordplay. In your context even a mage and a priest can be called 'warriors', because they fight in wars. But no. You want to deal with tech in WoW? You study engineering and become an engineer.
    Its not wordplay at all.

    war·ri·or [wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
    Blizzard calls the Enhancement Shaman a totemic "warrior". Does that mean that Warriors and Shaman are the same? Is Shaman simply a "title" for a Warrior?

    Nowhere near as whymsical as your humongous, screen-cluttering, does-all-fixes-all mecha-backpack.
    Which is simply your opinion.

    Nope. Because in WC3 it was added simply for laughs, for an April Fools joke, not part of canon.
    So were Pandaren.

    What was the name of that race added in MoP again?

  8. #2168
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Its not wordplay at all.
    You just proved my point.

    Which is simply your opinion.
    It's not opinion. It's a fact. Giant mecha-backpack that can throw rockets, shoot lasers and sawblades, drop robo-goblin factories and even transform into a golem with the wearer inside piloting it is way more whymsical than a guy throwing beer on their adversaries to make them drowsier and set them on fire.

    So were Pandaren.
    What was the name of that race added in MoP again?
    Which were made into canon before vanilla WoW was even live, unlike the tinker which remains out of continuity, out of canon.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  9. #2169
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You just proved my point.
    So is an Enhancement Shaman a Shaman, or is it a Warrior?

    It's not opinion. It's a fact. Giant mecha-backpack that can throw rockets, shoot lasers and sawblades, drop robo-goblin factories and even transform into a golem with the wearer inside piloting it is way more whymsical than a guy throwing beer on their adversaries to make them drowsier and set them on fire.
    Nope, that's just your opinion. Plenty of people would say the exact opposite.

    Which were made into canon before vanilla WoW was even live, unlike the tinker which remains out of continuity, out of canon.
    Yet they're mentioned throughout WoW, which indicates that they are cannon.

    Your denial of basic facts that have been proven to you over and over again is truly astonishing.

  10. #2170
    What I'm getting from this thread is that if we ever get Gnome Paladins, they'll wield the Light by turning into a laser cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  11. #2171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What I'm getting from this thread is that if we ever get Gnome Paladins, they'll wield the Light by turning into a laser cannon.
    Yes

    Well.... maybe yes. Ideally.
    blah, new sig... something something

  12. #2172
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Nope, that's just your opinion. Plenty of people would say the exact opposite.
    So far I have seen no one agree with you on that one.

    Yet they're mentioned throughout WoW, which indicates that they are cannon.
    Your denial of basic facts that have been proven to you over and over again is truly astonishing.
    A title doesn't mean 'the class is mentioned'. Being a 'tinker' is no different than being a 'technician'. Simply titles for engineers.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  13. #2173
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So far I have seen no one agree with you on that one.
    Did you conduct a poll somewhere that I'm unaware of?

    A title doesn't mean 'the class is mentioned'. Being a 'tinker' is no different than being a 'technician'. Simply titles for engineers.
    If someone says that his people are Tinkers, or if a character is labeled a Tinkerer, or if there's mention of a league of Tinkers in a far off location, then chances are we're talking about the same thing as the WC3 unit.

    So is an Enhancement Shaman a Shaman, or is "Shaman" just a title and its actually a Warrior?

  14. #2174
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Did you conduct a poll somewhere that I'm unaware of?
    There is this thread's responses, and even the thread's pool being a good indicator of it.

    EDIT: also, I throw your question back at you: how do you know 'plenty people would say otherwise'? Did you conduct a poll somewhere that I'm unaware of?

    If someone says that his people are Tinkers, or if a character is labeled a Tinkerer, or if there's mention of a league of Tinkers in a far off location, then chances are we're talking about the same thing as the WC3 unit.
    In your dreams, maybe. It's just titles. You're just too ingrained in this static, unmoving tinker idea of yours to allow yourself to see reason.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  15. #2175
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    There is this thread's responses, and even the thread's pool being a good indicator of it.
    Except the respondents of this poll weren't asked that question. It's also not the main topic of this thread.

    EDIT: also, I throw your question back at you: how do you know 'plenty people would say otherwise'? Did you conduct a poll somewhere that I'm unaware of?
    People have different tastes. I'm shocked that I have to inform you of that.

    In your dreams, maybe. It's just titles. You're just too ingrained in this static, unmoving tinker idea of yours to allow yourself to see reason.
    So is "Enhancement Shaman" just a title for a Warrior?

    Also it's not my Tinker idea, it's Blizzard's Tinker idea.

  16. #2176
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except the respondents of this poll weren't asked that question. It's also not the main topic of this thread.
    Yet it shows a trend of people not wanting the Tinker.

    People have different tastes. I'm shocked that I have to inform you of that.
    True. But it's a fact that drenching people in beer then setting on fire is way less whymsical than a humongous mecha-backpack that basically does everything. Also: drenching people in beer and setting them on fire? three out of hundreds of abilities in the monk's arsenal. It's different than your idea of having that cumbersome giant mecha-backpack being the bread, butter and meat of the tinker class, huh?

    Also it's not my Tinker idea, it's Blizzard's Tinker idea.
    Blizzard's 'tinker' idea for WoW is the engineering profession.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  17. #2177
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Yet it shows a trend of people not wanting the Tinker.
    The majority of people on this forum dislike the idea of new classes in general.

    True. But it's a fact that drenching people in beer then setting on fire is way less whymsical than a humongous mecha-backpack that basically does everything.
    Again, that's entirely your opinion.

    Blizzard's 'tinker' idea for WoW is the engineering profession.
    Which is why none of the Tinker's abilities exist in said profession?

  18. #2178
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Blizzard's 'tinker' idea for WoW is the engineering profession.
    Oh boy......

  19. #2179
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Again, that's entirely your opinion.
    Which mirrors the opinion of the majority.

    Sig image by Best-Signatures.com

  20. #2180
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Which mirrors the opinion of the majority.
    And you're basing this on........?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •