View Poll Results: What is the probability that the Tinker can be the next class ( IYO)

Voters
1260. This poll is closed
  • 0%

660 52.38%
  • 0-10%

189 15.00%
  • 10-20%

58 4.60%
  • 20-30%

51 4.05%
  • 30-40%

30 2.38%
  • 40-50%

58 4.60%
  • 50-60%

48 3.81%
  • 60-70%

34 2.70%
  • 70-80%

38 3.02%
  • 80-90%

25 1.98%
  • 90-100%

69 5.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    You're taking your tastes and your biases and applying it to the entire WoW player community.
    It's also what GC thought of the Tinker class being too whimsical. Wouldn't have been brought up if it weren't a viable concern.

Again, I'll take the whacky, whimsical Goblin Tinker over the dull, run of the mill GW2 Engineer any day of the week. Just like the WoW Monk is the most whacky, whimsical Monk in the MMO spectrum, yet is the most original, unique, and interesting.
    Well it's good to know the class will have one person playing it, but it would be much more accessible to forgoe the clownish concepts of the Goblin Tinker.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-03-08 at 01:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    It's also what GC thought of the Tinker class being too whimsical. Wouldn't have been brought up if it weren't a viable concern.
    And you know this how exactly? GC could have very well been talking about the Engineering profession or various WoW NPCs that shoot out robot chickens and have things blow up in your face. The Tinker hero unit was far more serious than that.

Well it's good to know the class will have one person playing it.
    Someone's bitter...

The Tinker WC3 core is intact. I'm sorry your pet concept's WC3 core isn't.

but it would be much more accessible to forgoe the clownish concepts of the Goblin Tinker.
    You mean like the clownish concepts of the Monk tank spec (which is probably one of the most enjoyable and original specs in the game)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    I hope not. They are too close to engineers, i doubt blizz will want to add tinkers.
    Yeah the same way DK is too close to scribe and Mage to enchant!

Deleted
    I personally think non-goblin, non-gnome applications of the tinker concept are the most enticing. Just as Druid is themed differently per race, so too could tinker have it's aesthetics racially themed. Consider these races, peppered with freshly googled images:

Dwarves
    I'm not even sure gnomes are the most technologically themed race in Ironforge (certainly the most advanced). Consider that Ironforge itself is the worlds most industrialised city. It is heft out of stone, build around the worlds largest metalworking facility; it even has it's own airfield. The difference bewteen Dwarven and Gnomish technological inclinations seems to be that Dwarves are more interested in heavy industrial machinery with practical applications (whereas Gnomes seem to do shit 'for science, shits, and giggles').

Forsaken
    Oh, like this guy?

The race full of genocidal mad scientists, spluttering toxin wagons, stitched flesh abominations, and more flasks full of bubbling green fluids than you can poke a stick at? If it means my forsaken toon can have a pair of oversized, stitched necrotic claws connected to a gurgling backpack of ooze with tubes, then count me in for Forsaken Tinker.

Draenei
    Yeah, that's right. Let's not forget why we called them space goats; they literally blasted their way into the franchise on crystalline interdimensional spaceships:

Draenei (or naaru) technology is really kooky and original. It runs on holy goodness and faith. Whereas a goblin tinker might have a sputtering brass engine on his back, I imagine the draenei engineers who operated the exodar might have an entourage of floating charged crystals, a big book, and a whole lot of knowledge on the behaviour of subreal voidmatter particles in high pressure transdimensional states.

Blood Elves
    Yep, those wacky arcanists who have a large collection sinister looking floating crystals:

They use 'em to power their city loaded with floating turrets and artificially intelligent construct security guards:

Let's not forget the main way in and out of the place:

A freaking ornate teleporter. 'But this is all magic' I hear you say. Sorta. It's magitech; the fusion of magic and technology, or technologically applied arcana; exactly how I imagine a Blood Elf tinker would be; an arcanist artificer- scribing code into the ether to automate self sweeping brooms; riding the line between technician, and mage subschool. Hey that'd even be a fun complex for them to have; not being considered 'true mages' for their heavily applied techniques.

Composemail, that was a wonderful display of the diversity of the technology theme. It's definitely its major strength conceptually.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    A freaking ornate teleporter. 'But this is all magic' I hear you say. Sorta. It's magitech; the fusion of magic and technology, or technologically applied arcana; exactly how I imagine a Blood Elf tinker would be; an arcanist artificer- scribing code into the ether to automate self sweeping brooms; riding the line between technician, and mage subschool. Hey that'd even be a fun complex for them to have; not being considered 'true mages' for their heavily applied techniques.
    You forgot something. I dont like tinkers but i have a fetish for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

Not surprising since you think everything is an engineer. Yet you still haven't provided any evidence to back that up.

In any case, the only profession ability Tinkerer Gizlock and Sniggles had was the Goblin dragon gun. The Tinker class could still get that ability, since it wouldn't be the first time a class ability shares a theme with a profession item.

For example; http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=Healing+Elixir#items
    Grizlock's only three other abilieis are 'shoot', which is available to everyone that can equip a ranged weapon, Flash Bomb, which is available to everyone, and Bomb, a generic 'bomb throw' skill that is akin to the skill 'shoot'.

And Sniggles's only ability is the Goblin Dragon Gun, which we all know it's an engineering-built item.

Your examples have nothing that differentiates them from what an engineer NPC can do. Or player, for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Yeah the same way DK is too close to scribe!
    How the hell does that even begin to make sense in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Yeah the same way DK is too close to scribe
    Fanboy arguments in a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zero interest. Then again, I have zero interest in engineering, gnomes or goblins. Quest hubs that revolve around Gnome/Goblin stuff and feature lots of mechanical stuff (the airstrip in Borean Tundra, Area 52, Everlook, etc) usually get skipped. I have never heard anyone outside of forums mention an interest in a "Tinker" class, and it certainly wouldn't get my vote. Neither would Demon Hunter. I think we have enough classes as it is, and wish they hadn't added Monks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukhoi View Post
    You forgot something. I dont like tinkers but i have a fetish for these guys.

Good point! It's not a huge leap to imagine sunreaver tinkers stdying the focussing iris, then building the magitech manabomb that got dropped on Theramore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Grizlock's only three other abilieis are 'shoot', which is available to everyone that can equip a ranged weapon, Flash Bomb, which is available to everyone, and Bomb, a generic 'bomb throw' skill that is akin to the skill 'shoot'.

And Sniggles's only ability is the Goblin Dragon Gun, which we all know it's an engineering-built item.
    I posted those to counter your argument that Tinkers don't exist in WoW.

Your examples have nothing that differentiates them from what an engineer NPC can do. Or player, for that matter.
    You mean other than the Tinkers who have Mage-like spells or other bizarre abilities?

BTW, what Engineer NPCs are you talking about?

Recap:

1.You have yet to provide any evidence that every tech-user that Rhamses mentioned is an engineer of the the engineering profession.
    2.You have been proven wrong several times in regard to Tinker existence within WoW.
    3.You have yet to provide any evidence that profession/class overlap is a problem or an issue that Blizzard cares about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    It's true it's just like what I said in another thread. You can't really sell an expansion with a tinker on the box, well you could try I'm sure it would be successful but a legion themed expansion with Illidan on the box including demon hunters as playable (fuck the overlap) would sell so much more, it would be WOTLK 2.0.
    A lot of people said you couldn't use panda's as a selling point and MoP is generally considered better than Cataclysm. I do agree with you though that a tinker themed expansion, as the selling point, doesn't sound enthralling.

More than likely though the wow addicts will pay for whatever blizzard serves up to them!
    Hi

I posted those to counter your argument that Tinkers don't exist in WoW.
    They don't. The fact your examples are just simply engineer stuff plus even a mage proves that.

You mean other than the Tinkers who have Mage-like spells or other bizarre abilities?
    Talking about the Venture Co. Tinkerer? That's a mage. No other way of spinning it.

Recap:
    1.You have yet to provide any evidence that every tech-user that Rhamses mentioned is an engineer of the the engineering profession.
    2.You have been proven wrong several times in regard to Tinker existence within WoW.
    3.You have yet to provide any evidence that profession/class overlap is a problem or an issue that Blizzard cares about.
    I did. You just ignored them. Machinists are machine vehicle pilots, artisans is a synonym to crafter, etc... I just won't bother reposting everything.

I did. You just ignored them. Machinists are machine vehicle pilots, artisans is a synonym to crafter, etc... I just won't bother reposting everything.
    I just have to ask; How would a Tinker class damage the Engineering profession?

That's the only way overlap would be an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    I just have to ask; How would a Tinker class damage the Engineering profession?
    That's the only way overlap would be an issue...
    One of the issues is that it would make the in-game profession thematically redundant. Blizzard might as well remove the profession from the game. Another that comes to mind is the question: barring balance issues, what stops an engineer from crafting the same things a tinker does?

Deleted
    One of the issues is that it would make the in-game profession thematically redundant. Blizzard might as well remove the profession from the game.
    Just as Mage makes Enchanting thematically redundant.

Just as Mage makes Enchanting thematically redundant.
    You're wrong. All enchanters do is to enchant pieces of armor and weapons. They're one school of magic: enchanting, while mages are at least two, usually three or four.

As for engineers and tinkers, engineers already do all kinds of things: build weapons, bombs, mechs, vehicles, robots, all manners of technology items.

Deleted
    You're wrong. All enchanters do is to enchant pieces of armor and weapons. They're one school of magic: enchanting, while mages are at least two, usually three or four.
    As for engineers and tinkers, engineers already do all kinds of things: build weapons, bombs, mechs, vehicles, robots, all manners of technology items.
    Engineers make shit. Engineering is a production profession. Tinker is a (proposed) class. Classes don't make things. Classes deal damage, hold threat, or heal. Tinker would do 1-3 of those things, hopefully with a novel game mechanic for each. Simple stuff, really.

The bearing of the technology themed production profession on the technology themed class would be the same as the bearing of the arcane magic themed production profession on the arcane magic themed class.

Tinkers can be a class in WoW the day Blizzard removes the engineering profession from the game. Tinker abilities would overlap too much with the various bombs and gadgets that engineers have otherwise.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2014-03-08 at 06:52 PM.

Engineers make shit. Engineering is a production profession. Tinker is a (proposed) class. Classes don't make things. Classes deal damage, hold threat, or heal. Tinker would do 1-3 of those things, hopefully with a novel game mechanic for each. Simple stuff, really.

The bearing of the technology themed production profession on the technology themed class would be the same as the bearing of the arcane magic themed production profession on the arcane magic themed class.
    Enchanters enchant items, mages cast combat spells. There are no overlap. Engineers make tech 'shit'. Tinkers make tech 'shit'. Engineers use tech 'shit'. Tinkers use tech 'shit'. There is full overlap here.

Thematically, there is nothing a tinker does that an engineer can't do.