Poll: If WoW started over would want to start over?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW Reloaded...A new beginning...

I have played WoW since launch of BC, and I have to say I absolutely love the game, but after all these years frankly I am bored! I was talking to a few friends I have gamed with for years and even though we have been looking at other games we all feel Blizzard has done such an amazing job it is hard to meet our expectations of a new game.

What we would like to see would be WoW...a new beginning. We want a whole new world, Azeroth has become boring! New explorations, new stuff to grind, new dungeons, new raids, but we don't want the new thoughts of "Everyone should be able to see everything". A guild should mean something, and now it doesn't really mean anything.

I recall my wife spending countless hours farming pets and being very proud of her 100+ pet collection to have it all taken away by Pokemon.

Every class doesn't need the same ability, and yes, you should have to bring certain classes to get all the buffs. Everyone needs to be unique in their own way.

I think what I miss the most about earlier WoW was the social side of the game which was created by having to be in a guild to see content, and even though it sucked spamming in a major city to put together a 5 man...you eventually made friends and also recruited guildies.

I am sure I will get flamed by some of the people that want things easy and also told this is an elitest post, but the people that I know that share my beliefs are the ones that paid their subs for multiple years...they are the part of player base that has helped keep this game alive for a decade.

If Blizzard did this what would you omit or add to the new game?
    Last edited by roflmfao; 2014-02-17 at 02:12 AM.

so you want World of Warcraft 2??????????

i agree - a lot has gone out of wow from the very beginning but back then it was a different kind of player!(if thats the right saying) - bk then ppl seemed more patient and were willing to work for epics they could get, now not so much but its still a good game regardless
    Last edited by btf; 2014-02-16 at 09:36 PM.

Whatever you want to call it, I think it is pretty messed up in it's current state and would like to see something new from Blizz even if it meant starting over.

I highly doubt there would ever be a World of Warcraft II.

They're slowly updating all older content, bringing it up to date with modern expectations and that means anyone going through any part of the game (Veteran or Newcomer), they're going to see a modern and well developed section of the game.

It'll take years to fully complete, and it'll be an on-going process throughout the development cycle of World of Warcraft, but chances are it'll still be cheaper, more profitable and generally better for the community to do so. Transferring from WoW to WoW II would be a painful process, leaving behind the ~10 or so years (Or whatever it would be) behind, and for what?

A few changes that are generally not worth it, and generally speaking could theoretically done to World of Warcraft itself.

Quote Originally Posted by roflmfao View Post
    I think what I miss the most about earlier WoW was the social side of the game which was created by having to be in a guild to see content, and even though it sucked spamming in a major city to put together a 5 man...you eventually made friends and also recruited guildies.
    I remember spaming world LFG chat for an entire evening to get a group for Scholo once (however, last week I spent a total of 3,5 hours in the LFR que) only to become friends with the people I ended up doing that dungeon run with.
    The thing is, even though I'd like to live similar experiences again, I don't have that kind of available time anymore. Last year I started playing on a private realm with classic content only and even now my warlock there has yet to reach level 40. I don't even log on him most of the time because I know I won't be able to actually do anything aside from grinding mobs while asking people to come to SM with me. The community, however, is just like back in 2006 (talkative, helpful), and much better than on retail, which feels like a ghost world even when you are surrounded by other players.

A guild should mean something, and now it doesn't really mean anything.
    They tried to do this in Cata, whith the new guild system, and what we ended up with instead of small guilds becoming rarer was small guilds starting mass recruiting lowbies to get their g-level up.
    If you ask me, the way to fix this is to make guilds actually matter for players who are not playing hardcore. Right now, there is absolutely no reason to join a guild unless you intent to participate in organised raids on fixed weekdays. This is why more casual guilds have dissappeared and have been replaced with 3-4man guilds so the GM and his friends can use the g-bank.

My 2 cents in response to your post.

1. The concept of "tiered" content in the sense of LFR -> Flex -> Normal -> HM needs to go away. Progression used to mean clearing the dungeon and then moving on to the next one and if you couldn't cut it in the next dungeon, you farmed the first one until your team had the gear to progress in the next one. No, not everyone got to see everything BUT the benefit of that system was that there was always something to work toward. Today progression means clearing the dungeon on one difficulty and then going back and killing the same bosses again on the next difficulty and repeating this for months on end. We also used to get "side content" in the form of non-tier raid dungeons (think ZG, AQ, ZA) which even if your guild didn't want to focus progression time on, it still gave you something to do on off-nights.

2. As far as actual buffs go, no, I didn't see it as a problem when you had to bring a Druid for Motw or a Shaman for BL, but some abilities did need to be extended across the board. Making abilities such as an interrupt limited to certain classes ensured that those classes were going to be brought no matter what while others were sat in favor of more utility. This is especially true for smaller group content. Back in the 40 man days it didn't matter who could do what because chances are you were going to have at least one of every class on your faction. But I guarantee you the dps hybrids don't miss being looked over for the harder heroic 5 mans for classes with reliable interrupts. I can also tell you that tanking Shattered Halls and Shadow Labs with a Druid or Warrior was an act of frustration compared to the faceroll it was for Paladins back in TBC when they were the only ones with reliable AoE. I do not miss that one bit. I fully agree that in general the classes feel too similar, but in some ways they needed to share the abilities more. Of course, there were probably ways to do so without making them feel so similar.

On that note I still hate the new talent system and would very much appreciate them bringing the talents from Wrath back. I also don't care for their answer to "button bloat" in the loss of so many abilities that I actually cared about.

3. Guilds were not what created the social aspect of WoW or any other MMORPG. Guilds should matter, I wholeheartedly agree, and should play a bigger role in getting to see larger group content. But the social aspect of these games used to be players coming together on their own to do things. I started this game 2 months after vanilla released and within the first week I was playing I had made friends who I was leveling with and learning the game from. Today new players asking questions are met with animosity for seemingly wasting the time of those more experienced players standing around major cities twiddling their virtual thumbs. There used to be content from quests to dungeons that required you to group up with others and there was no X-realm LFD tool to do it with. You asked in general chat and made a group. And sometimes those groups turned into people you called friends. Today you can level from 1-90 without speaking to another player. Should you wish to run a dungeon, groups are formed through a matchmaking tool and players do not speak to each other, rather they rush through, ignoring loot and often quests to complete the instance and be rid of each other as fast as possible.

4. I agree with you in a sense that Azeroth is stale, but I do not think we need to scrap it and get a new world. I think they need to bring Azeroth to life. Why do we have to wait 6-8 months at a time for MAJOR content patches? Why can they not implement events every month? The invasions at the end of vanilla, the zombies in tbc, the elementals in wrath, why do things like that only happen at the end of an expansion? If the threats we face in Azeroth are to be taken seriously, then why do we not see more evidence of them in our day to day activities? They say they want to bring back the danger of this game, well danger was getting stomped to death by a Devilsaur in Un'Goro or a Fel Reaver in Hellfire. Danger was wandering too far down the road in the Barrens and ending up getting eaten by a 40+ crocolisk in Dustwallow Marsh. Removing flying doesn't bring that back because the world is designed to be "safe". But what if they patched something dangerous in one month, like how Deathwing used to randomly come up and BBQ you? Something that you could gather a group and kill, and be rewarded with something unique that doesn't come from a raid but isn't total garbage.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good post Bearshield, and you made some very good points. Leveling a main or an alt in a matter of days does kill the social side. You just burn the toon to max and move to the next area rather than take the time to enjoy the new changes Voodoo was talking about, and I think there is some merit to your 4th point which you wouldn't think would be hard with phasing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, poll isn't clear.

I mean, I would play it if it happened, but I prefer it stays unchanged.

10+ Year Old Account
    What we would like to see would be WoW...a new beginning. We want a whole new world, Azeroth has become boring! New explorations, new stuff to grind, new dungeons, new raids, but we don't want the new thoughts of "Everyone should be able to see everything". A guild should mean something, and now it doesn't really mean anything.
    Then that isn't WoW. Azeroth is Warcraft.

I recall my wife spending countless hours farming pets and being very proud of her 100+ pet collection to have it all taken away by Pokemon.
    I fail to see how pet battles reduces her pet collection or takes it away. I know a particular guildie who has spent hundreds of thousands of gold and countless hours farming rare and battling them and shows no signs of stopping.

Every class doesn't need the same ability, and yes, you should have to bring certain classes to get all the buffs.
    You still do. You still need either a mage or a shaman for Hero. You need both if you split tank Shamans, for instance. You still need to bring classes to cover all buffs. That hasn't changed. All that has changed is it is easier to form a viable comp with competent players instead of having to bench excellent players in favor of weaker ones just because they have the one class you can't live without

I dont know what i want, but i want it!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with making a WoW 2 is that Blizzard would essentially be dipping their dick into a piranha tank. The fans would go mad "Ohh they changed this. Why are there no Pandas? They better not add Pandas! Why is Orgrimmar different? Blizzard hates the Horde. WHAT!?!?!?!?! Stormwind is destroyed? Blizzard hates the Alliance! What? It isn't actually taking place in Azeroth!?!? YOU fucks! You owe me! I played WoW since Alpha! You! OWE! ME! What? Where is my free loot? This game isn't hard enough! Expansion to Azeroth?! Cheap rehashing fucks!" I could continue this for another 2,000 words more but my point is made. The fans would hate it because Blizzard did what they wanted with their IP. If the make it different, people will rage. If they make it similar, people will rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Henno View Post
    I dont know what i want, but i want it!

wow 2 really needs to happen imo. the model updates and all that is just polishing a really old, dusty turd.

Eh, if a lot of the quality of life things like flying mounts, LFD/LFR and the like went away I wouldn't bother. LFD/LFR is one of the few things to keep me subbed and since the time I can spend on the game varies greatly from day to day I'm not going to waste money server hopping looking for guilds that "might" want to recruit me or have the guild fall apart a month or so later.

I know people bemoan the lack of socializing in the game, but look how bad the community is (LFD didn't create that; those people were already in the game); maybe if the playerbase stopped being pricks and started acting like normal people there would be more socializing going on. Seeing how rude and toxic many WoW players are, people can't be blamed for avoiding talking to people.

I've been in WoW since day 1 and while there are fond memories of Vanilla, I suspect they are rose colored and are forgetting the solid year of MC being run every single Friday, the guild fracturing between those of us who wanted to push into BWL and others who wanted to keep farming MC and just being used to gear up people headed to the big raiding guild at the time (that guild is no longer around whereas ours is the oldest guild on the server), the year of nothing to do as I had the best dungeon gear one could get (not very good for a Mage as Blizz had claimed that for Mages more Int meant more DPS, which is very false, just meant longer endurance, but Mage endurance was way past what was needed) and wasn't able to get into a raid until my guild finally got one organized. I also know how fortunate I was to see Ragnaros and Nafarion die. More than 95% of players never got to participate in a Nafarion kill. Go try to make a build on one of the legacy Vanilla talent trees out there.

For me BC was the worst of all the time I have played WoW. Not because it was a bad expansion, but rather that it was very harsh if you were a pure DPS class and missed the initial release wave as I did. Getting Revered reputations in order to get keyed was impossible to do on my server and I couldn't raid at all until they dropped it to Honored.

I think my concern would be that my rose colored glasses were deceiving me, so no, I would not like to turn back the clock even if it were an option.

10+ Year Old Account

What the fuck did i just read, how is that logical at all? "oh no my wife grinded all these meaningless companion pets, AND NOW THEY ARE USEFUL, fuck my life"
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather see a world of starcraft. It would be much more interesting than wow2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played WoW since launch of BC, and I have to say I absolutely love the game, but after all these years frankly I am bored! I was talking to a few friends I have gamed with for years and even though we have been looking at other games we all feel Blizzard has done such an amazing job it is hard to meet our expectations of a new game.

Every class doesn't need the same ability, and yes, you should have to bring certain classes to get all the buffs. Everyone needs to be unique in their own way.

I am sure I will get flamed by some of the people that want things easy and also told this is an elitest post, but the people that I know that share my beliefs are the ones that paid their subs for multiple years...they are the true player base that has helped keep this game alive for a decade.

If Blizzard did this what would you omit or add to the new game?
    1. Posts that try to speak for everyone are stupid. Next time spare us the "We want this" and "We are bored of that" - you are qualified to speak for yourself, not 7 million+ people.

2. Some peoples' guilds are special and do mean something. Mine's about to turn 9 years old and is filled with amazing players who are not only good at their classes but actually know how to treat other people. So again, stop trying to speak for other people.

3. Nothing was taken away from your wife by 'pokemon'. I had hundreds more pets than she did and personally I'm happy to finally have something to do with them. So stop taking the game's growth and change as some personal insult to you and what you've done. Few things are more eyeroll-inducing than that sort of hyperbole.

4. Your 'good old days' nostalgia about what every class does and doesn't need is all fine and great until you're the paladin tank who was useless against bosses or the dps who doesn't have CC. Then suddenly half your raid has to reroll or GTFO to cover <insert name of mandatory thing> because people like you think the game was actually better that way. No. It wasn't.

Tanks need to be able to tank. Healers need to be able to heal. Not some of the time, all of the time. If you don't understand that, you don't understand game design and you damn well don't understand the gamers you think you speak for (hint: you don't).

If you're not happy with WoW unsub or go post on the forums with suggestions for what you'd like. But next time, do so without the assumption that everyone else feels the same way you do - because, surprise, they don't.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2014-02-17 at 01:28 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I am sure I will get flamed by some of the people that want things easy and also told this is an elitest post, but the people that I know that share my beliefs are the ones that paid their subs for multiple years...they are the true player base that has helped keep this game alive for a decade.
    Earlier I answered your thread title. Now I will respond to this tripe. I do not care to have you speak for me, please do not presume to. I have been playing this game longer than you have and I am assuredly one of those "ones that paid their subs for multiple years", yet I do not agree with any of your conclusions, nor do I consider myself the true player base and new players only clueless scrubs who just want easy mode. Having been here since day one does not give my voice anymore validity than that of somebody who said "Ooooh, Panda men. I love Pandas!" and bought WoW + MoP to get into the game playing a Pandaren. Either of us could have valuable perspectives on where the game should go, coming from experience and fresh eyes, or either of us could be egotistical dicks who are incapable of thinking of how our idea(s) would affect the game beyond us.

I started in Vanilla, but the past is the past.

Would rather see a Warcraft 4 than a WoW reboot.