Graduation Gift Build

I built a pc when I finished high school and promised myself I'd build another after I finished grad school. That time has come and gone, and I'm working on a parts list that will hopefully get me through whatever the next few years in gaming throws my way.

Budget is about $1200, understanding that I already have a case and psu, but would like a replacement sound card since my ht omega striker is pci vs pcie.

Resolution is max 1920x1200.

I will be buying and shipping in the US.

I have a Thermaltake Bronze 800 PSU and a Cooler Master HAF932 case that can be reused. I do not need peripherals or an operating system as im using Windows 7 already.

I would like to futureproof a little with the 4770k, but am up for ideas with the other parts.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MidtownMelee/saved/3Mcb

Thank you ahead of time for any attention and advice you provide!
    Last edited by Atheotes; 2014-02-18 at 07:50 PM.

Not sure if you have a Microcenter near you but here is what I came up with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Urgq

Smaller HHD but bigger SSD for games and OS. Saved some money on the video card.

Deleted
    made some few changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.99 @ Mwave)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.96 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1225.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-16 18:25 EST-0500)

no need for an i7 if ure not into video editing and 3d modeling, the i5 performs just as well in games.
    went for the 780 as it can be fit in the budget.
    changed mobo to something cheaper and just as good + the nice fanxpert2 feature.
    switched the ram to lowprofile and a little cheaper, u might run into trouble otherwise with a noctua cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by flens View Post
    no need for an i7 if ure not into video editing and 3d modeling, the i5 performs just as well in games..
    This is true. Every "expert" I've heard recommends ignoring the i7 unless you're into these things. You won't see much if any performance in games with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    This is true. Every "expert" I've heard recommends ignoring the i7 unless you're into these things. You won't see much if any performance in games with it.
    Don't need to be an expert to know the difference between an i5 and an i7. Bigger numbers doesn't mean better for every situation. :P
    Last edited by solvexx; 2014-02-18 at 05:12 AM.

Deleted
    based off of the original build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Mwave)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.96 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.54 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1203.44
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-17 13:40 EST-0500)

You don't need a new sound-card, and would probably get better results with a separate headset DAC over the Xonar, but it's your money.

I included a PSU, as some of (but not all of) them have very mixed reviews.

Drop the 4770k, an i5 4670k will do everything you could possibly need in gaming.
    The performance increase of an i7 will not be noticed in games, only in hyperthreading tasks like 3D modelling and SERIOUSLY HEAVY video rendering.
    You don't need to future proof with CPUs when the only one above the one you SHOULD be getting is pointless for you.

Use the saved money from the CPU to pick up a GTX 780 GPU.
    Other than that, it's a pretty solid foundation.

What case are you going to use btw?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    What case are you going to use btw?
    It's in the OP that they'll be using a HAF 932.

Dropped the i7, replaced with the i5-4670k as suggested. Found that the MSI Z87-G45 board does not play well with my Vertex 2 SSD because of OCZ's controller, so will need to replace the board or the drive (would rather get a board with a pci slot so I can keep using my existing sound card and save ~$90). edit: apparently very few Haswell boards work with the Sandforce controller my ssd uses. Maybe one with a secondary Marvel controller. Will likely have to upgrade the SSD regardless.

@flens I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me, but appreciate the rest of your suggestions. Having dropped the i7, I've opted to go for the GTX780. I chose 1866 speed ram for probably the same reason I chose the 4770k, but you're suggesting I can just avoid that and stick with the 1600 speed and see no real difference? The board you chose looks to have the pci slot that my sound card requires, but it looks so gaudy. Will have to consider. Knowing that I may need lower profile ram is a great hidden insight I never would have considered, thank you.

I do want to have a sound card as I run optical out to my home theater, or to my headphone amp to my hd 595s. I'm guessing onboard sound quality still isn't anything to write home about on a $150 mobo.

Shouldn't need a PSU as I have an 800w Thermaltake from just a year or so ago.

Deleted
    yeah, in gaming there will be no difference going from 1600 to 1866 ram. the board i chose is a very good one, though i dont care for aesthetics u might give us a theme we can work with then (keep in mind that u might lose performance going for theme based components). soundwise, the asus has 7.1 sound onboard and i really dont know if u would hear a difference with the xonar. i usually only recommend sound cards to those, who do some professional music stuff.

I have red case fans and lighting throughout my old pc, but I concede, without spending more money on a Hero board or being content with my previous z87-g45, aesthetics shouldn't matter much. I'm going from an old DFI Blood-Iron P34 board, so you could say I rather like red. :P Also, with your board, I can keep my existing sound card, which saves me the $90 I could use to upgrade the mobo higher since I'm already buying a gtx780 and i5-4670k.

What about this board? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128617
    jhold also suggested this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157369

Honestly, motherboards in general are pretty perplexing in terms of finding meaningful comparisons, for me. I appreciate all the help and responses thus far though!

edit: I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the ASRock Z87 board, due to pricing, PCI slot, and not overly-gaudy color theme. Bad reviews focus on onboard audio, but my soundcard makes that a nonissue. Anything you can advise that would make me regret buying this particular board?
    Last edited by Atheotes; 2014-02-18 at 07:30 PM.

Deleted
    shouldnt be anything wrong with the asrock mobo.