Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    That feel when you realize no game will ever make you feel like WoW did when you first played it

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Nope. Actually, Vanilla was the only point in time I actually loved leveling a Paladin.

I wanted to tank, but everyone said Paladins can't tank. I ended up going Holy because (to me) it looked like the best solo survival spec. I had MMO experience from Final Fantasy XI, so the talents I was reading made sense to me.

I would tank on my Holy Paladin and amaze the crap out of people. Granted, it required coordination, but it worked. Judgement of Crusader+Consecration = LOLDAMAGE. I ran out of mana after two pulls, but I only needed to drink for less than 10 seconds to get it back.

I could kill mobs 3-7 levels higher than me with absolute ease.

I could heal in tank gear just fine, which I did several times. It was really easy with the force-crit talent.

Leveling was fun, especially after I got Holy Shock (More damage buttons). I also remember leveling in Desolace and being able to Excorcism everything. I got this quest there for the Sword of Serenity and that's when I started my journey to conquer SM.

Actually, low/mid level Holy Paladin was probably the most OP class in the game. Consecration did ridiculous damage with Judgement of the Crusader (absolutely ridiculous damage), and only Holy could get consecration until later levels. Prot/ret didn't have access to it until 50s. It had the best healing of any Paladin spec for obvious reasons, it could keep its mana high for a very long time, and it could wear plate armor which actually mattered back then. So if I wore tank armor as a Holy Paladin I was a great DPS, great tank, and great healer, in one class/spec.

Anyway, this probably stopped at 50 (That's when I quit and when back to FFXI), but I admit my experience on Vanilla WoW was fun.
    Depends on when you leveled it as far as Consecration goes, they moved it around several times during the talent overhauls for Paladin. I think originally it was a deeper Holy talent but I think by the time I really got into it it was closer to the top of the Ret tree.

I was glad after it was all said and done that I leveled Paladin first, I didn't know just how bad it was. The one thing it had going for it is that you could solo lots of stuff that other classes couldn't ( or at least do it sooner) because of all of the CD's. Like most classes back then it had its moments of glory as well. I can remember the early 40's it went from just pressing judgement and going AFK for 10 minutes to finally blowing stuff up fairly easy. It also became pretty good in PvP during the 40's bracket.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that did the Holy tanking in Vanilla. It didn't work great being we didn't have a taunt ( thats what I used Holy Shock for actually) but in anything with Undead it was a complete blast to play that way, well other than the stops to drink. I usually was brought in the 5 slot in my groups back then because of judgements, the buffs, and the fact that DPS and healers could push the limit of threat much easier with BoP and Salvation. I would also off tank any mobs that couldn't be CC'd. Probably enjoyed playing Paladin as a support class back then than at any time sense. I miss when Hybrids were really hybrids.

Also being on a PvP server playing a Paladin was great fun. I was a Rogue killing machine and if someone jumped you you could just bubble/hearth and laugh at them. Granted I don't miss the bags full of reagents but otherwise it was great fun once you reached a certain point. The class overall was a mess for Vanilla, but what it did do well it did really well and a well played Paladin could make a run go so much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Depends on when you leveled it as far as Consecration goes, they moved it around several times during the talent overhauls for Paladin. I think originally it was a deeper Holy talent but I think by the time I really got into it it was closer to the top of the Ret tree.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that did the Holy tanking in Vanilla. It didn't work great being we didn't have a taunt ( thats what I used Holy Shock for actually) but in anything with Undead it was a complete blast to play that way, well other than the stops to drink. I usually was brought in the 5 slot in my groups back then because of judgements, the buffs, and the fact that DPS and healers could push the limit of threat much easier with BoP and Salvation. I would also off tank any mobs that couldn't be CC'd. Probably enjoyed playing Paladin as a support class back then than at any time sense. I miss when Hybrids were really hybrids.
    You didn't need to. You marked something with skull, used Judgement of the Crusader on it, and popped Consecration. Consecration would do like 20dmg/sec, but Judgement of the Crusader made it do like 80dmg/sec. It was absolutely ridiculous how much damage it did. Maybe it got nerfed or something. I only played for about a month.

Oldschool Crusader judgement http://db.valkyrie-wow.com/?spell=20303

I agree on the second point. I played a hybrid to be a hybrid, not be better at something than someone designed specifically for it. It was a design philosophy I respected.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2014-02-18 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    You didn't need to. You marked something with skull, used Judgement of the Crusader on it, and popped Consecration. Consecration would do like 20dmg/sec, but Judgement of the Crusader made it do like 80dmg/sec. It was absolutely ridiculous how much damage it did. Maybe it got nerfed or something. I only played for about a month.

Oldschool Crusader judgement http://db.valkyrie-wow.com/?spell=20303

I agree on the second point. I played a hybrid to be a hybrid, not be better at something than someone designed specifically for it. It was a design philosophy I respected.
    I don't think I ever had Consecration when I was tanking. By the time I was doing it I think it was so deep in the Ret tree that you had to either give up Redoubt and Holy Shock to get it. I may be wrong though its been a very long time. I may have had it but I don't remember it being that OP by the time I was doing it.

Paladin had lots of things moved around and changed in Vanilla. Just about the time you would find something that worked pretty well or maybe was slightly OP it got nerfed hard. Tigole and Furor weren't going to let a Hybrid, especially one that might could tank, be better than Warriors or anything else considered a Pure.