[BM] Challenge modes & proving grounds

Probably next week I'm going to go for challenge modes for gold (got all silver). My question is regarding gear or rather regarding reforge. I know that I need another helmet (meta) and another cloak (legendary doesn't work). Aside of that what is suggested reforging/gemming strat? Since it's gonna be lvl 463 gear should it be 7.5 hit -> 7.5 (or more?) expertise -> haste? With 463 we won't get to satisfactory levels anyway. What trinkets would you suggest? (assuming that I don't have access to xuen atm).

Does the same goes for proving grounds? Or should I go master build there?

i was under the assumption that the legendary cloak is still best on stats alone

Go crit. You want DPS, mastery won't save you. CMs are a speed runs - so you want to kill things ASAP, during stuns/CDs etc..
    I went with 7.5% hit, 15% expertise and then full crit.
    I you want to minmax - get crit/haste items with as many sockets as possible + 2x weapons from ToT (Extra sockets).
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Yeah mastery is utter shit. while inside a CM i had roughly 13k critt, 415k hp buffed and 418 mastery rating (no mastery buff in group) and dmg intake were fine consider its CMs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I'll do that, thanks for the suggestions
    This is for proving grounds, not for CMs:

- DO NOT go dps. (The NPC does so much more damage, your own really does not matter.)
    - For trinkets I'd use double Stam. (Also stam flask and stam food.)

I assume you know that gear with sockets is better than anything else since the values of the gems and the socket bonus isn't scaled down?

There is a reforger in proving grounds since hit scaling is screwy as hell so adjust the caps accordingly. I'd use him to reforge my CM gear as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    This is for proving grounds, not for CMs:

- DO NOT go dps. (The NPC does so much more damage, your own really does not matter.)
    - For trinkets I'd use double Stam. (Also stam flask and stam food.)

I assume you know that gear with sockets is better than anything else since the values of the gems and the socket bonus isn't scaled down?

There is a reforger in proving grounds since hit scaling is screwy as hell so adjust the caps accordingly. I'd use him to reforge my CM gear as well.
    Hit/exp doesn't get rescaled does it? If you're capped outside cms you're capped inside, no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aranoch View Post
    Hit/exp doesn't get rescaled does it? If you're capped outside cms you're capped inside, no?
    Items with random stats still get downscaled, even if it's exp/hit.

15% expertise is unnecessary. The most dangerous parts (the trash mobs) are level 92 or 91, I think. I ran through with ~10% expertise.

You'll need to gem/reforge more haste in order to have 3k haste inside the CMs.

I did CMs with two stam trinkets, but that might depend on the DPS you have with you.

I did my first CMs yesterday. I found that chi brew is pretty amazing. Sure it's theoretically less chi gen than the others, but that's only if you're continuously hitting targets. In cms you'll find there's enough downtime to recharge your chi brew between important pulls. The five stacks of EB is very valuable as well since you have a lot less crit than usual.

As I do more of these I'm def going to decrease my hit/exp a bit, with the goal of 100% chance to connect to 92 mobs but not 93.
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2014-02-20 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post

Does the same goes for proving grounds? Or should I go master build there?
    Friend i did it Crit build with haroms talisman and ebon detonator. Just look up and youtube midwinters brewmaster pop Fort on 3,6 and 9 / 13/16/19 /23/26/29 reasons is you have 3 uses and its up for the my fatal phases the 6th and the 9th. The majority of the time you won't be doing anything aside from kiting.

Done a few boosts in my tank gear, which is Mastery gemmed etc. and no CM reforging. Had 1.1k Haste with Haromm's and TED as trinkets. No issues at all completing them in time with boosting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Twixtor View Post
    Friend i did it Crit build with haroms talisman and ebon detonator. Just look up and youtube midwinters brewmaster pop Fort on 3,6 and 9 / 13/16/19 /23/26/29 reasons is you have 3 uses and its up for the my fatal phases the 6th and the 9th. The majority of the time you won't be doing anything aside from kiting.
    Me? The fort brew usage sounds about right, but I don't recall kiting much if at all. I'd also steer clear of rppm trinkets/Haromm's. they scale down pretty horribly. Not to mention that you do about a quarter the damage of the npc. If I were to do the thing again, I'd gem and enchant stamina and reforge to mastery.

Deleted
    Im having problems with damage received on CMs. Whats the spell priority you are using for pulls? do you have some good vids or guides from a BM pov?¿

Best advice anyone can give to a BM new to challenge modes is Keg Smash -> Blackout Kick for immediate shuffle and dont be afraid to kite when things hurt. You can kite better than any tank out there so take advantage of it.