Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Only real reason to get an xbox was for HALO. No other reason.
    Well, actually, while I did get Halo, and Halo 2, and loved those games, the absolute best reason to get an Xbox was obviously the fact that once you installed a crack chip, you could install Xbox Media Center (known as Xbmc4Xbox these days), which would allow you to watch videos and listen to music on your Xbox straight off your PC, as well as play DVDs. It was hands down the ultimate media machine back then. Mind you, this was a time before 720p, and back then, PlayStation was utter shit as a media machine. XBMC could play pretty much every single format known to man, even video files from inside a set of archives. Hell, you could even add plugins to it to watch online TV channels, Youtube, and so on.

Xbox Media Center is still going strong, but the original Xbox - being the only Xbox that you could use said software on - can't play 720p and higher videos, and as such it's getting a bit old as a media machine.

So yeah, there was another reason than Halo.

Also, and this isn't for children, but...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post

The only reason to buy a console is for exclusives.
    Not the only reason to buy a console.

Space
    Price
    Exclusives
    Ease of use

Are 4 reasons right there.

So, yeah.

Also, lets judge everything on the early products that aren't properly optimized for the system. Seriously, that's a great idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Sony designed PS4 with games in mind, not cable tv. It was pretty obvious for anyone who isn't xbox fanboy from start.
    It is absolutely this. And yes, they already lost the war, without the release of PS4s in Japan, the country, where 99% consoles are Playstations, MS is already 1,5 Millions behind if I remember right.

Beside that, the owners of MS shares want MS to abandon Xbox series. They know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Yes, it is. It's getting outsold 2-to-1 and the ps4 isn't even out in Japan yet. MS botched this one and they're paying the price.
    The PS4 has and still is out in more places than the xbox one even if it isn't out in japan, and the price point is lower.

For average buyers, that is the only reasons. I would venture that the graphics have little to no bearing on peoples purchasing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Xbox, and more specifically the Xboxone, Have never really stood a chance against Playstation, Only real reason to get an xbox was for HALO. No other reason.
    What about competitive CoD?
    There's a second reason, and there's a billion others.

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post

Beside that, the owners of MS shares want MS to abandon Xbox series. They know why.
    You want to give the rest of the thread actual numbers about this, or would that ruin your comment? Because it is about .08 percent of the MS shareholders that actually said that.

Also their reason for saying that was not because it was a loss, it was because they wanted MS to focus on enterprise applications.

They also wanted them to get rid of the surface OS, and bing.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2014-02-17 at 02:41 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiack View Post
    That is a good point. Xbox doesn't necessarily need to outsell ps4(at least at this point), since they make more money per unit sold. And definitely agree, the battle only just begins.
    keep in mind that PS4 has it's own version of the kinect, called the move, and sold separately. I don't know how much they sold, so the comparaison is incomplete.

Also, more unit sold leads to more accessories sold (gamepad) and more licence revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Primaryjane View Post
    It's funny to me that XBO is "losing" the war when they're doing better financially. Both consoles sell for a net loss, meaning they cost more to produce than they actually sell for. So based on consoles sales, Sony is deeper in the hole. They make their money back in game sales. The console manufacturers get something like 15% of a games retail price. XBO has sold a much larger amount of games than PS4. So even though MS is behind on console sales, they're ahead fiscally.
    From everything I've seen, PS4 games are outselling Xbox games (there was a claim Xbox game sales were higher, but it was just deceptive PR as they included 360 games too). Also, who's to say that Xbox isn't losing more money per console than Sony? The Kinect, even though it's pretty useless for gaming, is a very sophisticated piece of kit and they probably make a big loss on each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post

Space
    Price
    Exclusives
    Ease of use

So, yeah.

Also, lets judge everything on the early products that aren't properly optimized for the system. Seriously, that's a great idea.
    I was saying the only reason to buy one console over the other is for exclusives, not the only reason to buy a console over a PC.

So my one reason still stands, the other are mutual (other than maybe price) therefore they don't count.

Personally, I agree with this. As a high end PC gamer, no console lives up to the standards my main system offers. This means exclusives are the only appealing thing about a console to me.

As a result, I went Wii U. Nintendo always has the most exclusives I want to play.

Consoles will never display quality like a PC will. If you are buying a console for graphical fidelity, you are doing it wrong.

Also the chart is misleading, granted most of the games out at the moment for the xbox one are sub-1080p, but that chart implies that the xbox one is incapable of 1080p games.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only that, but for the average casual gamer, they buy a console for the price, they are going to think "why should I pay $200 more for the same games" and then they will buy whichever is cheaper. In this case PS4.
    While I do agree with you, no casual is buying these yet. When they do start buying them, I think the pricing landscape between these two will be much different then they are now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post

Space - waste of space vs not buying a console
    Price - waste of money vs not buying a console
    Exclusives
    Ease of use - press play button vs pressing on/off switch on console

those aren´t reasons (see bold). the only really major reason is simply the exclusives

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Xbox likes to sacrifice resolution for frame rate. I guess all their additional UI means they have to keep the resolutions low for the Xbox One to keep getting a decent frame rate. That's probably one of the biggest trade offs when they created an entertainment system instead of a gaming system.
    From reading developer blogs pertaining the systems PS4 is more powerful and easier to develop for. It's almost exactly backwards from the previous generation. In time both systems will be 1080p 60 fps. However it is harder to develop for the xbox one than the xbox 360 therefor the developers are putting xbox one games out at a stable resolution for the console right now simply because they have deadlines to meet. Once developers figure out the xbox one(like they did ps3) the games will start running at 1080p/60 like the ps4. The only difference is the ps4 still has room to spare while the xbox needs gimmicks(again similar to ps3) to get higher resolutions.

Also, to the people who want the xbox to die early and sony be the only next gen console manufacturer...you need to realize you need MS regardless of if you like them. MS is the reason the ps4 is more powerful and cheaper and you didn't get that shitty DRM MS first tried with the console. If playstation was the only next gen system things would be a lot worse than what the original idea for xbox one was as well as the next console would barely be better. You think MS/Xbox are the only greedy companies but Sony is just as greedy, just look at their TVs, imagine that with consoles...subpar product for an over the top price. Guarantee without MS botching E3 2013 a lot of the same systems would be in place for the PS4 as well as price.
    Last edited by valliant13; 2014-02-17 at 02:48 PM.

What war ? it was a cakewalk for playstation all along. Not saying a playstation got anything on a computer tho. Lesser of 2 evils. Pc master race

10+ Year Old Account
    If losing means selling less consoles and having inferior hardware, yes it is losing.

I would like to point out that the XBox One putting games out in lower resolution also only matters if you actually have a 1080p tv. People with a 32" or smaller tv most likely only have a 720p display.

Both have one problem neither going say to fact sure, neither play older game what so ever is big downfall. so i'm not going buy such a wastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    those aren´t reasons (see bold). the only really major reason is simply the exclusives
    He does have a point towards ease of use.

For times when things don't work right of the bat as they do on a console with a game it can involve more than simply double clicking an executable for your average computer noob.

Anyone that buys a console for graphical fidelity is doing it wrong though.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Sony designed PS4 with games in mind, not cable tv. It was pretty obvious for anyone who isn't xbox fanboy from start.
    This. Not to mention that Sony, unlike Microsoft, aren't greedy fucks. Remember the restrictions that were gonna come with the xone? Imagine if that stayed how many sales would've Microsoft made. But as always, PC Wins!

I guess I'm really not shocked to hear this.

After the "always online thing" and the xbox having to check in as well as the attempt to kill physical media discs stopping or massively hindering any resale of old games, it's no wonder it's selling less.

People know the direction Xbox1 wants to head and are not supportive of it. Then you have the price difference with hardware few really want on top of the rest and that lead gamers to go elsewhere.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-02-17 at 03:05 PM.