Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Gladiator mounts should be purchasable

Gladiator mounts should be purchasable. Not the current mount or even the one before that, but any others should be fair game.

I am sure plenty of people are about to unload on me for even stating this but just listen to my point first.

There are hardcore PVP players and there are hardcore PVE players. Both groups have their own mounts to display their skill level. The difference is that a PVP player w/ no raid skills can pug old raids and dungeons for meta-achievement mounts; the exceptions of Kor'kron War Wolf and the mounts that Blizz removed from the game (the original ZA bear, plague & black drake, and horses from TotGC - all of these Blizz later stated they regretted removing them.) Many of these meta-achievement mounts can be soloed or completed w a small group of inexperienced players. Even the Ashes of Al'ar can now be obtained by almost any decent geared PVE or PVP player through soloing.

But there is no way that the PVP mounts can ever go to a PVEer or anyone who isn't hardcore PVP. The plague drake and the black drake have even popped up on the BMAH but no gladiator mount has.

What I would like to see is that older gladiator mounts become purchasable for like 25k conquest points each, if not more. Doing this would build interest in pvp for those who did not have it before and give an added reward to those who pvp all the time but may not have certain mounts. By blocking off the previous 2-3 gladiator mounts, it allows the mount to remain a status of skill for about the length that pve meta-mount represents the current skill level.

No one is clinging to their Reins of the Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher that they received from Glory of the Icecrown Raider, their Red Proto-Drake from Wrath Dungeon Hero, or their Rusted Proto-Drake they got from Glory of the Ulduar Raider as a testament of their PVE skill, why should Gladiator mounts from the same era be any different?

I would rather they just made meta drakes unavailable after the current tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    NightHaawk rolls a 2 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: HA HA HA HA
    Chikko rolls a 1 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: FFFUUUUU

There are already exclusive mounts. If you haven't killed Garrosh on normal by WoD, you won't be able to get the wolf mount. The wolf mount is the same as the vicious mount from winning 100 3v3 matches. Gladiator mounts should not be purchasable, let them first become account-wide, before you even think about making them purchasable.

Edit: The reason because people aren't clinging to their Reins of the X raider, is because they were puggable back in WotLK already. Let alone two expansions later. If they weren't so easy to get, maybe people would take more pride in flying around on them. Don't make gladiator mounts easy to get because PvE mounts are easy to get, do it the other way around.
    Last edited by Seditian; 2014-02-18 at 11:29 AM.

Old glory mounts could be compared to the viscous saddle, where any PvE player can pug some RBGs or grab some mates and win some 3s at low MMR and get themselves a mount that way. Gladiator mounts are more similar to realm first only mounts like Crusaders White Warhorse.
    There simply isn't enough top guild exclusive mounts on PvE side compared to top team PvP mounts, but there sure as hell are a tonne more rubbish/common mounts for anyone in PvE than there is in PvP. That's the only difference and blizz should work towards balancing this. Having mounts for X amount of conquest points as you suggested would be a great idea, but no way in hell should you be able to buy gladiator mounts from the BMAH.

There's quite a lot more content PvE wise than PvP and it's only natural that there are more rewards available. I don't play PvP to have all the same rewards that a PvEer can just buy with gold. You could argue that PvPers are able to re-visit old raid content for mounts but that's exactly why the drop rate is lowered from 100% to 1% on mounts like invincible etc.
    Blizzard could remove legacy mounts from old content, or even old content altogether but that would cause more problems than it would solve. (I farmed the original zulian tiger for 4 years and quit for a long time out of frustration that it was removed).

I'm going to be as bold as to say that 100% of people playing WoW that are capable of achieving Gladiator mounts from arena are more than capable of playing high end PvE to the point where they'd get those mounts anyway. The same can't be said for the majority of PvEers, who lack the affinity to ever be good enough to achieve a gladiator mount

Deleted
    Yeah you know what, how about no.

I did note the wolf you get from killing Garrosh.

But even with that, all you need to do is kill him on normal before WoD.
    There will be so many pugs between now and then that will pick up anyone especially in the new pvp gear which is higher ilevel than flex. You don't have to do any meta-achieves or kill him on heroic, just 1 kill on normal. That is hardly a mount that is out of the reach of a PVP player before the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell if the people that make these threads are trolling and trying to get people to "agree with them" to prove some sort of stinted point about the perceived "degradation of the WoW player base," or if they actually mean this, because I see "let's put X Y Z in the store, yeahyeah?" type threads pop up once or twice every few days... To which people almost unanimously disagree with them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    We once had a family at blizzard that cared about community and quality not money.

People like you drove this game into the ground, and the irony is that real players that don`t care about epics or free stuff would have played for 10 more years while your sort would have quit 1/2 years from now just cause..

Ofc someone wants the last thing in the game you can give props to someone for having.

Deleted
    I think they'd lose their charm if they weren't as rare as they are now.

I have an S2 Glad mount, all I can say is, if they did something like this I would probably never return. I don't agree with everything becoming available and being re-introduced. I believe you *should* be able to be a "special snowflake" and want exclusive items and titles and achievements to show that you conquered x raid tier or x PvP season when it was relevant. SMH.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do hate the mounts that end up unobtainable. Mainly the ones from RNG (ZG tiger, grrr, just because the RNG gods hate me I can never have the chance to get it again). Mounts from pvp, though, are meant to be a prestige thing. If anything they ought to be attached to an achievement in game that is only available after a similar time sink as farming prior raid tier achievements for the meta mount.

But I generally hate things that are geared towards pleasing the "you should have been there" snowflakes. Then again, it is relatively easy to just ignore them.

On the whole, I would be against allowing them to be purchased. They're meant to be earned, and giving them away for any price completely devalues them.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
    Gladiator mounts should be purchasable. Not the current mount or even the one before that, but any others should be fair game.

I am sure plenty of people are about to unload on me for even stating this but just listen to my point first.

There are hardcore PVP players and there are hardcore PVE players. Both groups have their own mounts to display their skill level. The difference is that a PVP player w/ no raid skills can pug old raids and dungeons for meta-achievement mounts; the exceptions of Kor'kron War Wolf and the mounts that Blizz removed from the game (the original ZA bear, plague & black drake, and horses from TotGC - all of these Blizz later stated they regretted removing them.) Many of these meta-achievement mounts can be soloed or completed w a small group of inexperienced players. Even the Ashes of Al'ar can now be obtained by almost any decent geared PVE or PVP player through soloing.

But there is no way that the PVP mounts can ever go to a PVEer or anyone who isn't hardcore PVP. The plague drake and the black drake have even popped up on the BMAH but no gladiator mount has.

What I would like to see is that older gladiator mounts become purchasable for like 25k conquest points each, if not more. Doing this would build interest in pvp for those who did not have it before and give an added reward to those who pvp all the time but may not have certain mounts. By blocking off the previous 2-3 gladiator mounts, it allows the mount to remain a status of skill for about the length that pve meta-mount represents the current skill level.

No one is clinging to their Reins of the Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher that they received from Glory of the Icecrown Raider, their Red Proto-Drake from Wrath Dungeon Hero, or their Rusted Proto-Drake they got from Glory of the Ulduar Raider as a testament of their PVE skill, why should Gladiator mounts from the same era be any different?
    how am I supposed to know if hes able to play his class? hes riding a gladi mount
    if every pve joe is able to ride one there wouldn't be any point, since pve joe cant play pvp but pvp hank can pve with one thumb
    and seriously removing any rpg aspects/distinctions between chars of the game any further wouldnt help the game

Deleted
    Just no. Any mount that requires a certain amount of effort to obtain (PvP/PvE) should not also be available for purchase. It just devalues the accomplishment.

Regarding PvE mounts, in this case the one that drops form heroic Garrosh, I like a model whereby it's a guaranteed drop when current, but drops down to say a 0.1% chance once the next expansion is out.

People will still farm it and can get it if they really like the model, but it stops everyone getting it for 'free' once the place is soloable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pvpganking View Post
    since pve joe cant play pvp but pvp hank can pve with one thumb
    I PvE but did some BG's whilst eating cake yesterday. PvP is boring and too easy, anyone can do it.

Stupid arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    I have an S2 Glad mount, all I can say is, if they did something like this I would probably never return. I don't agree with everything becoming available and being re-introduced. I believe you *should* be able to be a "special snowflake" and want exclusive items and titles and achievements to show that you conquered x raid tier or x PvP season when it was relevant. SMH.
    S2 Glad high-five! We did it(years ago!)!

glad mounts are rare and show a level of skill compared to pve mounts.

No please don't make the mounts I've seen 5-10 total (all Gladiator mounts) in game more common. Seriously what's the point of those mounts and all the work that went into them when you basically never see one?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    We once had a family at blizzard that cared about community and quality not money.

People like you drove this game into the ground, and the irony is that real players that don`t care about epics or free stuff would have played for 10 more years while your sort would have quit 1/2 years from now just cause..
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    No please don't make the mounts I've seen 5-10 total (all Gladiator mounts) in game more common. Seriously what's the point of those mounts and all the work that went into them when you basically never see one?
    Change to a better PvP server. Also, Blizzard should make them account-wide, there's loads of people who have gladiator mounts but moved on to another class, race or faction (including me).

Deleted
    I PvE but did some BG's whilst eating cake yesterday. PvP is boring and too easy, anyone can do it.

Stupid arguments.
    wow you must be some top pve raider if your so good, your probably playing hunter or shaman, I guess