Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Thumbs down Guild Perks Backfired! Make baseline?

I think the Guild Perks backfired because;

What is the point of Guild Perks if they do not amplify a community (guild) in a social game?
    For the majority, Guild is = perks, no longer a community to find equal players to socialize with.

So in the end, more guilds that are less social in a social game, for the sake of perks (+ gold income for some, through a guild perk)

My suggestion would be, why not just make all the Guild Perks baseline for a character with or without a guild.
    Every guild has all the perks if it's been around for long. If not, those people wanting those perks just join a perk guild.

So what does it really do in the end? I would say it backfired.

Guild reinforcements should be to make things better for the guild community.
    It would be enough to have 1 function that would be gold income to the guild vault for repairs,
    the rest could be player bonuses baselined instead of perks for guild.

Am I the only one who feels people become more self-centering and little troublesome about the guild they're in, it's more important and easier choice to just be in a guild for perks? What if guild perks are baseline for a guildless player, what would that player choose to do? Would it be easier for the rest of us to find a good community without looking through 1000 very little social guilds that are there for one thing, the perks or for gold income by members?
    Last edited by SwizzleTweets; 2014-02-18 at 11:25 AM.

I definitely preferred guilds before the perks.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I thought the perks were a lot of fun. It was great to celebrate as we reached each level.

If you join a guild specifically for the perks, then you completely missed the point. Guild perks did not backfire at all. Some people don't use them the right way, then complain.

And finding a good guild was never easy, even way before perks.

The point is, there are many more guilds now (that have the agenda of collecting people for gold income for the few selected players).

Now how does that make this easier for newly level 1 guild that has the best intentions of finding social people to make a good community with?

Most people's priority is best stats, best XP, so why would anyone give you the CHANCE? :|
    Even the nice new players doesn't grasp what a guild means anymore.

New players think it's about perks and getting a auto invite to a guild is normal and they end up staying there, then after a week, suddenly everyone left and their guild master gave you the guild master and it's a level 17 guild you can't quit from.

Great 1st time experience for new players of the MMO genre or in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I thought the perks were a lot of fun. It was great to celebrate as we reached each level.
    Let guilds have their achievements with rewards to the members that was already there, be rewarded.
    Then if they joined after, then the guild would do this achievements again in order for the other member to get the reward, then at least it would be contributing the guild to participate in playing with each other and doing things with each other and be rewarded for it.

Rather than being invited, do quests alone, oh I got a new guild mount and new guild pet, *learn* goodbye.

The whole level 1-25 guild isn't good idea.

Should just been Guild (stop) and guild achievements with guild rewards by doing those achievements.

I don't think they backfired initially, I'm just not sure they do much for the game anymore. I think this probably why you haven't seen them expand on the system any at all. If anything they could remove all of the perks except the gold earning parts, the rez and guild bank and I'm not sure anyone would notice all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I don't think they backfired initially, I'm just not sure they do much for the game anymore. I think this probably why you haven't seen them expand on the system any at all. If anything they could remove all of the perks except the gold earning parts, the rez and guild bank and I'm not sure anyone would notice all that much.
    They might as well give the Mass Resurrection to all players, with or without a guild, does it matter?
    I don't think the game becomes unfair or unabalanced if a player without a guild can Mass Resurrect compare with someone in a guild?

I remember a time being able to resurrect someone was special, it felt like part of the healer's task.

Guild perks are not intended to "make it easier for the new lvl 1 guild". They are there to reward people working together. It does make it a little more difficult for a new guild, but it's not like reaching max level is a huge mountain to overcome that takes 5 years. Work on finding people who want to help the guild, then focus on leveling it. If people refuse to join the guild due to levels, then they are not worth having in your guild anyways.

As for new players - if they enjoy being in the "perk guild", them that's cool. I they want to leave - no one is stopping them.

Quote Originally Posted by SwizzleTweets View Post
    They might as well give the Mass Resurrection to all players, with or without a guild, does it matter?
    I don't think the game becomes unfair or unabalanced if a player without a guild can Mass Resurrect compare with someone in a guild?

I remember a time being able to resurrect someone was special, it felt like part of the healer's task.
    Frankly I'm fine with them removing it or just giving healers an AOE rez. Like I said I'm not sure the system brings much to the game anymore, and I think if it wasn't for them having to spend time on it when they don't really want to they would of probably already removed most if not all of it. At this point its not even really a perk, its just part of normal game play.

Guild perks forced me to be in a guild and put guild chat in separate tab I never open. Before Guild Perks I was guildless for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

15+ Year Old Account
    The point is, there are many more guilds now (that have the agenda of collecting people for gold income for the few selected players).

Now how does that make this easier for newly level 1 guild that has the best intentions of finding social people to make a good community with?

Most people's priority is best stats, best XP, so why would anyone give you the CHANCE? :|
    Even the nice new players doesn't grasp what a guild means anymore.

New players think it's about perks and getting a auto invite to a guild is normal and they end up staying there, then after a week, suddenly everyone left and their guild master gave you the guild master and it's a level 17 guild you can't quit from.

Great 1st time experience for new players of the MMO genre or in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Let guilds have their achievements with rewards to the members that was already there, be rewarded.
    Then if they joined after, then the guild would do this achievements again in order for the other member to get the reward, then at least it would be contributing the guild to participate in playing with each other and doing things with each other and be rewarded for it.

Rather than being invited, do quests alone, oh I got a new guild mount and new guild pet, *learn* goodbye.

The whole level 1-25 guild isn't good idea.

Should just been Guild (stop) and guild achievements with guild rewards by doing those achievements.
    If you stop and think about your questions, the answers will come to you:

You say that a new guild can't recruit players because there are too many greedy guilds gobbling up players just for gold perks...but what is the purpose of that new guild? if you are a max level player with raiding experience, don't start a new guild by yourself and expect to recruit 9-24 people that want to raid; instead, find a few people that you like to form a foundation, and trust me because I know from experience, you will get people to join and you will find the right people as you go, but it doesn't happen overnight.

If a new player auto joins a guild, what do they know about perks anyway? How can they miss what they've never had? They can see what is available, sure, and move if they like, but it doesn't really hurt them all that much. When I was new, granted back in vanilla, but I joined a few guilds that turned out to be one or two people with a lot of alts. Eventually you find your way.

I like the perks, and don't really see a need to change the system, but I do think you should have to earn rep with your new guild if you leave your old one.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Well, I think the problem lies solely within "Money flow".

We also were bored in our guild, and decided to level chars on another realm last week. Obviously at first we joined a level 25 guild.
    But we were enough people to found a new guild, and started leveling it. Everything would be fine and as it should be - friends together in a guild.
    But then we realized, we could use one of the guild-invite addons to simply invite everyone who was guildless to make gold for us. Not doing so we be dumb, since it is a win-win for everyone - we get money and guild xp, they get guild perks they would not have otherwise. Most would reject at low guild levels, but as the guild level increased more and more would accept.

So right now we have 200 players in our now level 15 guild, growing every day. The income we make is being distributed between us friends.

If this money perk would not exist, we never would have invited them and simply would be such a "social alt guild" as you have described.

Frankly I'd prefer to be guild less, the perks in cata were to good though, specifically have group will travel.

Nowadays not having mass rez is nigh inexcusable.

We're being forced into guilds for all the wrong reasons.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The perks are nice, definitely, but not essential. You can easily go without them.

(And honestly, any guild I see advertising citing perks as a reason to join is a guild I dismiss out of hand as being essentially worthless.)

10+ Year Old Account
    the thought of people turning off the guild chat.. just because they dont care and only want perks scares the shit out of me.. i want too be social in a guild but.. most people dont care and just wanna rush rush lvl, and dont care for the chat

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Frankly I'd prefer to be guild less, the perks in cata were to good though, specifically have group will travel.

Nothing is stopping you from joining a guild for the right reasons. You just made a decision that you would rather not put the effort in.

I think the Guild Perks backfired because;

What is the point of Guild Perks if they do not amplify a community (guild) in a social game?
    For the majority, Guild is = perks, no longer a community to find equal players to socialize with.

So in the end, more guilds that are less social in a social game, for the sake of perks (+ gold income for some, through a guild perk)

My suggestion would be, why not just make all the Guild Perks baseline for a character with or without a guild.
    Every guild has all the perks if it's been around for long. If not, those people wanting those perks just join a perk guild.

So what does it really do in the end? I would say it backfired.

Guild reinforcements should be to make things better for the guild community.
    It would be enough to have 1 function that would be gold income to the guild vault for repairs,
    the rest could be player bonuses baselined instead of perks for guild.

Am I the only one who feels people become more self-centering and little troublesome about the guild they're in, it's more important and easier choice to just be in a guild for perks? What if guild perks are baseline for a guildless player, what would that player choose to do? Would it be easier for the rest of us to find a good community without looking through 1000 very little social guilds that are there for one thing, the perks or for gold income by members?
    "This thing Blizzard implemented over 3 years ago backfired."
    You're being a bit delusional. It was never intended to bring community together, who cares about that? If you're in a zerg guild full of random people where nobody knows each other, you're there for the same reason everybody else is - perks. While the same perks are there for guilds who actually know each other too.
    If you thought it was a problem why didn't you speak up about it years ago? The only real issue is that if you leave your guild (why would you?) that your rep is depleted (which makes sense) and if you join a new guild it has less benefits because it might not be as active or old. That can be easily remedied by not being a random ADD guild hopper by learning to make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

I don't really have a problem with players being forced into guilds, it is an MMO and a social game at its core. I will agree though that the reason people are getting into certain guilds are for the wrong reasons. You should be in a guild because you like the people or you have a common interest. Right now all that matters is your guild level for the most part and if you don't have it you far less likely to get players.

Deleted
    perks are too strong and all of them should only be active if your in a group with one of your guild mates

Guilds before the perks were just rosters. If guilds were to revert I would see a reason why people would be guildless. I don't get why people aren't in a guild now, frankly I'm getting sick of asking guildless peopel to join my guild. Because they just want to be guildless, but the perks are worth it at least. Mass res, more JP and Honor, hearth cloaks. I really don't understand why someone would be guildless unless you're an anti social weirdo or a noob.
    Last edited by Goretex; 2014-02-18 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    If you stop and think about your questions, the answers will come to you:

You say that a new guild can't recruit players because there are too many greedy guilds gobbling up players just for gold perks...but what is the purpose of that new guild? if you are a max level player with raiding experience, don't start a new guild by yourself and expect to recruit 9-24 people that want to raid; instead, find a few people that you like to form a foundation, and trust me because I know from experience, you will get people to join and you will find the right people as you go, but it doesn't happen overnight.

If a new player auto joins a guild, what do they know about perks anyway? How can they miss what they've never had? They can see what is available, sure, and move if they like, but it doesn't really hurt them all that much. When I was new, granted back in vanilla, but I joined a few guilds that turned out to be one or two people with a lot of alts. Eventually you find your way.

I like the perks, and don't really see a need to change the system, but I do think you should have to earn rep with your new guild if you leave your old one.
    Thing is that new players kinda get immediately 'funnelled' into these guild perk guilds. You say yourself "how can they miss what they never had"; how can they know what a 'proper' guild is like if their only experience is of being a cog in someones silent money making machine?

Most of the perks are so passive I wouldn't miss them, but Mass Ress is almost mandatory. To be honest, you can drop the leveling system and most of those perks; the guild achievement system though does a good job of rewarding the guild for working as a team and is probably the aspect that deserves expanding on.