Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Demo] Blizz doesn't balance around class specs...

... But, indeed, around other specs.

Demonology only looks underpowered compared to Affliction/Destruction. That's not grounds for a buff.
    - Celestalon

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened, where one spec doesn't perform quite as well as the class' other specs. But I don't remember them using this rhetoric before.

When the community perceives as spec as weak (even if it's not) then no one plays it. If demo is fine, why aren't they doing better to clarify this? They could at least say the spec is simply gear dependent or something =/

Personally, I play demo when I want to and do about the same as I do with other specs. I'm also only doing flex though at the moment, so there's that.

Anyway,

/discuss?

all he meant was that they acknowledge destro and affliction are out of control and it would only make a bad problem worse to bump demo up to their crazy overpowered levels.

demo is fine in the context of other classes, destruction and affliction need a swift nerf to the face

10+ Year Old Account
    Already discussed a lot

I don't see how it makes a "bad situation worse" by bringing a spec up to just do what the player could do in another spec anyway. I agree Dest/Aff could use a nerf, but we already know they won't do that in case it hurts their guild's progress. Surely by that logic though, playing Demo is hurting your guild's progress through "self nerfing". :s Or else the argument goes that it's not damage that's the issue but the play; in which case, where's the harm in nerfing Dest/Aff?

I just want to see the specs more in line; they accept there's disparity so the onus is on them to fix it. Really not bothered how.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2014-02-18 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Already discussed a lot

I don't see how it makes a "bad situation worse" by bring a spec up to just do what the player could do in another spec anyway. I agree Dest/Aff could use a nerf, but we already know they won't do that in case it hurts their guild's progress. Surely by that logic though, playing Demo is hurting your guild's progress. :s
    Ahh I knew I was reading about this before just forgot thread title. Well mods can lock then.

And nah, I don't raid with guild yet. We're all recent resubs and mostly waiting for everyone to come back/start over in WoD.

Are there any hard numbers for demo's "inferiority" btw?

Again, flex, but I don't see too much of a difference here...

Well I look at it like this, since there is a huge underrepresentation of Demo locks you can't really look at logs or raidbots to come up with a proper comparison, and SimCraft isn't the best tool to compare spec DPS so your only realistic option is so switch off-specs and test the spec out for yourself. However if you use your off-spec for progression then it is pretty illogical to switch during progression, especially given the inferior numbers being represented by Demo (skewed as they may be).

In other words, no there aren't any hard numbers for Demo's inferiority other than the massively misrepresented logs. However there is also no practical reason to switch to a seemingly inferior spec during progression when the other two specs are producing such increasingly inflated numbers.

The thing is you cant nerf destro or affliction because it will only hurt those two specs in arena even more. Neither of them shine in PvP so I would hope blizzard wouldn't nerf them... But this is blizzard we are talking about.

I played demo one week up until Siegecrafter. I have ~579 ilvl and the damage was..subpar.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-l11lev9nz4bf1b9t/

I'm not saying I played great - I'm not even saying I played well. Some fights are just terrible on the mechanics of demo (LOOKING AT YOU, SPOILS!).

There are plenty of changes that could be done to improve pvp for all 3 specs that would be pve neutral but it just isn't on blizz radar. Even if the changes would be minimal time/resource sink's. They have tunnel vision for WoD projects even if we do have 6-9 months more of MoP. I'm with Jessicka in that there is no harm in making demo on par with what is the norm already. Especially since the skill cap for demo is much higher than its counterparts. They can't touch aff/dest without mucking up guild progression so really its just a case of them being willing to take the time.

However, "fixing" shaman farsight and other such burning topics must come first...

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha yes, Legion Strike falling off was clearly the major issue befalling the spec, which is why it is so under represented in both PvP and PvE.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not that it makes it right, but imagine the sea of tears if they bumped Demo up to Aff/Destro levels while some specs continue to languish. If they were to make all three specs equal it would likely be Aff and Destro getting hammered down to Demo's level than the other way around.

I wonder if they're able to make changes to legion strike (lol) why can't they do a numbers pass for demo...or any under performing spec. They did it for DKs and they're fine now (afaik).

Demo is "fine," also, but as discussed in Jess's thread, not really in relation to our other specs.

Buffing fury gen for all spells (esp corruption, since its damage is weak as shit) would do wonders.

10+ Year Old Account
    The blizzard balance machine still moves too slowly. I know they talk allot about not wanting to mix things up too often for fear of confusing players but give us more credit then that and just properly balance the game on a schedule faster then once every 4 months.

I wonder if they will cut another pre-expansion event in the name of "it will take developer time away from new content". When the only thing that matters is releasing new content for players to consume then balancing/maintaining the old stuff takes a seat by the wayside.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Deleted
    That's the stupidest thing I have ever read coming from a Blizzard employee.
    Spec balance is so much more important than class balance.
    If warlock was weak, people would still play warlock.
    As demo is weak, no one plays demo.

But the worst thing is that destro is also simpler and offers far more survability.

I'm still playing demo on my warlock for progression/farm and I'm doing just fine imo, but yeah compared to affliction and destro, demo is a little behind for sure. Still fun to play!

Demo is balanced and they don't want to nerf Destro/Affli to ruin progress for people. It's too late for major changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would not cause any (further) CLASS imbalance issues if they buffed demo to destro/affli level. It would, however, balance the SPECS. Where's the harm in that?

do you guys seriously not understand how absurd it is to ask blizzard to take time out of their day to make demo OP just because you already have 2 OP specs but would rather RP as illidan in seige of orgrimmar or some shit?

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    do you guys seriously not understand how absurd it is to ask blizzard to take time out of their day to make demo OP just because you already have 2 OP specs but would rather RP as illidan in seige of orgrimmar or some shit?

Deleted
    According to Noxxic dps rankings, Demo ain't bad at all. For most gear levels (if not all) it is actually estimated to do more damage than affliction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    According to Noxxic dps rankings, Demo ain't bad at all. For most gear levels (if not all) it is actually estimated to do more damage than affliction.
    Yep yep, and according to those rankings Frost Mages are OP as heck, too.