Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im surprised nobody has mentioned the legendary cloak questline yet. It really is a worthwhile questline to do, and if you resub now you'll be able to get your cloak before WoD. Its also worth resubbing for the Korkron War Wolf, which wont be available in WoD. Get some raiding experience under your belt NOW or you'll be stuck running flex in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I am having an impossible time finding a group to do end game with.
    You are wrong. There's absolutely tons of people to play with. Try transferring to a different realm if you don't like yours.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    Im surprised nobody has mentioned the legendary cloak questline yet. It really is a worthwhile questline to do, and if you resub now you'll be able to get your cloak before WoD.
    The only way someone who is just now leveling to 90 will see that cloak before WoD drops is if they power through to 90 in only a few days, then push every single LFR available to them, week in and week out, for the next several months in order to maximize the amount of drops they get for the quest line. Not to mention rep grinding and the PVP chain.

In other words, the legendary cloak is no longer a selling point. For a resub who isn't 90 to get it now would require busting ass for several hours a day, every day, for months just for an item that they will get just as it becomes no longer relevant. That's lunacy.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    Get some raiding experience under your belt NOW or you'll be stuck running flex in WoD.
    What kind of ridiculous logic is this? Come back and "get some raiding experience" when the entire raid system is being upended next expansion? If anything, this should be another point to stay away. Flex, Normal and Heroic raiding, as we know it currently, is completely changing. Why should someone come back now and get used to this system when it's on its way out?
    Last edited by Captiosus; 2014-02-18 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Dont play>at all.
    I have unsub 1 week ago and the best thing i could do talking about gaming experience.

Leveling up is the worse thing right now.. 1 talent every 15 lvls...and classes like mage ...some other they spamm frostbolt until 90 and that's all..
    Simply leveling is like you do no progress at all...(O yes 15 dmg + every lvl up...your making.)

Raiding ?
    You have Lfr...Flex...Normal...and heroic...once you will want to do Heroic your gonna be so bored ....that your gonna end up...f this..

Pet battles???? I prefer pokemon...

Pvp is the worst thing you could encounter with the amazing people using bots showing how awfull has become.
    And ofc nothing else..

What else? Explore the world?...mpla mpla..
    or The worse is Dungeon.~~~5 dungeon and ..ok gg>No talking about the low quality they have ~
    Low quality is that you spend like 3/4 minutes in order to complete them..(Ofc is the current gear )Sight they didn't do any improvement...

Just wait for Wod~(Outland copy)..

Deleted
    I'd say go for it. If you have any contacts (old guildies, in-game friends and the like) use them, so you can mostly skip LFR and get carried through flex to catch up. Pandaria is quite fun, there are challenges to be had (in solo content, dungeon Challenge Modes, raiding or whatever). SoO is generally considered a good raid, it has lots of bosses, ok mechanics and is well-tuned. If you resub now and take it easy, chances are you can play the game at your pace without burning out before WoD.

Good luck, and if you come back, just know that you're going to have to work a lot harder to find a good guild.
    If you are not in a dead realm (medium = dead), you might progress to normal (or pug a lot of it) and be much more likely to enroll in a fixed group. That along with knowing people you will be likely to find around another time.

Being in a crowded realm, IMO, is a huge quality-of-life improvement and almost mandatory if you like raiding or are a experienced player. It's not about "having progression" or "being competitive", it's about worrying less, waiting less and enjoying more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just come play on a private vanilla realm, the retail game right now is utter shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrueger View Post
    If you are not in a dead realm (medium = dead), you might progress to normal (or pug a lot of it) and be much more likely to enroll in a fixed group.

Being in a crowded realm, IMO, is a huge quality-of-life improvement and almost mandatory if you like raiding or are a experienced player. It's not about "having progression" or "being competitive", it's about worrying less, waiting less and enjoying more.
    This. At the start of ToT I moved with my small guild from a moribund shithole of a server to Draenor (which is basically as populous as it gets). Almost everything is better - recruitment, economy, PUGs, PVP, you name it. Simply having enough people to do whatever it is you want to do makes an incredible difference.

The only thing I miss is the fact that on my old realm we all knew each other, like the inhabitants of a small village, and now most everyone is anonymous/gets lost in the crowd. I pop back to my old realm to chat with the last few remaining ppl when the nostalgia hits me.

Just come play on a private vanilla realm, the retail game right now is utter shit.
    That's simply bs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    That's simply bs.
    Oh really?

The guy liked TBC and didn't like anything after it. Suggesting a private realm at this point would be more suitable than saying the game has improved in any way lately. I cba to name one though since linking one would get one banned here.

- leveling is destroyed, boring as hell, you are in godmode, 5 quests and the zone is green already, atmosphere destroyed because of 'new' music/graphics/building design (Silverpine comes to mind; dark atmosphere of the lake, corpse in the ferry and SFK has been obliterated).

- If he is indeed coming from TBC: Raiding is boring as hell, no farming needed outside of raids, almost no potusage in raid, 6+ items per boss so you gear in notime, horrible gear design so getting a great robe or staff is actually boring as well since it looks like poo. It's all instant now; they think you have to win an epic every few days in order to keep people hooked on the game, while actually working for items and recieving staff of shadowflame after 2 months of BWL was a way better feeling.

- Cash shit is incoming, see the anounced 60 Euro lvl 90s today, it will get worse so why return at this point

- Realcommunity is gone, enjoy sitting in orgrimmar all day waiting for a queue to pop while knowing absolutely noone around you, since it's become an individualist queue game with non-personalised bots aka other players you queue with who leave after 1 wipe. This is actually what I notice the most playing on a private realm now, I actually know almost everyone on my realm again (And no, it has a pop of 3k+), I actually recognize if I meet a horde herbing, the world feels so much more alive.

EtcEtcEtc.

I guess the only reason to still be playing is if you were in a top5 guild, since a pvt realm can never get that feeling of a proper race for world firsts again obviously, with bosses that everyone already knows. I experienced this race in TBC myself and they are indeed the best times you can have in any game.

When is the last time you were actually were so happy you killed a boss you took the time for a screenshot? A few weeks ago I heard screams again for the first time in years after we killed Chromaggus, since we actually had to work for our kill together farming pots etc outside of raids..........

w/e you do, don't bother with this blizzard cashgrab retail has become.

I still remember our Garrosh kill of a few months back, 'finally, pffff' was the vibe I got from TS instead of happyness, what a drag.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captiosus View Post

2a. Also consider that if you get to 90 and try to run heroics, you're not going to even remotely have any degree of fun because everyone will so overgear them that you won't even get a skill off before the tank is two pulls ahead of you. Or even pulling the entire room to the boss.

well, if you use RDF while leveling, you're already dead sick of the dungeons anyway. by the time i get to 90, my characters have been through them all 3-4 times and i love the fast heroic zergs (there's no differences between the heroic and regular versions). and unless you get a random 90 in your regular runs while leveling, there's no way you're blowing through them quickly.

Yeah, but unless he maintained his contacts through all that time away (and they're still around), it seems virtually impossible to get in with anyone willing to give you a shot...unless you're already geared and can link your achievements.

It's weird going from being a realm first raider on a high pop realm, coming back after a long time away, and being virtually useless to anyone. Yeah, the gear is gone, but what happened to investing in good people? We've all been downgraded from a human being to a stat monkey. If you don't have the stats, you're useless.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am having an impossible time finding a group to do end game with.
    You're somewhat wrong. Yes, pugs ask for an inflated item level for the content they're trying to clear. But especially since Heroic raiding will become 20-man only, a lot of 10-man raiding guilds are looking for recruits. I personally got into a 7/14HC guild with only 515 item level three weeks ago. It's really not hard, especially since a realm-first raider can just link those achievements and it would seriously surprise me if a current HC raiding guild would outright say no to your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiosus View Post
    Agreed. Coming back now is sheer foolishness.

1. It's the end of the expansion and despite the latest numbers (which people seem to ignore include the holiday bump) people are going to be dropping like flies due to attrition.

2. It's also the time of the expansion when people are most angsty towards returning players; "What, you mean you haven't done these heroics a million times? Vote to kick this noob!". Now also add the same level of vitriol in LFR and Flex raiding modes.

2a. Also consider that if you get to 90 and try to run heroics, you're not going to even remotely have any degree of fun because everyone will so overgear them that you won't even get a skill off before the tank is two pulls ahead of you. Or even pulling the entire room to the boss.

3. The story has been completely altered by all of the previous content patches to the point where it isn't nearly as impactful as it was earlier in the lifespan of the expansion. The Vale gates opening post-5.4 is a great example; The quest is still the same but the dialog has changed, completely losing its meaning from the original story line and almost makes no sense for a fresh, new-to-pandaria, player/character.

4. When you reach 90, you're going to realize that you're doing everything solo and you're so far behind the curve that your only solution is to KEEP doing things solo. Solo Timeless Isle grinding. Solo Heroic dungeon and LFR queues for gear and valor. Solo BGs for honor.

Coming back now would be a waste of money and time. You've waited this long, you're better off following the development of WoD and saving your money for now. If WoD appeals to you, come back shortly (like a week or two) before it drops to get your characters and game client in order and then use your 90 boost to get right into WoD's content to be on the same plane as everyone else.
    On the other hand: you can experience a full expansion and once you're done, you can almost instantly jump into the next expansion. That's what got me back into the game, Warlords of Draenor looked (and still does) very interesting at Blizzcon and I decided to jump back into WoW after a three year break (I quit about three weeks after Cataclysm launched).

I am now experiencing loads of current content that wouldn't be that interesting when you outlevel and outgear it. I've only played MoP for two months and I've seen a greater deal of the expansion. But unlike people who played MoP from the start, I didn't have to do SoO for a full year before the next expansion hits. I only have to wait 3-6 months. And I'm not even done with exploring everything.
    Last edited by Seditian; 2014-02-18 at 07:08 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    horrible advice. i've tried all the major ones (at least 20 different private servers, from vanilla to wrath), and they are nothing but bugs, bugs, bugs. horrible scripts, broken boss fights, broken pathing, broken spells, custom gear, server GMs that favor certain players (the big donators), and the players... oh my lord you've never seen such ineptitude. huehuehuehue, etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Oh really?
    Yeah, really. Oh well, I guess I'll bite.

- leveling is destroyed, boring as hell, you are in godmode, 5 quests and the zone is green already, atmosphere destroyed because of 'new' music/graphics/building design (Silverpine comes to mind; dark atmosphere of the lake, corpse in the ferry and SFK has been obliterated).
    I made a fresh char on a fresh realm, no looms. Lo and behold, I'm not in godmode anymore, can't chain-pull, can't just spam my attacks and mindlessly kill the larger quest mini-bosses due to them being tuned for people with looms. I agree there are some old world areas that I miss a lot and was a bit pissed at being remade, but that doesn't make them 'destroyed'.

- If he is indeed coming from TBC: Raiding is boring as hell, no farming needed outside of raids, almost no potusage in raid, 6+ items per boss so you gear in notime, horrible gear design so getting a great robe or staff is actually boring as well since it looks like poo. It's all instant now; they think you have to win an epic every few days in order to keep people hooked on the game, while actually working for items and recieving staff of shadowflame after 2 months of BWL was a way better feeling.
    "Farming outside of raids". Circling a single location over and over for 3h. Yay.

Gearing... well, you're playing ez mode 25-man. It's much less obnoxious on 10-man. If you want to grind for stuff you have the cloak to work for.

Regardless, the fun part in raiding should be... well, raiding. As in, the bosses themselves. I don't give a crap about having to collect 50 boar livers to make enough potions of nature resistance or whatever. That's not a challenge, that's a chore.

- Cash shit is incoming, see the anounced 60 Euro lvl 90s today, it will get worse so why return at this point
    Expecting some veterans and old friends to come back due to the boost to 90 feature. It's fucking awesome in my book.

- Realcommunity is gone, enjoy sitting in orgrimmar all day waiting for a queue to pop while knowing absolutely noone around you, since it's become an individualist queue game with non-personalised bots aka other players you queue with who leave after 1 wipe. This is actually what I notice the most playing on a private realm now, I actually know almost everyone on my realm again (And no, it has a pop of 3k+), I actually recognize if I meet a horde herbing, the world feels so much more alive.
    It seems on live you're playing on a shit server and in a shit guild. I'm having a blast playing with my guildies, thankyouverymuch.

When is the last time you were actually were so happy you killed a boss you took the time for a screenshot? A few weeks ago I heard screams again for the first time in years after we killed Chromaggus, since we actually had to work for our kill together farming pots etc outside of raids..........
    Thok 10 heroic with 1 player left standing. Heroic Twins with only ME left standing. Our first Elegon kill (one of the best bosses ever). You're jaded and playing with jaded people, don't make the mistake of extending this to everyone.

Also, what's with the weird fetish you seem to have with farming herbs for pots? Apex of true raiding indeed.