Thread: What boss next?

10+ Year Old Account

What boss next?

Hey guys, right now I'm really split on which boss to focus on next on heroic progress with my 10 man team.
    We'Re at 7/14 having cleared up to Nazgrim but skipped Shamans so far.

Most of the bosses we killed very quickly, Galakras we oneshot, Jugger, Nazgrim and Protectors took only a couple of tries each. The boss my team had by far the most issues with initially was Immerseus, now they oneshot it regularly. Sha of Pride still takes us 1-3 tries each week, but goes down reliably.

Our average ilvl is around 565, our DPS ranging from 350 average (myself and one other) to our lowest being around 250 average.

I'm torn between Shamans (our Warrior is gathering a tanking set so we can try for the 3 tank method, his Prot ilvl isn't even 550 yet though), Malkorok (we had a couple of tries so far, people are hating it but I think we can pull it off, we were 3healing yet still well within enrage when we usually wiped around first bloodrage due to people messing up on orbs) and Spoils (which I think looks easier than Shamans and Malkorok).

Any advice?

Deleted
    Shamans and Malkorok are much easier than spoils IMO. Focus on getting those two down first as the extra DPS you'll get from the extra gear will be needed for Spoils. I was also able to OT on Shamans on my 547 Prot Pally for a few weeks when we were changing up our roster with us only having a single healer up the hill with the two tanks so your warrior should be capable of OTing it soon assuming taunts are done right and proper CD usage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
    Shamans and Malkorok are much easier than spoils IMO. Focus on getting those two down first as the extra DPS you'll get from the extra gear will be needed for Spoils. I was also able to OT on Shamans on my 547 Prot Pally for a few weeks when we were changing up our roster with us only having a single healer up the hill with the two tanks so your warrior should be capable of OTing it soon assuming taunts are done right and proper CD usage.
    Were you doing Kardris or swapping on Haromm?

Also Spoils seems so simple to me on videos, but it may just be my impression.
    I think we'll focus on farming the 7 we got down and working on Malkorok, hoping for more drops for the Warrior until we get him down, and then look at Shamans.

For 10 man, I'd honestly do Shamans 3 tank>Malkorok>Spoils, Malkorok is easy mechanics but unforgiveable for bad execution, it's a tight damage check too at lower gear levels. Shamans isn't that harsh of a damage check, it's just about playing the game and doing mechanics, Spoils is probably the hardest out of the three because it requires your raid to split into separate teams, and execute the fight very quickly, at first it's a very high damage check.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Were you doing Kardris or swapping on Haromm?

Also Spoils seems so simple to me on videos, but it may just be my impression.
    I think we'll focus on farming the 7 we got down and working on Malkorok, hoping for more drops for the Warrior until we get him down, and then look at Shamans.
    I was swapping on Harromm. Very simple to tank even in my prot pally's crappy gear. And yeah, we thought the same thing about Spoils until we did it ourselves. It's much more difficult than it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advice, think we'll focus on Malkorok and then work on Shamans then.

Deleted
    Shamans is by far the easiest of the 3. You can leave one tank and one healer below to kite everyone (literally never kill a single ooze) and send up everyone else. Use 2 healers up top (3 total) if you have one really undergeared tank, and have all DPS just Patchwerk faceroll the boss. Once you work the basic positioning out, it's very easy.

Malkorok is probably a 2 heal fight for anyone on progress. That enrage is tighter than you think, it sneaks up on you pretty quickly once you don't have the hero burst in the first P1.

Spoils is just ... tough. It's a big DPS check, and those mini-bosses in each room really, really hurt (450k+ room wide AE's, etc). It looks very easy, but the actual execution at the required DPS is much harder than it seems. It's a pretty decent step up from Shamans or Malk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vadya View Post
    Shamans is by far the easiest of the 3. You can leave one tank and one healer below to kite everyone (literally never kill a single ooze) and send up everyone else. Use 2 healers up top (3 total) if you have one really undergeared tank, and have all DPS just Patchwerk faceroll the boss. Once you work the basic positioning out, it's very easy.

Malkorok is probably a 2 heal fight for anyone on progress. That enrage is tighter than you think, it sneaks up on you pretty quickly once you don't have the hero burst in the first P1.

Spoils is just ... tough. It's a big DPS check, and those mini-bosses in each room really, really hurt (450k+ room wide AE's, etc). It looks very easy, but the actual execution at the required DPS is much harder than it seems. It's a pretty decent step up from Shamans or Malk.
    Thx for the insights, appreciate it!

Shaman is definitely more forgiving than the other two. If you have a very skilled dk tank I strongly recommend you go 1/9 (3 tank 2 heal, could be 1 heal if one of your healers is crazy) and it's a Patchwerk fight which ends in 4 min.

Malkorok and Spoils are much less forgiving in different ways. Spoils is by far easier on mechanics but tighter on dps. Basically I told everyone this fight is nothing but a dps check. It's easy to find out. Just when you are clearing through normal try one or two times on heroic, then you'll see if your dps is enough. Malkorok doesn't change much either but extremely unforgiving, like, other fights if you made a mistake at most you die and you still got a chance to brez, but on Malkorok if you made a mistake it's pretty much a straight wipe. At this point I do recommend you to 3 heal since dps doesn't seem to be a problem, and 3 heal is much safer.
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2014-02-20 at 10:41 PM.

Shamans > Malk > spoils for us.

Shamans is ok, even f your tanks are a little undergeared. Using cd's at the right time is key if you dont have alot of gear, apart from that it's easy.

Malk is unforgiving, and the dps check is tight the first few times.

Spoils is just very tight on dps, and the bosses are a pain. I'd recommened doing spoils after.

We personally went linear, are now on the verge on killing thok, and we felt Malkorok was the first more difficult boss. Spoils is a step up from Malk I felt. Shamans felt pretty easy with 3 tanks 2 healers.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

Deleted
    Kor'kron Dark Shaman is definitely easier than Malkorok and Spoils if you're using the three tank method. Take two healers up top with Haromm to begin with and keep one healer and 4 DPS down with Kardriss. The berserk timer really isn't tight and with 565 gear you should have absolutely no problems with DPS. Take a healer with external cooldowns for the bottom group for instances where a player doesn't have a damage reduction for the Iron Prison (Disc Priests are good for this because Power Word: Shield can cover this unless it comes in conjunction with a Falling Ash).

Malkorok and Spoils require much more coordination and moderate DPS checks, whereas Dark Shaman only requires a little coordination to ensure the Toxic Storms and Iron Tombs are well placed.