Difficulty running WoW 25man, Need help clearing system

I am playing WoW 25man and during raids I have FPS lag. I have cleaned my PC but I think it's a more deep rooted issue or something I may have overlooked.
    My stats are:
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 at 2.66GHz
    8.0GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

Please do let me know what you think and any programs that may I assist.
    I am currently using CCleaner V3.26.1888 to clean old software.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's only so much you can do with such an old hardware. Did you only recently start experiencing bad performance or has it been more or less a steady slope?

A few things that might help to clean up the system;

-Do a full system scan with a virus scanner and anti-spyware programs such as Avast and SUPERAntiSpyware. Yes, both are needed since they detect different things.

-Delete all unnecessary programs you don't use (you probably did this already)

-Disable all the unnecessary programs that boot with windows. You can use CCleaner for this, there's a tab under "Tools" and "Startup" that lists all the programs and tasks that start with windows. You don't, in most cases, need any of them to auto start. However it's safer to go trough the list with google and see what each of them belongs to and disable accordingly. Things like your active virus protection or Nvidia control panel related things should be left to start at least.

-You didn't list what kind of storage drive you have but I'm assuming a HDD. Make sure you have empty space left on it and delete stuff if it's getting too full. You should have at least 10% space left, preferably more.

-I already recommended Avast antivirus earlier but if you have something else, make sure it isn't hogging too much resources. Never have more then one active antivirus since they can really slow your pc down if you use more at the same time. If you downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware as well like I recommended earlier you should only use that for scanning and disable all the active protection.

-Do a full system scan with a virus scanner and anti-spyware programs such as Avast and SUPERAntiSpyware. Yes, both are needed since they detect different things.
    I use Norton Security Suite and I have no idea which that would be considered. I think it does both?
    I have done full scans.
    -Delete all unnecessary programs you don't use (you probably did this already)
    CHECK
    -Disable all the unnecessary programs that boot with windows. You can use CCleaner for this, there's a tab under "Tools" and "Startup" that lists all the programs and tasks that start with windows. You don't, in most cases, need any of them to auto start. However it's safer to go trough the list with google and see what each of them belongs to and disable accordingly. Things like your active virus protection or Nvidia control panel related things should be left to start at least.
    CHECK
    -You didn't list what kind of storage drive you have but I'm assuming a HDD. Make sure you have empty space left on it and delete stuff if it's getting too full. You should have at least 10% space left, preferably more.
    I'm at 688GB FREE OUT OF 931 GB
    -I already recommended Avast antivirus earlier but if you have something else, make sure it isn't hogging too much resources. Never have more then one active antivirus since they can really slow your pc down if you use more at the same time. If you downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware as well like I recommended earlier you should only use that for scanning and disable all the active protection.
    This part kind of confuses me based on the fact that I am not sure what Norton would be considered as I said earlier.

I appreciate your help very much.
    Last edited by Lifebloom Area 52; 2014-02-18 at 05:06 PM.

What FPS are you expecting to see? The problem is your hardware is getting pretty dated, and on top of that the graphics card you are running is really not meant for gaming. If I had to take a guess I would expect to see between 10-15 FPS while raiding 25 man (likely with spikes below that when a bunch of effects are occurring) keep in mind this is assuming you are basically running the game on low graphics settings. If you are getting lower then that there may be something wrong a full re-install would be the best option to clean your PC (I usually completely reformat about once a year), but you will likely still be better off looking at getting new hardware, or at the very least getting a better graphics card/power supply.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifebloom Area 52 View Post
    I use Norton Security Suite and I have no idea which that would be considered. I think it does both?
    I have done full scans.
    To my understanding Norton does a bit of both yes so you should be good. However, since different software detect different things (they don't share the same databases) and not a single one of them can catch everything, you should try out something else as well to be safe. "SUPERAntiSpyware" or "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" are both good alternatives to run along with your Norton. Just make sure that whatever else you get doesn't have any active scanning enabled since that can interfere with your primary virus scanner (Norton).

I'd do the above just in case but at this point I think it's unlikely that your bad performance is malware realted (could be, you never know).

One more thing that might start slowing you down during the years is dust. If you've never taken the system apart for cleaning it's most likely filled with dust by now. It can really start screwing things up when the CPU and GPU airflow are restricted and start downclocking. It's pretty straight forwards to clean though. You can find cans of compressed air from the store, just take the sidepanel off the case and give it a good spraying (especially around and underneath the fans).

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 at 2.66GHz
    That's your main issue right there. A five year old processor at a low speed.

I use Norton Security Suite
    Probably the other half of your problem. I uninstall Norton to fix problems, more than I install it, for customers.

This part kind of confuses me based on the fact that I am not sure what Norton would be considered
    I, and most people, consider it a huge headache :P

That said... check your temperatures. If it is a problem that came up recently, it might be that. If temps are good, without upgrading, overclocking may be your best bet.

The video card, while not entirely the issue, has much to be desired.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I am running SUPERAntiSpyware right now, will update.
    Curious though, what new processor would you recommend? I don't want to blow more than $200 to be honest, I only use my computer for WoW and studies.
    My temperatures are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a little research and I see this: newegg [DOT] com/Product [FRONT SLASH] Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280
    It says the cooler is poor, so I'm wondering what would be the best procedure to make this work. I have 4 fans inside my computer already, would that cover it? Or would I need to purchase additional hardware?

If you run more than one anti virus programs it will cause massive system lag. Your main problem though is your GPU. My wife's pc has the same quad core, same amount of ram but she uses a EVGA Classified 560ti 1.2gb. She has no issues 25man raiding with all settings on HIGH/ultra. Also turn the shadow quality down, it hammers FPS
    Does Warlock Stuffz

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious though, what new processor would you recommend? I don't want to blow more than $200 to be honest, I only use my computer for WoW and studies.
    If you don't want to spend more than $200, you may be SOL. An i3-4130, Board, RAM (You need new ram too) will run 200 alone. Not including the possible necessity of a new PSU. And OS, if you're still runnning Vista/XP

I did a little research and I see this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113280
    It says the cooler is poor, so I'm wondering what would be the best procedure to make this work. I have 4 fans inside my computer already, would that cover it? Or would I need to purchase additional hardware?
    This is a double no. 1) Thats not a CPU you want anyway, especially for WoW. 2) The cooler IS pretty awful on the stocks (I'm looking at one now as I type this), and internal case fans are not the same as a CPU fan. You'd need a new Heatsink/fan realistically... But you shouldnt get that product regardless...

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    My wife's pc has the same quad core.. She has no issues 25man raiding with all settings on HIGH/ultra.
    Ehhh.... People's idea of "no issues" ranges. I doubt she gets stabl FPS above like... 25... on Ultra. For a lot of people, 25 fps is unplayable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab