Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Bioshock Studio, Irrational Games, is shutting down

http://kotaku.com/bioshock-studio-ir...ium=Socialflow

Here's a quote from Ken Levine, owner of Irrational Games

"While I'm deeply proud of what we've accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we've done before," Levine wrote. "To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.
    Sad to see this happening when they created such a gem that's Bioshock - and that's coming from me who hates First Person Shooters.

At least they're re-focusing on what made Bioshock so good, the story.

He had a change of heart and fired everyone because of it, after a successful game no less. Sucks for the people working there, but I love Levine's spin.

I understand BioShock fared extremely well on the market, some people even calling it one of the greatest games of the decade. I for one do not understand what makes the game a gem in the slightest. From a FPS standard, its a fast-paced rubber bullet shooter which I thoroughly dislike. The hand power things were cool, but there could have been a lot more.

Admit to not having played BioShock 2, So maybe its better?

Until I played Last of Us Bioshock was my favorite gaming series ever. (Aside from WoW). So sad.

GOOD.

I, uh, don't really have anything more to say than that.

In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.
    *insert the usual grumblings about a new System Shock game here*

Deleted
    at least he didnt sell to EA (haha 2k own it anyways).. i guess at least he didnt leave to go to EA is more fitting :P

Deleted
    Bioshock Infinite was a cut down mess, which makes it ironic so many people think of it as one of the best games ever.

If only we could get a new System Shock game now...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emosaur View Post
    Bioshock Infinite was a cut down mess, which makes it ironic so many people think of it as one of the best games ever.

I don't get it either. One of the few games I really wonder if I got my moneys worth.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I just want to point out, they aren't shutting down they are cutting back to about 15 employees to work on a new project. That's not at all the same thing as shutting down.

Release one of the most widely praised games of the decade from both reviewers and the general audience: Proceed to shut down studio.

Oh scumbag Levine.

10+ Year Old Account
    While a shame that such a successful studio shuts down i have a good interest in what he have in mind with more narrative driven games given the nature of the Bioshock games, which imo where truly outstanding even if the gunplay where not the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this is just...I have no words.

To quote a Kotaku comment:

"I am a selfish piece of s*** and I want to do what I want to do. The people who helped get me to where I am be damned."

Fixed his statement for him.
    This is certainly how it looks like right now.

It really sounds like he went over his teams head and asked 2k to fund a new 15 person team for him and get rid of irrational.

If he was tired of making AAA games he should of just left himself and left irrational in tact, instead he wanted to make sure his bread winner(2k) was still funding him.

I won't be buying his future products after this, he is throwing a team who made 2 of the best games last gen to the curb for his own selfish wants.

To each their own. Probably my favorite FPS since Half-Life 2.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Wow, this is just...I have no words.

To quote a Kotaku comment:

This is certainly how it looks like right now.
    Which is rather ironic, considering Bioshock had an anti-Ayn Rand message about the perils of her philosophy of self interest being somehow a virtue. :P

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I understand BioShock fared extremely well on the market, some people even calling it one of the greatest games of the decade. I for one do not understand what makes the game a gem in the slightest. From a FPS standard, its a fast-paced rubber bullet shooter which I thoroughly dislike. The hand power things were cool, but there could have been a lot more.

Admit to not having played BioShock 2, So maybe its better?
    You don't play Bioshock for the gameplay, you play it for the story and atmosphere.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I just want to point out, they aren't shutting down they are cutting back to about 15 employees to work on a new project. That's not at all the same thing as shutting down.
    Incorrect, they are shutting down.

They're laying off the staff and moving/keeping only 15 on them to form some other new company under Take-2.

It would be the same as if Michael Morhame announced they were shutting down Blizzard and only taking 15 members of the staff to form a new company under EA.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Which is rather ironic, considering Bioshock had an anti-Ayn Rand message about the perils of her philosophy of self interest being somehow a virtue. :P
    You don't have to believe in a message in order to create a work with a message.

God, if I could remember half of the movies I watched in my film classes...