1. #1

    Arena Skirmish = Bad Idea?

    Anyone else think that this is going to be a great idea, but fall flat because of the "group alone or with friends" part?

    It's a good idea on paper, and it will give new or inexperienced pvpers something to learn from, but we all know that the inevitable, top rated players will queue up just to either go troll, or try new concepts without messing up their rating. It will pretty much ruin the idea of "casual arena"

    Me personally, I don't pvp much, so it wont bother me too much, but I do know a lot of players that chose to pvp, but not competitively in arenas.

    what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    It was almost universally loved in TBC/wrath so I don't know why they took it away. It was a good way to practice.
    Ret Paladin
    8/14H T16

  3. #3
    I am sure there will be some ilvl matchmaking in the background, or perhaps not, who knows.

    but we all know that the inevitable, top rated players will queue up just to either go troll, or try new concepts without messing up their rating
    First part, top rated players queue into Random BG's all the time just to mess around, this will be no different. Second part, that is what it is meant for, either testing a comp, talents etc without having a negative affect on your rating.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    It was almost universally loved in TBC/wrath so I don't know why they took it away. It was a good way to practice.
    yeah i never understood why it was removed, glad its coming back

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    4,334
    Skirmish was a massive success back when i started in wotlk, and i don't know why it was taken away but it will be a massive success again with no doubt.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

  6. #6
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    51
    We think this will be a great way for players who haven’t tried Arenas before to get their feet wet, and will allow experienced players to experiment with alternate specs or builds without worrying about tanking their rating.
    That is all

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    Anyone else think that this is going to be a great idea, but fall flat because of the "group alone or with friends" part?

    It's a good idea on paper, and it will give new or inexperienced pvpers something to learn from, but we all know that the inevitable, top rated players will queue up just to either go troll, or try new concepts without messing up their rating. It will pretty much ruin the idea of "casual arena"

    Me personally, I don't pvp much, so it wont bother me too much, but I do know a lot of players that chose to pvp, but not competitively in arenas.

    what do you guys think?
    Yeah, whas thinking the same, I dont know if you could gueue with a friend back in wrath? If you solo queue to try something out or just for fun and you face 2 or 3 people who are on ts3 or played together before its no fun. The concept is great if you both have the same circumstances, not if 1 team has a big advantage over the other.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fyl View Post
    Yeah, whas thinking the same, I dont know if you could gueue with a friend back in wrath?
    Yes you could - in TBC and Wrath. I remember my partner and I were doing some skirmishes together when we were experimenting with different approaches without risk to lose rating.

  9. #9
    Moderator Blithe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    I am sure there will be some ilvl matchmaking in the background, or perhaps not, who knows.



    First part, top rated players queue into Random BG's all the time just to mess around, this will be no different. Second part, that is what it is meant for, either testing a comp, talents etc without having a negative affect on your rating.
    But it's different in Battlegrounds, the scale is entirely different. I still think there should be some sort of 'item level' organised matchmaking system, or something similar. If high level players want to practice their compositions, sure, they can do some Wargames, but at the expense of new players considering starting PvP? That's just stupid. Most new players are intimidated when joining a battleground, it'll be much worse in a skirmish when you might as well not bother because the enemy team has 2200+ players and this is your first match since you began playing the game a week ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •