Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    By punishing, do you mean retirement, or desk duty? Because that is usually ANY gov't agency punishes its workers due to worker rights laws.
    If they are guilty then prison sentence, somehow I do not see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Irrelevant tangent is irrelevant. The state puts a price on value of the living and the dead every day. Just because the woman feels the value of her husband is 10 billion trillion dollars, does that mean she should get that?
    That is whats called negotiation. There can't be a cap, or else rich people would just kill for the hell of it. Read upon the Roman version of law. During republic period, a person who assulted someone and pay a fine. During the empire period, the wealthy went hitting people, and since inflation was not calculated, just paid a miniscule amount of money.

If your house gets raided for some drug warrant which turns out to be complete bullshit, you should be able to sue the judge. That might restrict some of these stupid fucking judges that just rubber stamp the warrants for the militarized police in Americas "WAR ON DRUGS".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    What happens in cases of "assisted suicide" by police, i.e. someone threatens an officer with a weapon (gun, knife, etc.), and the police kill him because he attempts to attack the officer with that weapon? Are the families of them compensated in the same manner or no?
    You mean someone mentally ill running at an officer with a knife?

Hopefully taken down with non-lethal means, but if the armed response is needed they will open fire if absolutely required.

Our forces have quite an outstanding history with our armed units, so them doing so is exceptionally rare.

But as for a pay out, i doubt they would; I don't remember a case where they've had to...

And for any other circumstance of an individual dying while threatening or harming the police, i doubt they'd get a payout either.

Deleted
    Every cop involved deserves to lose their job.

Millions? How does stripping tax payer dollars from essential services result in an improvement of said services?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    That is whats called negotiation. There can't be a cap, or else rich people would just kill for the hell of it. Read upon the Roman version of law. During republic period, a person who assulted someone and pay a fine. During the empire period, the wealthy went hitting people, and since inflation was not calculated, just paid a miniscule amount of money.
    This brief red herring on roman law brought to you entirely out of context by artemishunter1.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    I would love to see a thread once in awhile that's got positive stories about cops. Really getting sick of the hating on police.
    Well why don't you go out research some stories and make threads about them. Should be quite fulfilling instead of spamming around.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    If they are guilty then prison sentence, somehow I do not see it happening though.
    Of course not regardless of what actually happened can't think of them being dumb enough to not come up with something that works in favor of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Every cop involved deserves to lose their job.
    We have two dissenting statements here.

One from the family, one from the DA.

I'm not saying the police were innocent, but when the DA states that he had infact pointed a handgun at the officers; Then i think the case needs to withhold judgment.

In addition, they found two handguns right next to him.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2014-02-19 at 04:18 AM.

I think the way bad police are dealt with disciplinarinally is a fine example of how strong their union is. A lot of cops can kill someone, get fired and then get a job in the next town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    You mean someone mentally ill running at an officer with a knife?

Hopefully taken down with non-lethal means, but if the armed response is needed they will open fire if absolutely required.

Our forces have quite an outstanding history with our armed units, so them doing so is exceptionally rare.

But as for a pay out, i doubt they would; I don't remember a case where they've had to...

And for any other circumstance of an individual dying while threatening or harming the police, i doubt they'd get a payout either.
    So basically, families won't be compensated for deaths due to intention of harming people and/or officers, but are compensated for accidental and/or unintentional (i.e. collateral damage) deaths, correct?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I think the way bad police are dealt with disciplinarinally is a fine example of how strong their union is. A lot of cops can kill someone, get fired and then get a job in the next town.
    Any evidence for that?

I'd be curious of the employment rates of an officer illegally killing someone, only to get hired by the neighboring force.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    I've never met a bad cop in my life, and I work directly with them. Just tired of everyone shitting on police because of the few that are corrupt.
    If the corrupt were actually getting punished, you'd hear a lot less of this stuff.

This is a definite case of "citation needed".

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    We have two dissenting statements here.

One from the family, one from the DA.

I'm not saying the police were innocent, but when the DA states that he had infact pointed a handgun at the officers; Then i think the case needs to withhold judgment.

In addition, they found two handguns right next to him.

If he knew they were police then you would be right for sure, but a lot of these warrants are "no knock" warrants, so reasonably the guy can think they are burglars. The intel that was used needs to be looked at, as well as the judge that signed the warrant. If the cops go into a house that they are told is a meth lab and the guy pulls a gun on them, I believe its very reasonable for them to shoot that person. But the people that provided that shitty intel and the judge that believed the shitty intel should be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    If the corrupt were actually getting punished, you'd hear a lot less of this stuff.
    /facepalm they do

So basically, families won't be compensated for deaths due to intention of harming people and/or officers, but are compensated for accidental and/or unintentional (i.e. collateral damage) deaths, correct?
    Generally yes, if the police are found to be in the right by a court there won't be any compensation. If they are found to be in the wrong there is generally compensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    If a person is trying to harm another, and they're injured whilst being stopped; They receive no payment.

If they die whilst being stopped, i'm fairly certain the family receive no payment.

If the police accidentally harm someone, or breached the laws in regards to treatment of suspects or those in custody; They could receive a payment.

It's pretty complicated, and i can't describe each scenario well.

If he knew they were police then you would be right for sure, but a lot of these warrants are "no knock" warrants, so reasonably the guy can think they are burglars. The intel that was used needs to be looked at, as well as the judge that signed the warrant. If the cops go into a house that they are told is a meth lab and the guy pulls a gun on them, I believe its very reasonable for them to shoot that person. But the people that provided that shitty intel and the judge that believed the shitty intel should be held accountable.
    I'm pretty sure they knock the door down and yell police as they storm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    This is a definite case of "citation needed".

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/3...-who-wont.html

2 seconds in google