Thread: Hive rts

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation Hive rts

HIVE
    PC Real-time strategy game

Hive is easily approachable, riveting strategy game, where the objective of the player is to build an underground network using their insect colonies from the base, called "nests". Captivating back story and a beautiful visual design takes the player to a fantasy world, which offers new surprises and challenges as the game progresses. To react to these challenges the player must upgrade and adjust their nest.

Leaning to heavy storytelling and a broad world, Hive offers the player a diverse exploration ground. Having many different endings and possibilities, the player can create their own unique route, strategy, and story.

Growing and adjusting are one of the most important parts of the game. There lies many challenges in the underground networks, and the player must defeat enemies and explore the land to upgrade their nest to answer to them. By defeating right kind of enemies you can find new skills which you can add to your nest and use them in the battle. It is also possible for the player to learn new technology by inspecting the old abandoned ruins and temples.

The game has gotten it's inspiration from the nature documentations of insects, borrowed and blended elements from science fiction, strategy games and fascinating world of archeology. The end product is one of a kind game concept,which mesmerises the player for a long time.

---

Alright, lets try again! People asked me to post this on the forum too, so here it goes. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

For more information about Hive, please visit and subscribe:

https://www.facebook.com/SkydomeEntertainment

http://www.moddb.com/games/hive

~Sauli

Deleted
    More information about the gameplay etc will be released when then trailer is ready. Currently we are looking for voice actors for the intro cinematic.

Deleted
    Looks interesting. Post more info in the future ;]

10+ Year Old Account
    So it is going to look similarly to Warcraft 3, but with actual expanding your empire, rather than a battle of two small villages? Sounds like something I will definitely try!

Deleted
    Looks interesting, but some more details would be welcomed.

Some ideas on what you could do to attract people are to detail a bit your ideas of playable races and how they are going to play (maybe there was something, but couldn't find it).

In general, you need to be more specific, in all the texts I found about the game the description is a bit too generic and that doesn't attract much as people don't know why this game is also different from others, what makes it interesting. Sure, you talk about the hive thing, but I don't really understand how that works, it it like a regular base in an RTS? Or is it a small underground bunker you need to conquer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Looks interesting, but some more details would be welcomed.

Some ideas on what you could do to attract people are to detail a bit your ideas of playable races and how they are going to play (maybe there was something, but couldn't find it).

In general, you need to be more specific, in all the texts I found about the game the description is a bit too generic and that doesn't attract much as people don't know why this game is also different from others, what makes it interesting. Sure, you talk about the hive thing, but I don't really understand how that works, it it like a regular base in an RTS? Or is it a small underground bunker you need to conquer?
    Hey,

Here is some additional details:

Players and enemy units use "Squad" system where 3-8 units share same health pool. Each squad has leader unit that gathers experiance, can pick up weapons and equipment from dead enemies. These units may also have abilities on manual or auta cast. It is possible to replenish smaller dead units, but you dont want to lose the big guy. It has same elements how smaller fighter/corvette squads work in homeworld 2.

Buildings can be upgraded too visually, if you for example find plants, or other materials worker units carry those to the "Hive" building and upgrade it visually. It would after that have canopy built from leaves attached to it and this would increase its hitpoints unlock new abilities etc.

Ruins and temples are able to be captured, those grant player different bonuses and line of sight on the area.

Thanks for your interest and questions!

~Sauli

Deleted
    Here is the Gameplay video for Hive, let me know what you think!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I like the visual style and the atmosphere so much! Some attack animations need some work IMO, but, well, it is not that important for an RTS. As far as I know, no one has ever made any RTS based on insects (well, except for Zerg in Starcraft, but they are not exactly insects), so, with right advertisement, I think you can collect quite a significant player base.

Deleted
    Hey May90, Thank you for the feedback! We have currently two animation systems in use. The lizards and skeletons use old one on the video. We are still adjusting the attack animation times among other things.

It's true that you hardly notice those things in rts games, but we want to make those as smooth and realistic as possible! The insectoids are based on the ancient crustaceans, so there may be similarities with Zerg anatomy.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have, player feedback is extremely important to us! Keep em coming.

Cheers

~Sauli

Deleted
    Hive is now the most popular Greenlight concept on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=266778014

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, looking at the gameplay video and reading the "summary" they actually counter each other. What I expected, after reading the summary, was an rts with alien ants, where you build everything underground in a unique hive, and then have surface fights. Rather, you build the hive on the surface, like every other rts.

Now, the basis of insects, is still a pretty... unique... in terms of gameplay. Yes, we had sim ants... we have the zerg... and we have the xenomorphs. The ancient crustacean look is important, to give its own unique look, rather than xenos and zerg.

Deleted
    Thank you for the feedback! We did try many approaches at first, including the "Metal Fatigue" way where you have multiple level maps. There was certain problems on each one so we decided the common "surface" way. It's the most user friendly experiance to keep track of everything. There is alot of variation in the maps, first two levels are underground while the third is on Edens desert surface. Yes, we want to avoid the typical Zerg/Xenomorph/Tyrannid setting that everyone is stuck on. Insectoids are going to have very unique units and fighting style compared to the other alien factions you have seen before.

Deleted
    In the future, we would like to have more interaction with the players. We would love you to decide unit concept suggestions, which unit concept is most popular and will be created into the game. For example what kind of maps would you like to see from the proposed examples and all that.

Let me know what you think about this!

~Sauli

Deleted

Due to huge amount of positive feedback and interest. Hive is now on Steam Greenlight!

Please give us your support by voting it up, commenting and spreading the word!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=271969575
    Last edited by mmoc388dae5b40; 2014-06-17 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say, the RTS market has been very stagnant in the latest 10 years or so, with Warcraft and Starcraft being, pretty much, the only RTS series I really liked, while in 90-s it was, pretty much, the only genre I played a lot. So I am really looking forward to this game's release. I like the concept, the visual art, the musical style... You guys have the change to reboot the entire genre at last.

This looks very very interesting. Like people above said, RTS lately has been non-existent, and this looks very pleasing, both to the eye and to the mind, so far.
    May i suggest going to Kickstarter? As long as you don't set your goals too high, you're sure to get a good backing (i personally would pledge for sure), and plenty of exposure.

In regards to "immediate feedback" - i know this is far along the line, but perhaps a "secret level" of some kind that is influenced by lovecraftian works? Perhaps the Sunken City, or elder ruins?
    Last edited by Anakonda; 2014-06-17 at 08:41 PM.
    We dream, we dream.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    This looks very very interesting. Like people above said, RTS lately has been non-existent, and this looks very pleasing, both to the eye and to the mind, so far.
    May i suggest going to Kickstarter? As long as you don't set your goals too high, you're sure to get a good backing (i personally would pledge for sure), and plenty of exposure.

In regards to "immediate feedback" - i know this is far along the line, but perhaps a "secret level" of some kind that is influenced by lovecraftian works? Perhaps the Sunken City, or elder ruins?
    It's a bit problematic to apply for Kickstarter funding, we are company based on Finland and it's not available here. It seems to be going so well that we can reach the "Steam Greenlight" in a just a few days. Then we could release early access for people and get feedback and suggestions right away and the funding to make the game come true.

I'm huge fan of Lovecraft, so you are going to see that kind of things for sure. I'll try not to reveal too much, but that kind of things are already being developed into the game!

We reached 14% of the needed votes in less than 6 hours of submitting the game. If you want to support us, please tell people about the game!

Cheers

~Sauli

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I must say, the RTS market has been very stagnant in the latest 10 years or so, with Warcraft and Starcraft being, pretty much, the only RTS series I really liked, while in 90-s it was, pretty much, the only genre I played a lot. So I am really looking forward to this game's release. I like the concept, the visual art, the musical style... You guys have the change to reboot the entire genre at last.
    Yeah, we wanted to try something different, while making sure old fans of dungeon keeper series and other RTS games feel at home. Currently we have 20% of all votes needed to get on Steam Store.

If you want to support this kind of small indie studios, let people know and vote!

Cheers

~Sauli

Deleted
    40% of all needed votes reached already! Thank you people!

Deleted
    Congratulations on going so fast through Greenlight, hope you get enough votes.

That being said, hope you don't mind another question. I know you talked about the "leader" units, are they some sort of heroes? It would be nice to have heroes.

Also, really awesome video, I especially liked that upgrading units is shown visuals, like that armour bug with bags strapped to it, that was awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Congratulations on going so fast through Greenlight, hope you get enough votes.

That being said, hope you don't mind another question. I know you talked about the "leader" units, are they some sort of heroes? It would be nice to have heroes.

Also, really awesome video, I especially liked that upgrading units is shown visuals, like that armour bug with bags strapped to it, that was awesome.
    Thank you! smaller units have squads of 5-8 units and one "Leader" that is tougher and usually is the last one alive, they get better upgrades and carry special items that can be found from the world. It's kind of the same system that Homeworld 2 uses for fighters and corvettes. It makes moving smaller troops much easier.

76% of all votes needed for Steam already gathered!

- - - Updated - - -

95% now! getting close here