Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, yeah.. what I meant was if there 3:1 white:black poor .. shouldn't there be 3:1 or close to it white to black incarcerations? If being poor is the main problem?
    Racial profiling is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I see no reason to assume this. Can you provide some links to data?
    No, I'm asking questions to better understand, not trying to make a claim.

I don't understand your question. I think its pretty clear that the significantly higher poverty rates among african americans is clearly due to hundreds of years of discrimination, sure.

I was more getting at do you think this is more than just the cause of poverty but also the cause of criminality?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I was more getting at do you think this is more than just the cause of poverty but also the cause of criminality?
    Yeah I'm not following you at all. Poverty drives up crime, we know that, but there are other factors driving up incarceration rates for african americans, like systemic racial bias in the justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    First, most criminals are not black. Without even accounting for the racial disparities in the system, there are as many whites in jail as blacks. And once you factor in that blacks are, for the same offenses, more likely to be arrested, charged, and convicted, as well as getting longer sentances, and it's pretty clear that white criminals significantly outnumber black criminals.

Second, once you exclude the victimless crimes (for example, drug possesion), criminals are a very small subset of any group - a couple of percent at worst. Penalizing the entire group is both bigoted and useless. You spend all that time harrassing law-abiding individuals of the "wrong" colors and missing criminals of the "right" colors. See New York's stops and frisk statistics for how that plays out.

If neither of those work, consider this: you are almost certainly male. 99% of rapists are male. Therefore, you should be treated by everyone you meet as a potential rapist. It's just what the numbers say, after all.
    Not even close. More black men in jails than any other race. They also make up the largest percentage of violent crimes. These are facts.

Yeah I'm not following you at all. Poverty drives up crime, we know that, but there are other factors driving up incarceration rates for african americans, like systemic racial bias in the justice system.
    Bingo, which addresses the OP. And not just the justice system but the Police officers entering them into the justice system.

One problem here is that it distorts the actual number of crimes being committed. Also, it is incredibly self-fulfilling. I mean I wonder how many crimes are done by people who aren't being stereotyped because they are now under less surveillance? We know for a fact that people are more likely to do nefarious things when they aren't being held accountable for their actions or are under less supervision.

I have no data to support this, but it's possible while we are arresting all the black people for various crimes, white people are committing even more since they know they can get away with it.

That's my random thought on the subject. I can't be pro-racial profiling because I'm not pro affirmative action. I don't think we should be giving people advantages OR disadvantages based on the color of their skin.

But here's my tangent: You don't choose your race or your gender, but you also don't choose much of ANYTHING about yourself. You don't choose your parents or where you are born or what your natural talents are, or your intelligence, etc. So if we can't discriminate based on race (presumably at least partially because it's not something you choose, so why hold that against you?), I'm not sure we can really logically discriminate against anything else that you're born with, i.e. intelligence.

I think the difference is some of the things I mentioned actually affect your ability to do things and be successful, whereas race or gender is really just a non-issue in that regards.

Kind of off topic, but why is Black on White violence not a hate crime but the reverse is true?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Kind of off topic, but why is Black on White violence not a hate crime but the reverse is true?
    Why do you think this is true? This is not how the laws are written.

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights that prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures and requires any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. It was adopted in response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, a type of general search warrant issued by the British government and a major source of tension in pre-Revolutionary America. The Fourth Amendment was introduced in Congress in 1789 by James Madison, along with the other amendments in the Bill of Rights, in response to Anti-Federalist objections to the new Constitution. Congress submitted the amendment to the states on September 28, 1789. By December 15, 1791, the necessary three-quarters of the states had ratified it. On March 1, 1792, Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson announced the adoption of the amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_...s_Constitution

Private companies aren't exempt from the constitution. I hate to break that to all you people with boners for security.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin

One day these fuckers in power will push us too far.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."-JFK

It is a hate crime if it is racially motivated...