Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

New build, would love criticism.

I have now after lots of considerations found a build I rather like, and I would love some suggestions or criticism. My old desktop's motherboard died after 5 years, and I decided it was time to upgrade the whole system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($405.00)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($225.00)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($0.00)
    Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($0.00)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($410.00)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($194.00)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
    Total: $1378.00 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(I am aware that the prices don't really match up, but I adjusted the prices so they match the prices in my country.)

The RAM, 2 hard drives and the PSU are components I will be using from my "old" desktop, since they will work fine with this build, and do not need to be replaced.

The RAM I'm wondering about, if the new motherboard actually supports triple-channel RAM, since it was what I was going for before (for some reason, I don't remember now). I don't have any clue if this is something supported by all motherboards, or if there are any special requirements, but if it doesn't support it, I guess I have to buy some new RAM.

I have some doubts about the case for the build, and I am considering either the NZXT Phantom, NZXT Phantom 410 or the Corsair 350D and I am probably mostly leaning towards the NZXT Phantom, even though it is a little bit more expensive than the Phantom 410. I realize that the choice of case is completely personal, which is why I prefer the fairly stylish, yet "fancy" looks of the NZXT Phantom. If there are any big downsides to any of these cases, I would love to hear them, but from the reviews I have been reading about them, people seem to like them all.

The computer will mostly be used for video/image editing, programming (not that it requires much, but better hardware means faster compiling!), as well as low tier gaming (WoW, BF3/BF4, Diablo, MOBA's, stuff like that).
    Last edited by Fujiama; 2014-02-20 at 08:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what you are going to use, better buy faster ram, if it's not more than 10-20% more expensive.
    GTX 770 is too good for those games 760 will suffice for ultra, spend the money on new ram.
    The only motherboards that support tripple channel, are the ones for 6core CPU's, I believe. You need the CPU to support tripple channel, not just the Mobo, and 4770k only supports dual.
    Yea that case is too expensive.
    The PSU has too many Watts :P waste of money.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Spending money on new memory would be a huge waste, $100+ for 2fps? Nope nope nope.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

x58 chipset (LGA 1366) supports triple channel which is no longer. save money on the ram(8 gb is enough for most people), just use 2 of the 3 sticks u have. gpu and psu as the poster above says and buy a better ssd... agility 3 is slow and unreliable compared to the newer SSDs like Samsung 840 pro or evo
    | i5 4670k @ 4 Ghz | Saberthooth z87 | 16gb Vengeance RAM @ 1866 Mhz | GTX 760 GPU | Intel 520 SSD | Corsair 600T |

Deleted
    ok where are u from? doesnt indicate on pcpartpicker neither did u mention it. we might save u alot of cash without sacrificing performance

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the slow reply, I had no replies on the thread when I went to bed.

@Cyrops, if you had read my whole post through, you would probably have noticed that the RAM and PSU are parts I already have from my old desktop, parts that work perfectly fine. You might be onto something regarding the GPU though, I will look into the 760's. I realize that the case is expensive, but I rather like its design, but do you have any other cases you could recommend?

@flens, I am from Denmark. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Denmark has very high taxes on pretty much everything, especially electronic devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujiama View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply, I had no replies on the thread when I went to bed.

@Cyrops, if you had read my whole post through, you would probably have noticed that the RAM and PSU are parts I already have from my old desktop, parts that work perfectly fine. You might be onto something regarding the GPU though, I will look into the 760's. I realize that the case is expensive, but I rather like its design, but do you have any other cases you could recommend?

@flens, I am from Denmark. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Denmark has very high taxes on pretty much everything, especially electronic devices.
    I did read whole post

I don't have any clue if this is something supported by all motherboards, or if there are any special requirements, but if it doesn't support it, I guess I have to buy some new RAM.
    I thought you will want 16gb and will buy a new set, as buying another 4gb of RAM you be a LOT difficult, as you have to match stuff like all the timings and the same manufacturer. But yea you can use 8gb, but for what you said

The computer will mostly be used for video/image editing, programming
    I thought you will need more than 8GB.
    If I got that wrong, my bad.

For cases:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/zalm...d-6725584.aspx
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/cool...d-6981054.aspx
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/zalm...d-4925473.aspx
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/aero...d-6715178.aspx
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/cool...d-6950901.aspx

This one I really liked, and it's less than half of your pick price:
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet/aero...d-6760931.aspx

Most of those cases come in different colors, so if you like the design but want different color you can dig around for more:
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/kabinet

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I guess you're right. I think I will be starting out with 8gb of RAM and upgrading later if I need to. Think that's probably the easiest way to do it.

The cases is one of the things that I can ponder about for ages, and actually none of the cases you linked has the required space (240mm) for the H100i fans on the top of the case, which is a requirement (as far as I can see they don't have any, at least). That's mostly the reason why I ended up with the 3 I linked in the original post
    Last edited by Fujiama; 2014-02-20 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you're right. I think I will be starting out with 8gb of RAM and upgrading later if I need to. Think that's probably the easiest way to do it.

The cases is one of the things that I can ponder about for ages, and actually none of the cases you linked has the required space (240mm) for the H100i fans on the top of the case, which is a requirement (as far as I can see they don't have any, at least). That's mostly the reason why I ended up with the 3 I linked in the original post
    Ah my bad
    Here's a huge list:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1144409/h...-full-listings

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, that is fantastic. I had not seen that list! I'll get right on it then! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, after some researching from that list, I have come up with the choice between either the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 or the Fractal Define R4 Black Window Side Panel, where the reviews I have read actually point towards the cheapest one; the Arc Midi R2. They are not fancy cases in any way, but I actually kind of like the sleek design! Any comments on that case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, that is fantastic. I had not seen that list! I'll get right on it then! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, after some researching from that list, I have come up with the choice between either the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 or the Fractal Define R4 Black Window Side Panel, where the reviews I have read actually point towards the cheapest one; the Arc Midi R2. They are not fancy cases in any way, but I actually kind of like the sleek design! Any comments on that case?
    Not a looker, but it has what you need, dust filter in front, PSU is in bottom like it's supposed to, you can also rearrange stuff inside which is nice, cables will be hidden behind the mobo, looks solid

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic, I think that's what I'm gonna go with, then! In the meanwhile, I have also found a GTX760 that seems fairly decent! I am aware that there aren't huge differences between the different companies versions of the GPU (MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, stuff like that), but I rather like Gigabyte, so the Gigabyte Geforce GTX760 rather appeals to me. It costs pretty much the same as all the other 760's, but it has a higher default clock. Any suggestions other than that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic, I think that's what I'm gonna go with, then! In the meanwhile, I have also found a GTX760 that seems fairly decent! I am aware that there aren't huge differences between the different companies versions of the GPU (MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, stuff like that), but I rather like Gigabyte, so the Gigabyte Geforce GTX760 rather appeals to me. It costs pretty much the same as all the other 760's, but it has a higher default clock. Any suggestions other than that?
    Ugh, I think there was someone else asking about different manufacturers for the same chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k104,3542.html
    Can't find any test results on that review for different manufacturers, but most important is this page:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...04,3542-6.html

But yea Windforce wins :P
    There was a video with sound but only for AMD cards :/

Didn't watch but here's youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQhyMMCr2o