Poll: What is your favorite PvP Spec

Thread: PvP Specs

PvP Specs

I have been doing a lot of PvP for the past few weeks and I constantly find myself changing specs. I used to be Assassination at the start and had decent success with it, but I found it boring since that is my PvE Spec as well. So I went to Subtlety since I heard of its strengths, and failed miserably. (Most likely due to my unfamiliarity with the class) But I felt like I did next to no damage and could never get into position for backstab.
    After about a week of that I went combat. I liked the change of killing spree only hitting one target if Blade Flurry isn't active, but I ran into constant energy issues. After seeing the POSSIBLE lvl 100 talent of creating a shadow of yourself that copies abilities I though double killing spree would be powerful. But little success for the moment.
    So I ask you other Rogues, what is your favorite PvP Spec, why, and how long has that been your PvP Spec?

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Subtlety since Cata Season 9. I always loved the possibilities of Shadow Dance. And you can get some insane burst. Also back then it was the only specc with Prep so it was pretty clear

Combat is easily my favorite, but most seasons I just have to run whatever is really solid.

If I PvP'd often enough, I'm sure I'd play Subtlety because of Honor Among Thieves.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

With a lot of people saying subtlety, how do you overcome the position requirement for Backstab / Ambush? Stuns obviously help, but they only last for so long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subtlety is really the only PvP spec I know. A few years ago when I made this guy, I leveled almost entirely through BGs up until about level 70 as Sub. I'm not a big PvPer but in the seasons that I have participated in I've been Sub (I briefly switched to Assassination for a few weeks before Cloak and Dagger came out).

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I always pvp as Assassination, largely because of backstab.

For Combat PvPers how do you make sure you don't suffer from energy starvation? Do you stack mastery or use faster off-hands?

Sub for burst and control
    Assassination for constant damage and pressure
    Combat to pwn someone every 2 min

Ultimately, sub is the way to go, especially for arena. In bgs though any spec is fine but if you want to be really useful to your team sub is king.

Why is sub the way to go? I understand control and all but with diminishing returns if a match happens to last a little longer than expected you can end up very crippled.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally you want to stick with your slow off-hand weapons because of the energy regen per hit is larger than say, using a dagger.

And a lot of rogues reforge into haste and some even gem for haste, with other gems going into Agi + Mastery.

I know on the PTR for combat with Prideful gear, it was very easy to maintain hit and expertise capped along with having nearly 50% mastery. Pretty nice extra damage and haste.

Other than that, you just have to manage your energy like any other spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    Why is sub the way to go? I understand control and all but with diminishing returns if a match happens to last a little longer than expected you can end up very crippled.
    Uhh what do u mean? DR just takes a few seconds to ware off.