View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the leveling content in WoW?

Voters
305. This poll is closed
  • I love all of the content for leveling from 1-90

25 8.20%
  • I enjoy most of the content for leveling from 1-90

64 20.98%
  • I like some of the content for leveling from 1-90

31 10.16%
  • I neither like nor dislike the content for leveling from 1-90

9 2.95%
  • I love the content and wish there were more

16 5.25%
  • I enjoy the content and wish they would change some of it

17 5.57%
  • I like the content and wish they would change most of it

10 3.28%
  • I dislike most of the content and wish they would change it

10 3.28%
  • I hate all of the content and wish they would replace it

5 1.64%
  • I hate all of the content and the grind and want to boost past it

17 5.57%
  • I like the content but hate the grind and want to boost past it

44 14.43%
  • I like the content and don't mind leveling but would still boost

25 8.20%
  • My answer is not shown and I will answer below

32 10.49%
Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling Content: The Primary Reason for an MMO

In recent discussion, there has been a lot of back and forth regarding leveling content. Most people claim leveling is the primary purpose of the game and content should not be skipped. Others, like myself, think the content is beyond boring, and more than anything really just hate the GRIND of 89 levels. So, I thought I would put it to the test. Here is a poll asking your opinion of the leveling content. I am providing a FEW basic answers only. If you have additional comments, or an extremely acute opinion, please feel free to reply below.

So, in your opinion, is the leveling content in WoW the primary content? Also, is it good, bad, or OK and could use improvement?

World content is the whole point of a game like this. It should be the main focus.

what is up with this incessant need to subscribe to absolutist bullshit of things being done in only ONE way? The My Way or the Highway philosophy is so outdated that it's become fossilized and the religious nuts are disputing that it existed in the first place and that it was fabricated to beginwith...
    Different people enjoy different things. Fuck it, the SAME people enjoy DIFFERENT things at DIFFERENT times...
    People need to learn to LiveAndLetLive...

That said, there are moments I absolutely LOVE the leveling process (usually the first time), and there are moments I absolutely DETEST the leveling process (can be any time after the first time). There are loads of aspects of it that can be improved, including, but not limited to, Voice Acting improvements, Immersion improvements, Quest Difficulty Scaling (based on player choice, think Diablo style Monster Power), etc.

Sincerely, IHateyou

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    World content is the whole point of a game like this. It should be the main focus.
    World content only starts you on the path into the immersion. The game doesn't really take off flying until level cap. Just my opinion of course.

Leveling content is getting old and long. I don't mean they are bad but we shouldn't have to use them anymore. For me the real fun start at max level or the last available expansion.
    Last edited by Thotor; 2014-02-20 at 02:20 PM.

It should be for a mmoRPG, but WoW seems to be more focused on being a MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokzum View Post
    It should be for a mmoRPG, but WoW seems to be more focused on being a MMO
    If this were true, there would be no more lore knights cockblocking my Gnome Druid, Pally, Shaman, and Hunter.

In my opinion, the only fun time to participate in the leveling content is during the first 24 hours of the expansion release to max out your character for that given expansion.

Leveling in itself is usually a solo experience, and if you've done one quest you've pretty much done them all. Especially at this point with the mmo genre being so tight and afraid to do any heavy experimentation. For me, leveling has long lost its appeal. I would personally prefer an mmo that didn't even include leveling content at all and spent all that dev time on end-game stuff instead.

Just adding: the primary focus of the game is group interaction (hence mass multiplayer) while in most cases in this game having more players around while you're leveling is not welcome. So I'd say the leveling process is by far not the whole point of the game.
    Last edited by Laurabelle; 2014-02-20 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    I personally kind of enjoy leveling but only ONCE, since I normally go for the Loremaster achievements in new expansions I get to see everything. But when I have to do it whilst leveling an alt I feel like there is nothing left to discover. Of course you can do quests quicker since you know whats going on but that really isn't an issue when the first week or two raiding is non existent. Another fact is that when doing the quests of a new expansion, you get to roflstomp your way through the "collect 10 bear-arses" or "kill 10 murloc's". But doing this on an alt (which I barely play anyways) it's painfully slow taking 10 times longer.

LT;DR, I like story quests once, on my main then hate them for ever.

Basically, i enjoy the levelling content, but with 5 L90s, 2 in the L85+ bracket and one somewhere in Cata-level... I'm done with it, thanks.

Nothing anybody can do about it, but after 8 times, even if half of those were in pre-revamp 1-60, levelling is just meh, since i play Alliance only the revamp actually hurt more than it helped, with levels 1 to 60 being one big "You done got owned, boy!"-fest and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This isn't even remotely true. This line of thought means that once you get to max level you are done with the game.

World content is nothing more then a means to an end, and the end being a level cap and the chance to finally do some end game content.

There is nothing wrong with bypassing the leveling experience now, just like there wasn't anything wrong with it with RaF and SoR.

People need to get over it.
    Last edited by Marema; 2014-02-20 at 02:34 PM.

If leveling was remotely interesting and not the same dungeon grind till 80, then Hyjal/Deepholm/TLHL/Pandaland, I'd be fine with it. But being on on Outland-Horde just makes Pandaland almost unbearable at times and Hyjal on PvP servers is just a horrible time for all. Hellfire can at least be skipped in a reasonable amount of time, you can't dungeon farm past Hyjal/Vashj (Not even an option imo) efficiently.

World content was the point of the game when you leveled your first couple of toons (alliance and horde) through groups quests & long chains that existed in TBC and vanilla. LFD eliminated the dungeon immersion then cata ruined the entire world as everything was soloable. Do half the readers here even remember a (Group) quest.... Making friends as you level does not exist but was a core part of the leveling process in vanilla and TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    In recent discussion, there has been a lot of back and forth regarding leveling content. Most people claim leveling is the primary purpose of the game and content should not be skipped. Others, like myself, think the content is beyond boring, and more than anything really just hate the GRIND of 89 levels. So, I thought I would put it to the test. Here is a poll asking your opinion of the leveling content. I am providing a FEW basic answers only. If you have additional comments, or an extremely acute opinion, please feel free to reply below.

So, in your opinion, is the leveling content in WoW the primary content? Also, is it good, bad, or OK and could use improvement?
    Leveling content IS the primary point of an MMO. WoW just does it badly.
    The leveling content in WoW is not the pimary content that the developers are working on sadly. If it was the game would be way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been in favor of only allowing boosts to people with level 90 characters already. Once you've experienced the leveling process once you really don't need to again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    This isn't even remotely true. This line of thought means that once you get to max level you are done with the game.

World content is nothing more then a means to an end, and the end being a level cap and the chance to finally do some end game content.

There is nothing wrong with bypassing the leveling experience now, just like there wasn't anything wrong with it with RaF and SoR.

People need to get over it.
    This only applies to WoW.
    The point of an RPG is character progression, be it at lvl 1 or lvl 90, both should be equally important.
    There's everything wrong with bypassing leveling content, since you're missing over 90% of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as WoW goes, I think it used to be, back when end-game content for the average player basically amounted to casual BGs, a few dungeons, and maybe Kara with your friends. Making new characters and experiencing Azeroth meant a lot more back then; the idea of a vast world brimming with life was much more of a selling point than it is now.

I enjoy leveling once. Following the story, even going as fast as possible, and doing all new content is fun.

After that, its a grind. At least you make gold during it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, play a different genre if you can not be bothered to level. It's part of an RPG, be it gear levels, power levels, ability levels or whatever. If you think leveling is boring, please play something else that has no levels. You are clearly playing the wrong game, period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I've been in favor of only allowing boosts to people with level 90 characters already. Once you've experienced the leveling process once you really don't need to again.
    If being lvl 90 were a stipulation, then the obvious answer would be getting one for free every quarter. I don't blame them for charging. I even think the price is fair. I blame them for not doing this in Cata