Deleted

Lore on Ashran and old school AV

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...all-day-event/

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Man, lots of nostalgia thinking about oldschool AV. I spent a LOT of time in there during Classic. Spending hours pushing back and forth until finally we were able to overtake a bunker and just get that minor foothold, and then scrambling to defend it... good times.
    It's a feeling we'd definitely like to bring back to the game in some way. We're not sure that today's AV is really the best place to do that though. When you queue for a random battleground, you generally expect that battle to last maybe 15-20 minutes or so. It wouldn't really feel great to see your queue pop, click to join, and then see the AV loading screen and know you could be in there for hours.

But like I said, we definitely want to see those huge battles in WoW again. Ashran (our new world PvP zone in Warlords) takes a ton of inspiration from those early Alterac Valley battles. It's designed to be an epic tug-of-war style battle, where you can either take direct part of the battle on the front lines, or work towards various other objectives that will support your faction in the main push. It's not a quick fight that's over in under an hour -- it's something that could take days before either side can claim a real victory, and you're rewarded for just participating even if you're not there for the final push.

We really want Ashran to hit that same chord that Alterac Valley did when it was first added, and we think we can pull it off. Can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it
    If they can really pull this off, I'll applaud them for their genius.

Yea a ton of potential. They do have the nack of killing off content every patch...

Deleted
    If they do it right, it can be one of the best PvP features to date

I have my hopes

i have been playing on a vanilla server for a while now.

while the battles do last longer... they are still not nearly as much.

if there are things that are skip-able, people will do so in order to move on to another bg..

for example.. (using an imaginary AV scenario):

- killing the boss in the mid and taking a bunker in 3 hrs is worth 1000 honor
    - completing the entire bg gives 10000 honor but takes 50 hours

...well... people are going to afk after doing the first one, wait 15min , and queue again for a new game. And what about those just joining and seeing that the middle is already cleared and that the final push is going to take longer than the time they have available to play....