Do you think WoW will ever upgrade their armor models?

( First time poster, long time lurker )

Simple question, imo.

Aside from their very recent attempt to add more visual depth to belts and shoulderpads, do you think that Blizzard will ever show the same attention to the other pieces of gear?

For example:

Many pieces of Cata and MoP gear have belts that actually have an individual bit of modeling attached (see: Challenge Mode Gear, Tier Sets), aside from the traditional 2D texture that simply covers the aforementioned position on the player's model (See: Pretty much everything else).

With the new models coming to us with the next expansion, the previously used textures will most certainly begin to show a glaring juxtaposition when put onto the newer, higher-poly characters. In fact, you can see this now with the recently released screenshots and videos of the WoD press event.

When, if ever, do you think Blizzard will begin to show more attention to the modeling of the majority of armor?

** Apologies for no pictures. I'd post them if I could, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt old gear will be updated, but we've seen improvements in gear models during each expansion and I expect that will continue.

They won't update any older/current armor sets because they will lose what made them look special. They would only ever improve the future armor looks.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    I highly doubt old gear will be updated, but we've seen improvements in gear models during each expansion and I expect that will continue.
    While I agree we've seen improvements, it's undeniable that they've neglected a large portion of the equipment slots: mainly the chest, legs, and gloves. They've been rather static since vanilla, unless I've missed out on a few outstanding pieces hidden away somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    A high poly makeover for older BoE gear would be really really nice provided they don't take liberties at altering the original look when doing it. But I really doubt that they'd find the resource allocation worth it. That is a container ship of work to dive into and just not important enough.
    Again, I definitely agree on the workload; however, one could argue that new models themselves aren't worth the resource allocation. Given how long it's taken them just to be - what was it: 30%? - done with them, it could easily be argued that they take time away from other important aspects, like raiding and arena / BGs.

IMO, if it's worth the time and effort to make our models fancy, I don't see why it would be any different for the armor itself. Especially when considering we usually see more of the armor than the actual character model, anyway.

i find any kind of a visual update a pointless waste of time, but considering that what sells the games now is graphics instead of gameplay, they probably will do many such things

I can see them doing something interesting in the future with old tier sets or something. Perhaps re releasing some of them as transmog pieces like the challenge mode gear with higher res textures, maybe some added things here and there or recolors.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if you meant remodeling or upcoming models. but you made a great example by pointing out challenge mode armor as being a good evolutionary step in the armor art direction. it was pointed out even by the art director, Chris Robertson in this video: (found at 4:40)
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by C1d0s View Post
    ( First time poster, long time lurker )

Simple question, imo.

Aside from their very recent attempt to add more visual depth to belts and shoulderpads, do you think that Blizzard will ever show the same attention to the other pieces of gear?

For example:

Many pieces of Cata and MoP gear have belts that actually have an individual bit of modeling attached (see: Challenge Mode Gear, Tier Sets), aside from the traditional 2D texture that simply covers the aforementioned position on the player's model (See: Pretty much everything else).

With the new models coming to us with the next expansion, the previously used textures will most certainly begin to show a glaring juxtaposition when put onto the newer, higher-poly characters. In fact, you can see this now with the recently released screenshots and videos of the WoD press event.

When, if ever, do you think Blizzard will begin to show more attention to the modeling of the majority of armor?

** Apologies for no pictures. I'd post them if I could, lol.
    Prob depends on what they decide is reasonable to do. Something that is largely a texture/flat object on your character would be a lot lighter in terms of loading/render than additional modeled objects on your character. The shoulders are more easily one to have gotten that kind of attention because they are by nature a modeled object resting on your shoulders. Multiply that by all the other pieces...eh, depends if it will bog it down or not. People with super powered game systems might be fine with it, though a lot of average computer owners/players that I imagine are probably the larger portion...not so much. Then you also risk adding to clipping issues some people already complain about.

Deleted
    Ever? Yes. Soon? Soon™.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Prob depends on what they decide is reasonable to do. Something that is largely a texture/flat object on your character would be a lot lighter in terms of loading/render than additional modeled objects on your character. The shoulders are more easily one to have gotten that kind of attention because they are by nature a modeled object resting on your shoulders. Multiply that by all the other pieces...eh, depends if it will bog it down or not. People with super powered game systems might be fine with it, though a lot of average computer owners/players that I imagine are probably the larger portion...not so much. Then you also risk adding to clipping issues some people already complain about.
    So long as it remains in the same spirit as the majority of other models, I don't see why adding more depth or possible 3D elements would bog down systems anymore than the ridiculous amount of high-poly spell effects or the new models themselves.

Clipping I can see being an obvious issue.

That said, I'm not asking for something like a literal 3D breastplate as an independent model over a character - that would be nice and ideal, but it does present problems of its own. More along the lines of, at the very least, the illusion of depth and detail with greater attention given to the textures themselves so that they don't feel or look painted-on to the character.

I think so, if you look at early Wrath armor, they didn't have the world champ belt, or the layered pants or the more plated looking boot, but they had already been added to the game in 3.0. The new models are supposed to be much more flexible and expandable, so i'm expecting something in tier 2 if not out of the gate with the challenge armor. I'm sure they've got something under their hat in regards to armor.

On the topic of updating older gear, I think if they added scaling effects to older content they could totally do challenge modes for updated/upgraded versions of older tier gears. Plus it could give them a chance to freshen up that content to really add diversity to the end game options/extend patch life.
    Last edited by Leare315; 2014-02-22 at 03:18 AM.

TBH, I wouldn't wanna see upgrades of old sets just for the sake of upgrading the look of an old set. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing future gear being based around older iconic sets tho.

As an exception tho, it would be nice to see tho sets that may be missing 1 or 2 peices worked on just enough to complete them. Same thing with certain peices of gear that have color bugs.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom