New computer won't recognize monitor

Hello everyone!

Before I go into details, this computer does not have a hard drive installed yet if that may be the problem.

I just got through building my first computer, but when I turn it on it will turn itself off then back on and will start working. The fans and lights work fine but my monitor won't turn on. I've tried putting the RAM in different spots, using different VGA/DVI slots on the gpu and motherboard, tried using HDMI hooked to my TV, and checking to see if there were any loose connections.

My build is:

Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
    Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
    SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    and an old disc drive from my last computer

My monitor is 1680x1050 with a VGA and DVI slot. Currently one end (the one plugged into monitor) is VGA, while the one in the computer is VGA sorta plugged into a DVI. Sorry if I miss anything or being confusing!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the monitor flashes a bunch of different colors if that helps
    Last edited by Rapthorne; 2014-02-23 at 02:47 AM.
    3DS FC: 4098-2782-6991

Deleted
    Hm, so you tried to connect to the GPU right? Because if you connect from motherboard to monitor it wont work as you have a dedicated GPU connected. It has to be from GPU slot to monitor.

Other than that... if you're still having trouble it could be a driver thing. You might just need to update drivers for your GPU/mobo. Unsure how you could do this without a monitor though.

And it could also be a dodgy cable, seems unlikely if it worked on your previous PC though.

I'm guessing it has to do with the dvi to vga adapter, you may need a different one for your monitor. Take a close look at the pins and see if they match http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...1616114965.png

I feel asleep right after I posted this, sorry! But I looked at that picture and it does look like I have the DVI-A one, which im guessing my computer doesn't support?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapthorne View Post
    Before I go into details, this computer does not have a hard drive installed yet if that may be the problem.
    This won't be a problem. The PC will still boot but you will just get Hard Disk/OS not detected error. You will have output on the screen though.

I feel asleep right after I posted this, sorry! But I looked at that picture and it does look like I have the DVI-A one, which im guessing my computer doesn't support?
    I am usually against using X-to-Y adapters of any sort. It is just one more possibility of faulty hardware. Instead of buying a different adapter, just buy the correct cable. You can easily find one under $10.

So I got a DVI to HDMI adapter (DVI in monitor, HDMI in computer) and tried that out, didn't work... tried my friends monitor that had an HDMI input (both monitor and computer using HDMI), didn't work. Took out the GPU and used the motherboards HDMI slot, didn't work. Adjusted the CPU around a bit, took out the RAM and put it back in trying 1-2, 1-3, 2-4 slots and didn't do anything. At this point I'm just trying to figure out what part is bad so I can get a refund or RMA it =/

The monitors/tvs I try it on just wont come on and like I said in the original post, the fans and lights work fine.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just built a system very similar to yours. Worked fine for a week, then today the screen went black while playing. I could hear sound in the headphones for a few seconds before the sound froze. Tried checking the hdmi connections from my gigabyte 770 to my hp w2338h monitor. I got it to work briefly in game before the screen froze. Gonna try a new hdmi cable to see if that works. Although with the scree staying on and the game freezing it might be something else. I'll post back if I get t working

Just got back with a new $9hdmi cable. Plugged it in and everything works fine again. This one seems to fit snug, the last one I was using was pretty loose feeling. Best of luck with yours.
    Last edited by Phowler; 2014-02-23 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phowler View Post
    I just built a system very similar to yours. Worked fine for a week, then today the screen went black while playing. I could hear sound in the headphones for a few seconds before the sound froze. Tried checking the hdmi connections from my gigabyte 770 to my hp w2338h monitor. I got it to work briefly in game before the screen froze. Gonna try a new hdmi cable to see if that works. Although with the scree staying on and the game freezing it might be something else. I'll post back if I get t working
    Just got back with a new $9hdmi cable. Plugged it in and everything works fine again. This one seems to fit snug, the last one I was using was pretty loose feeling. Best of luck with yours.
    Thats good news! Happy you got yours working again. My HDMI fits well into my computer so I don't think it would be the problem though :[

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to my CPU or motherboard being the problem (hard to tell which one it actually is though). I put a different graphics card and hard drive in the computer and it didn't change anything. Though I don't know if the RAM could possibly be in the wrong slots, as the manual doesn't say anything about it for some reason.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spoke to soon. Mine is now hard freezing in the first 5-10 minutes of wow running. Gonna try reseating the graphics card, then memtest. Also monitor still showing no signal/input on random start ups. Hooked up to a 46in tv with no problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats good news! Happy you got yours working again. My HDMI fits well into my computer so I don't think it would be the problem though :[

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to my CPU or motherboard being the problem (hard to tell which one it actually is though). I put a different graphics card and hard drive in the computer and it didn't change anything. Though I don't know if the RAM could possibly be in the wrong slots, as the manual doesn't say anything about it for some reason.
    Are there any lights lighting up on the motherboard?
    I noticed you have 2133 ram, can you borrow a different ram? My coworker said some ram have issue and don't downclock themselves.
    Also do you really have non K chip in that system? -_-
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-02-23 at 04:38 PM.
    PM me weird stuff :3