Proving Grounds Tank Silver Help

Good afternoon!

Been trying to get through the silver challenge for proving grounds as a Brewmaster, but end up failing at the second to last wave during its transition.

It's rather irksome too, seeing as I'm currently 9/14 Heroic in SoO. Does anyone have any tips of suggestions for getting through it?

Here is my monk currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 Game changers for me

1.Kite as much as possible. If ure going for Endless its all about kiting the mobs. Spec Tornado(gets u further) and another roll with shorder CD + 5 sec Stun talents. Use Keg Toss + Disable for slow etc and remember to keep taunt that Wind knock back dude

2.The fire on the ground made by the casters deals damage to the enemy if u tank mobs in them

3.Use Paralyze on one mob on few Waves

I dont remember getting Silver was a big deal as i learned all these stuff getting endless 30. I dont remember how the Waves were at silver, but If ure going for Endless Its bascily split down into Kiting Waves(Usualy a Group of mobs spawn at the same time but a few others aswell) and Tank stuff in fire Waves (Waves that spawns a caster first starting with the ability Lava something).

There is also a rotation for what to Paralyze as u will Always use it at the same way. Wave 1, 11, 21, 31 and so on

Checking up youtube videos on how others are doing it is a great tip btw

If the second to last wave is the same one as it is at Endless i feel for u however, cant remember how many times i raged on that one :P

Good luck with PG
    Last edited by Spoonman; 2014-02-23 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, this is very easy as Brewmaster! One of the smoothest tanks in PGs.

What is probably killing you is that you're not taking it seriously — it's just a stupid Proving Ground, right? :p You have to maintain all your rotation checklists, then it's very easy and smooth.

As someone who learned how to play Brewmaster from scratch starting with Bronze proving grounds, I'm just going to go over everything I needed to figure out and you can see if anything stands out. Because at first I couldn't even complete Bronze without exploding and felt like Brew was the hardest tank ever, haha. (now I do Endless without any gems, chants, or reforges because eh, too lazy and Brewmaster is OP)

Talents
    • Chi Wave and make sure it's macro'd to cast on you, so you get maximum healing bounces.
    • Ascension OR Chi Brew. Ascension is smoother, Chi Brew provides you another defensive CD (Elusive Brew on demand).
    • Leg Sweep, long burst stuns are more valuable than short frequent stuns.
    • Dampen Harm, all-purpose and helps with everything vs. Diffuse which is only useful vs Large Flamecallers (but so is Dampen, so)
    • Xuen — you don't need RJW to hold threat and Xuen provides you another defensive CD which you're lacking

Glyphs
    Enduring Healing Sphere, Gift of the Ox will fill the floor, allowing you to play Pac-Monk whenever you need it.

FIRE — READ
    DO NOT waste inordinate amounts of time / concentration trying to position things in flame patches. It's not easy and you have many other distractions, plus the Wind Guards (and in Gold, Conquerors) will screw it all up anyway. And, then random nature of the distribution means sometimes it's much harder than others.

Most importantly, if you get the flames on you, your chances of completion drop sharply and quickly. They hurt.

Definitely, if you spot a chance to soak enemies in lava, do it. It makes the pulls go by dramatically faster. But you can complete any wave with zero use of flame patches — and what you gain from putting enemies in flames is totally lost if you get 4-5+ stacks on you while trying to be clever.

The most important thing to do is not touch lava. Tricking monsters into standing in it is a distant secondary priority.

Cowardice
    You don't need to do this if you're playing perfectly but, you know.

If you mess up and let Shuffle drop at a bad time, or you need to Purify but don't have Chi, etc. use Tiger's Lust or a Roll chain to buy enough space to recover. Just 1-2 seconds of unmolested healing can turn everything around.

Statue
    Set your statue on top of Sikari's annoying head. Make a macro, if you don't already have it:
    /target [mod:shift]Black Ox Statue
    /use Provoke
    /targetlasttarget [mod:shift]

If you're in a situation where you can't spare a GCD for Dizzying Haze, this is 100% cheeseball foolproof way to keep her from whining.

Rotation
    You're undergeared in here! Don't waste Chi or Energy on things like SCK or Breath of Fire — Keg Smash + Dizzying Haze are The End for holding aggro. Keep Shuffle 100%, fill with Tiger Palm, Jab/Expel off extra Energy, and Guard when you start getting hammered.

Probably nothing new to you based on your progression history — but, small mistakes hurt much more at these gear levels, so it's a good checklist and priority system to remind yourself of. Trying fancier stuff or being cheeky with your Energy / Chi might cause Shuffle to drop and then you explode.

Tricks
    • Disarm the Wind Guards to make them impotent; basically another defensive CD.
    • Save Leg Sweep for Rabbit groups; if you know Rabbits aren't coming soon, then just use it as a Stun.
    • Wind Guards are the most dangerous thing in Silver, they're when to use CDs if you see yourself hurting.
    • Large Flamecallers can be shutdown hard by a spaced chain of Spear Hand, Stun, Paralysis (haha cheesy)... if you wait till they're almost done casting, you'll usually have Spear Hand ready again after this.
    • If a Large Flamecaller is toasting you hard and you're out of options, Roll or Tiger's Lust away and hide behind a barrier. They will be LOS'd and force to waste a long time chasing you.
    • Use Roll Backwards > Clash as a clutch interrupt and ghetto AoE stun to squeeze out that much more time.

Specifically the wave you're asking about
    You mean the wave 7 pull, which starts with a Wind Guard, a Ripper, and a Small Flamecaller, right? This pull will beat you to death as well as disorient/piss you off from the combination of flame puddles and constant Wind Guard KBs/aggro drops.

Keg Smash the 2 to get their attention, drag them to the Flamecaller so you can hold aggro on all. Pop Dampen to nullify any Fireballs that get through. Pop Elusive and Disarm the Wind Guard, then focus your attention on keeping the Flamecaller interrupted via Spear Hand / Paralyze cycles.

When the Wind Guard KBs you, just stay out of fire and use Statue Taunt to pull it back once it reach Sikari.

If you stay focused, everything should be near-dead by the time wave 8 starts. Have kegs flying already so they immediately aggro the Wind Guard + Rabbits, then Leg Sweep to give yourself time to establish a good Shuffle and get Guard up. Drag them to the opposite side (near Rotun) so you're ready for the final spawn.

Somewhere in here you will definitely need to pop Fortifying, I save it for when the Large Flamecaller spawns in Wave 8 because the Wind Guard + Rabbit bleeds + Pyroblasts are brutal.

That's all there is to it — keep your defenses up, hold 1 Chi to Purify spikes, use all your CDs, use Elusive, and pump out as much control as you can through a combo of Clash, Sweep, Paralyze, Spear Hand, Disarm, etc.

Most useful things have already been said.

But I have a super pro-tip for you.

Monk daily quest. Awww yeah. Enlightenment i believe it's called. That big honkin 50% xp buff while leveling turns into a big mastery buff at 90 for 1 hour. So do PGs while you have this buff, it lets you keep it, or at least it did last time I did it. It's not like easymode or anything with it, but it helps some.
    +3000 mastery is pretty darn good at those gear levels. :>

I did all this mess and got titles for all specs ages ago, I honestly don't remember much about it aside from the endless mode having those ass hats that knock you back and drop aggro being the biggest pain in the ass out of the whole thing. But the monk buff should help you survive anyway.

And if you're having trouble keeping aggro on those dudes, just keep your back to the little barriers so they can't knock you back very far. Should be able to keep hitting them to hold aggro even after a drop, and can always taunt your statue as an AOE taunt to get em back on you. Surviving endless and holding aggro on those dicks are the only challenging parts.

Another thing I did when I was going for endless tank, that one wave on endless that was giving me trouble had 3 of those ass bugs. So what I did, if i recall correctly, was paralyze one, popped xuen and let him tank one himself, and I tanked the final one, then if they aggro dropped on me I could taunt back immediately, and xuen of course is spamming taunts like a mofo on his target.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2014-02-23 at 10:03 AM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Monk daily quest. Awww yeah. Enlightenment i believe it's called. That big honkin 50% xp buff while leveling turns into a big mastery buff at 90 for 1 hour. So do PGs while you have this buff, it lets you keep it, or at least it did last time I did it. It's not like easymode or anything with it, but it helps some.
    +3000 mastery is pretty darn good at those gear levels. :>
    I'm fairly certain this doesn't stack with the mastery raid buff, which you have in PGs from the npcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    I'm fairly certain this doesn't stack with the mastery raid buff, which you have in PGs from the npcs.
    I can confirm this.

One of the other monks in our Raid team kept on trying it, but Blessing of Might kept on overwriting it.

On the topic of discussion though..

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post

Talents
    • Dampen Harm, all-purpose and helps with everything vs. Diffuse which is only useful vs Large Flamecallers (but so is Dampen, so)
    • Xuen — you don't need RJW to hold threat and Xuen provides you another defensive CD which you're lacking
    This is what got me through it. That simple change of moving from the healing talent to Dampen Harm. My frustration was clouding my memories, it was the large fire guys that were destroying me. Thank you, to you and everyone else, for all of your help! I really appreciate it!