Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yeah but those threads are usually about tipping in a restaurant. This one is about delivery drivers. Personally I never tip a delivery driver because they arent paid server wages. Most of them make at least minimum wage and often more. In addition a lot of them are paid extra if they use their own car to pay for gas and wear and tear
    Generally not in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Generally not in the US.
    Pizza hut paid did when I worked there in the US as a young man. Maybe mom and pop shops dont but, but Id bet most big chains pay extra if you use your own car to cover gas and wear and tear in the US

I would consider tipping if they didnt take 5 orders out at a time so by the time they get to me the food isnt steaming hot anymore. I wouldnt tip for luke warm or cold food. In fact they are lucky I dont just refuse to accept it. They should make it a law that the delivery driver can only take ONE order out for delivery at a time. In fact, sometimes, your food just sits in a box at the pizza shop for 5 or 10 minutes just to wait for another order to be done so they can take them both at same time. Its bullshit
    If they didn't manage the deliveries to be as time efficient as possible there's no way you would get your food in a decent time. If they only did one at a time they'd be so backed up from deliveries that your food would be in the box for way longer. Unless you really expect them to have 20 delivery drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    We have this thread every month, it will end up with Americans defending the tipping system and people threatening to spit in the food of non tippers and the rest of the world saying you should pay a decent wage rather than rely on tips.
    Well these dudes are delivering to your house, you have to tip them no matter what country you live in.
    You can always pick up the food if you aren't lazy.

We never go over 3$ (our bi weekly pizza hut order is usually between 20-30$). That is based on the fact the pizza hut is literally 1 block away so it doens't cost the guy much gas etc plus you already pay pizza hut a delivery charge. So they should pay their drivers more.

And don't give me the "but then your food would be more expensive!".. it already is. the tip IS in your food price.
    I travel between europe and the US a lot and frankly over all (including tips) the food ends up costing the same :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Well these dudes are delivering to your house, you have to tip them no matter what country you live in.
    They get paid above minimum wage here.

I never give tips, the 6 dollar delivery price that gets added to my order is expensive enough

10+ Year Old Account
    We already get charged a delivery fee just for the order, so I normally tip 10%.

Deleted
    That is the job they applied for, that is the job they got. They knew the wages up front and even if it is the only job they could get for whatever reason, in a country where workers are guaranteed a minimum wage regardless of which sector they are in, then I see absolutely no reason why I should tip them.

You don't tip the Bin man for taking away your rubbish, You don't tip the milk man for leaving your milk, and you don't tip the post man for delivering all the mail.

I would consider tipping if they didnt take 5 orders out at a time so by the time they get to me the food isnt steaming hot anymore. I wouldnt tip for luke warm or cold food. In fact they are lucky I dont just refuse to accept it. They should make it a law that the delivery driver can only take ONE order out for delivery at a time. In fact, sometimes, your food just sits in a box at the pizza shop for 5 or 10 minutes just to wait for another order to be done so they can take them both at same time. Its bullshit
    Would you prefer your food sit in a box for 20 minutes while they wait for the driver who left 2 minutes before your pizza was ready to come back to the restaurant?

Deleted
    Zero. There's usually a 25DKK (4-5$) charge on delievery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do i have to tip them just because of that? They are getting paid enough to make a living out of it here and its their job to drive to these places delivering food.

If you expect other countries to follow your rules why shouldnt the other countries just expect you to follow theirs instead?

Tipping is usually required in the states because the companies couldnt give a damn about its employees, most other countries in similar positions have laws which stop companies from screwing over their employees, thus a tip is just that a sign of appreciation. That is the definition of a tip.

The way it works in the US its basically a service charge which the company is too dickish to ask for, myself I tip if its on time and good service, if im in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress is polite, helpful and friendly they get a tip as well.

But you see the real difference is that in the US they expect it and get pissy if they dont get it. Everywhere else they seem to take it as a sign of appreciation and it generally makes them feel happier and then they go onto give good service.

So no its not lazy to get food delivered when your paying for it in many ways, some places have minimum orders for deliveries, others just have a different price on the menu for take away and delivery.
    Last edited by Morden; 2014-02-22 at 11:37 PM. Reason: sp

Can someone explain the 'need' for tipping please? I understand that they don't make a lot of money and it's common courtesy to just help them out a little bit; But there are MANY more jobs with very similar wages/hours that will get no such thanks or reward. I'm not against giving out tips to people for their work, It's only a small percent of what I paid after all but I assumed that I didn't 'have' to do it. I just don't understand what makes being a waiter or a delivery man entitled to extra money compared to other jobs of similar pay and effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    If they didn't manage the deliveries to be as time efficient as possible there's no way you would get your food in a decent time. If they only did one at a time they'd be so backed up from deliveries that your food would be in the box for way longer. Unless you really expect them to have 20 delivery drivers...
    If it takes 20 drivers, then yes, they should have that many. It would also help the unemployment numbers

Deleted
    If it takes 20 drivers, then yes, they should have that many. It would also help the unemployment numbers
    The price of the food would be through the roof, that $20 order would rise to about $50 just to cover those 20 drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they where forced to have 20 drivers, prices would also go up drastically to compensate for it. But i suppose you are ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The price of the food would be through the roof, that $20 order would rise to about $50 just to cover those 20 drivers.
    The restaurant would also cease to exist due to people ordering at other places because of the high cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cncrules45 View Post
    Would you prefer your food sit in a box for 20 minutes while they wait for the driver who left 2 minutes before your pizza was ready to come back to the restaurant?
    I would prefer they make my food, put in the bag, and immediately deliver it to my door as safely as possible. Im paying good money for that food, and it should be as hot and fresh when I get it as it would be if I ate at the restaurant, otherwise the food should be cheaper since IM getting an inferior meal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Can someone explain the 'need' for tipping please? I understand that they don't make a lot of money and it's common courtesy to just help them out a little bit; But there are MANY more jobs with very similar wages/hours that will get no such thanks or reward. I'm not against giving out tips to people for their work, It's only a small percent of what I paid after all but I assumed that I didn't 'have' to do it. I just don't understand what makes being a waiter or a delivery man entitled to extra money compared to other jobs of similar pay and effort.
    This is not the case for every job, but there are some jobs where servers literally make less than minimum wage. I believe the minimum a tipped server can get is $2.13/hour. Yes, you read that right. $2.13/hour. In these instances the tips literally pay these people's bills. Why is it how it is? Culture, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer they make my food, put in the bag, and immediately deliver it to my door as safely as possible. Im paying good money for that food, and it should be as hot and fresh when I get it as it would be if I ate at the restaurant, otherwise the food should be cheaper since IM getting an inferior meal
    Bwahaha. 'Good money' for that food.