Reaper of Souls or Path of Exile?

I've been playing some D3 and it seems very boring at times and I'm hoping RoS will bring the game a lot of life and make it something I want to play all the time. I've also been considering playing Path of Exile because it seems like a decent game for it being free and I see people who were playing D3 playing it. I wanted to ask others if they could only play one which should it be? I would ask on their forums but it would be one sided I imagine. I know I could play both but I'm not sure if I have time to play both games.

Deleted
    Why not just try PoE before RoS? If you like it keep playing it.

First off, this is sort of a game vs. game thread. Which is not allowed.

Secondly, though both games are ARPGs their design and gameplay is very apart. Both games are trying to achieve different things. Path o Exile aims for depth, complexity and large time investment before payoff. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls banks on fast, immediate, spectacular action within strictly linear play systems.

Also Path of Exile is 100%, no bullshit, free. So one can try it out at the expense of bandwidth alone. Leaving the door open for the formation of your own opinion wide open.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-02-22 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    First off, this is sort of a game vs. game thread. Which is not allowed.

Secondly, though both games are ARPGs their design and gameplay is very apart. Both games are trying to achieve different things. Path o Exile aims for depth, complexity and large time investment before payoff. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls banks on fast, immediate, spectacular action within strictly linear play systems.

Also Path of Exile is 100%, no bullshit, free. So one can try it out at the expense of bandwidth alone. Leaving the door open for the formation of your own opinion wide open.
    Opps sorry about the game vs game thread. Didn't know it wasn't allowed. Probably RoS will be for me. I don't have large time investments playing games but I'll give PoE a try anyway since its free

10+ Year Old Account
    As a long-term Diablo fanatic (tens of thousands of hours put into D2), I'd take PoE over D3:RoS in a flash. Heaps of gear customization, useful currency system, absurd amounts of updates/items added, actual character customization as opposed to every character of a class being EXACTLY the same besides gear.

That being said, desync in PoE is aids for certain builds. You can and WILL desync at times, and in harder difficulty levels and/or hardcore, it can be extremely frustrating. D3's rubberbanding still happens on occasion, but it's far less prominent.

From my perspective, if you want a game with extremely good animations, production quality and ease of use, stick with RoS. If you want far, far deeper gameplay mechanics, build variety and customization, try PoE. Free-to-play with zero P2W beyond stash tabs/character slots (of which you already have more than enough)? Yes please.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon't play D3 before RoS comes out!

Vanilla d3 will reap any desire you'll have to play RoS! I have a feeling anyone who plays D3:RoS without having played vanilla D3 will have a blast because RoS is closer to what D3 SHOULD have been.

PoE is great too, it's has a much deeper item system but the combat is not as smooth. Give it a go while waiting for RoS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravok View Post
    Opps sorry about the game vs game thread. Didn't know it wasn't allowed. Probably RoS will be for me. I don't have large time investments playing games but I'll give PoE a try anyway since its free
    It doesn't require large time investments. Some builds do shine more in late-game than early-game, but that's the same in basically every ARPG I've ever played. You can play builds that'll be attacking several times per second at level 20. It really does ramp up crazily fast. Sure, you won't be "rich" or "top of the ladder" if you don't put in the hours, but that's the case in every game under the sun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck it get both. RoS look like it'll be WELL worth the money, it's fixing alot of the problems people had with D3V then RoS is free so... yeah why not
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    It doesn't require large time investments. Some builds do shine more in late-game than early-game, but that's the same in basically every ARPG I've ever played. You can play builds that'll be attacking several times per second at level 20. It really does ramp up crazily fast. Sure, you won't be "rich" or "top of the ladder" if you don't put in the hours, but that's the case in every game under the sun.
    Dunno about that, the entire concept of both games are to redo the same content over and over with some difficulty changes. It's the purest definition of grinding you can find in any game genre.

Poe was my first Arpg, but I loved it as soon as I tried it out. Poe is best when you're playing on one of its hardcore league. Never played diablo, but I fully recommend poe.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why Limit yourself, both is allowed. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon't play D3 before RoS comes out!

Vanilla d3 will reap any desire you'll have to play RoS! I have a feeling anyone who plays D3:RoS without having played vanilla D3 will have a blast because RoS is closer to what D3 SHOULD have been.

PoE is great too, it's has a much deeper item system but the combat is not as smooth. Give it a go while waiting for RoS!
    That it a good point. Waiting til the expansion comes out will give me some time away from how Vanilla D3 has been and I can enjoy what RoS will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post

I'll give both a try. I'll wait til RoS comes out and til then I'll play PoE. Is there a link to where I can find some good builds for beginners?

I like Marvel Heroes more than both by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravok View Post
    PoE is perfect for people that dont have alot of time to invest. In addition to standard and hardcore they have leagues that run for 2 hours and then are over and u get rewards....some more that last a few days, some a few weeks, there's something always going on.

Going to go ahead and close this thread up. Game VS Game threads are generally frowned upon depending on their content as they usually result in both sides going at it with each other.

If you are interested in what games might be decent you can request/get more info from this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1151542-HELP-Request-a-Game-Suggest-a-Game!