Deleted

WD Green for fraps storage suitable? :)

Hi all, quick question:

I have my games running on my SSD or sometimes a Black Western Digital hard drive and I want to use Fraps to record some game play. Would sending the fraps storage to a Green WD be perfectly fine and a good idea rather than getting a Blue or Black instead? I have not brought the Green WD yet and want advice before buying one. A 4TB WD Green seems very cheap compared with others as well.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharrax View Post
    Hi all, quick question:

I have my games running on my SSD or sometimes a Black Western Digital hard drive and I want to use Fraps to record some game play. Would sending the fraps storage to a Green WD be perfectly fine and a good idea rather than getting a Blue or Black instead? I have not brought the Green WD yet and want advice before buying one. A 4TB WD Green seems very cheap compared with others as well.

Thanks!
    Yea don't see why not.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Assume you mean recording to the WD green drive?

I'm under the impression 7200RPM + is preferred for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    iirc you can use the greens for storage but the recording itself should be done on a faster drive (I THINK)

So maybe just move the files from a black/blue to a green after recording?

*shrug*
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

greens are good for storage. as long as your not recording onto the greens themselves but tranfering them over from a ssd or a black youll be fine.

Deleted
    Oh right well I wanted to use fraps and my games on the SSD and in fraps just set the "Folder to save movies in" location to the Green WD drive so no. Not just having this option set to a Black or SSD drive and then move them to the Green Drive but just the place the recordings, while recording at the same time, to the green drive. I thought this is just Fraps's way of placing the files somewhere but was not sure so I asked here

So a Blue or Black would be better?

Deleted
    Recording directly to whatever drive you pick you'd want a faster (7200 RPM +) so yes WD Blue or Black or another 7200 drive. You could just transfer the files after?

There is a £72 Toshiba 3TB HDD, not 100% sure if these were manufactured by WD or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You could just transfer the files after? .
    Well I only have 400GB free on my WD Black and the SSD is nearly full (worried because Fraps files are huge in memory!) but I think you're right. It would probably be better to just copy/paste them as then I clear some of the hard drive space on my other drives where I have some movies / files stored. Thanks for answering my question!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    The thing with recording is that you need <X> amount of throughput for <Y> amount of quality. You can think of it like filling your car with gas and going on trip. You need <X> litres of fuel to travel <Y> kilometres, having more gas won't make the trip faster so you shouldn't be worried about re-filling your tank at every service station you pass. You need enough fuel or disk throughput, maybe a little extra for emergencies, and after that you're not gaining anything at all. Likewise if you don't have enough fuel you don't finish your trip. Likewise you won't capture all the frames you're supposed to if you don't have enough HDD throughput.

Here's a chart showing the different popular recording software and their disk use per second. You probably care most about the second column. You can see that FRAPS will consume between 30 and 60 MB/s for 1080p30 video depending on what quality settings you use. As long as you have a drive that's capable of maintaining that performance you'll have no issues capturing things to it

How does the WD Green stack up? They're fine, mostly.

You can see under the "best case" for streaming write they've got more than enough throughput (~110MB/s) to handle the demand. Unfortunately all spinning rust drives lose performance as they fill up so we also need to be concerned about worst-case performance too. The more full the drive, the worse it will perform. You can see in that review the WD Green drops as low as 53MB/s for streaming write. That's fast enough for lossy RGB 1080p30 FRAPS but probably not okay for higher quality/framerate options.

For the first half of the disk you should be pretty close to the "best case" performance, somewhere between 50% and 100% full you'll start to notice the performance fall off. As long as you keep the drive less than half full you'll have absolutely no issue using it as a capture device. In some cases you might even get as much as 75-80% full before performance waxes; it'll vary depending on the drive. On the other hand, if you intend to use the disk for storing data (old captures, documents, etc) then you probably want to consider a more capable drive. The WD Black 4TB drive gives you a higher peak streaming performance (~150MB/s) which isn't that important for this use case, but it also stays above 80MB/s for worst-case streaming write. That means you'd have the option to capture 1080p60 with FRAPS using Lossless RGB if you wanted to, and even mostly full it's still going to provide enough throughput to avoid frame drops (the rest of your system might not, but it won't be the HDD holding you back).

You'll need to look up benchmarks for the same make/model/year as the disks you intend to use -- I provided examples for the current drives as a point of reference. If you're using an older model of the WD Black it's performance is going to be worse than the new ones.
    Some really good information there, thank you very much, I learnt a lot ^^