Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Should Fishing be a 1/1 skill?

Levelling up Fishing is a massive PITA. I'll admit, I'm lazy, but looking at the changes that Fishing has undergone, I do believe it is time to make it a 1/1 type of skill that you learn, kinda like Riding.
    With the old model, you had to have a certain amount of skill before you could fish in the higher level areas. It made sense then to have to level up skill points.
    Seeing as now you can Fish in any pool at any skill level, I feel it's made the skill points kinda redundant.
    Yes, I know you can level up Mining in a similar fashion but a) Mining has a sense of 'progression'; you can't mine Cobalt until you have a certain skill level and b) providing you're mining at least a yellow level node, you will get a skill point up, making it seem less tedious.
    Getting a skill point up in fishing once every 10 or so casts is just annoying.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

If you can already fish in any pool, why do you care about leveling your skill?

Deleted
    As it currently stands I think fishing should be account wide. There is no benefit to maxing out fishing on more than one character per realm at the moment. Now if they add specializations to fishing, such as fresh water fishing v inland fishing etc then it would be worth leveling the skill on more than one character.

Unless you enjoy fishing don't do it.

Me, it can be a nice relaxing break, when I want to be online to chat to guildies etc. but cba doing anything taxing, and flying around in circles outside the Shrine gets dull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should keep it as it is. Same with first aid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything fishing should be a coordinated mini-game where based on your performance you increase your % to catch the better fish in the waters. As long as the mindless right click fishing wasn't removed I'm sure a small percentage of players would find some entertainment in it.
    My Partner does vegan food art @Monaco's Kitchen:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Monacos-Kit...age_fan_invite
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monacoskitchen/

Deleted
    Fishing is a bit dull and Blizzard could have done so much more to ake it interesting, but as usual they lack imagination.

As the game stands it is still highly useful and lucrative at the beginning of an expansion for buff food. I really dont think its that hard to level just people are lazy.

Deleted
    Prepare to get your mind-blown...

Fishing... is about patience.

I have 6 characters with 550+ fishing (4 of them are at 600). I have not got the Nat Pagel rep to buy the books for +50 skill and only gotten 1 from the big fish beast drop.

now saying that I enjoy fishing. It's relaxing and can be a bit of fun. Now the reason I feel making it a 1/1 skill would destroy it for me is thus:

In current game, pools/schools of fish are not amazingly common unless you go to the spots that are teeming on your server. If you want to pool fish you need to fFLY around to make it truly efficient. Also pool fishing you will eventually hit 600 anyways and have a chance at the mount. I have pool fished for 3 of my 600 anglers and STILL no mount and have over 30,000 pool fish caught with no mount, ah well RNG sucks but it doesn't bother me.

Now fast forward to WoD. Guess what the major impact it will have on fishing, assuming it remains unchanged? Come on...guess. No flight. This means riding along the coast/along the rivers and lakes to get to pools. This makes 600-675 (assuming it's +75 skill again for a new xpac) and fishing in general harder and thus makes the 1-675 grind worth it. Having a 1/1 means I can get a lock portal, port my level 5 throw away bank guild toon to a 'safe' lake, and cast and bang...I get rich (we all know fish/food items sell REAL well at the start of progression/xpacs). Now granted I could do the same with the current system by buying 12 of the Pagel +50 fishing skill books, however that will cost around 8,000 gold that gets sucked out of the economy.

Also Realm Firsts and such.

Remember this is an MMO..and an RPG. Progression is NOT just new shiny loot. It's making your character better at tasks like reattaching that arm you lost to an ogar with banaids, digging for artifacts, cooking a meal fit for a king...or peasant amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by get big or die mirin View Post
    Levelling up Fishing is a massive PITA. I'll admit, I'm lazy, but looking at the changes that Fishing has undergone, I do believe it is time to make it a 1/1 type of skill that you learn, kinda like Riding.
    With the old model, you had to have a certain amount of skill before you could fish in the higher level areas. It made sense then to have to level up skill points.
    Seeing as now you can Fish in any pool at any skill level, I feel it's made the skill points kinda redundant.
    Yes, I know you can level up Mining in a similar fashion but a) Mining has a sense of 'progression'; you can't mine Cobalt until you have a certain skill level and b) providing you're mining at least a yellow level node, you will get a skill point up, making it seem less tedious.
    Getting a skill point up in fishing once every 10 or so casts is just annoying.
    You don't need to level fishing anymore. You can fish from anywhere. You don't even need a lure anymore. The only reason to level fishing is if you're a completionist.

15+ Year Old Account
    they said they want to change something about fishing, but as it currently stands, you can fish with 1/600 in a pool in a lvl 90 area, and you won't get any junk, as long as you are fishing in a pool.

imho, they should definitely make it a 1/1 skill, and apply skill to the fishing poles. fishing poles and other gear. then may have level and/or reputation requirements, and maybe even some fishing level requirements, so you have to have "fishing gear" that increases your skill to 100, then with fishing 100 you can do daily quests or whatever to gain reputation by faction xyz, and with that faction xyz you get a pole at exalted that gives +500 fishing, and then you need 600 fishing to be able to catch that rare fish on the coasts of Kun Lai (for example), which then gives the achievement "experienced fisherman" or something like that.

but with the current system "anyone with any level and any skill can fish in any pool and does not get junk", fishing (other than having it to begin with) as a profession to catch fish to make buffood does not make any sense.

maybe they could make raid drop fishing poles (additionally to normal loot, like rare pets or so), which are required to fish that certain fish to make the best available buffood. something like this would be ... interesting.

Simply put, No.

Fishing skill level does matter whether you want to see it or not, about 75% of the time I spend fishing is in open water. Fishing skill level allows me to determine if I need to bother with a lure/+fishing gear or not.

Fishing is fine as it is.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fishing, like the other secondary professions aren't mandatory. You don't have to max the skills to 600+ on every character. They're as fine as they are with the skill-leveling process, just as the primary professions are. I love fishing, and it is awesome in it's current form (Although I would like equipping a pole to come back).
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

fishing is booooooriiiing... All you do is reel.. and reel.. over and over.. and sit and star at that blobber..

I think it's one of the few if not the only profession in game that actually represents the RL version of it perfectly. Don't change it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

One thing I do think they should change is make fishing pools a one shot deal like every other gathering profession so you fish up the entire pool at once. Sure it doesn't really make sense from a realistic standpoint that you would be fishing up 4-6 fish in one cast but does that really matter?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should make the fishing skill relevant again. Up until WotLK you needed skill to fish in pools, and in both WotLK and Cata there were high level fishes you could only fish in open water required for the best feasts. MoP is the first expansion where fishing skill is no longer required. Heck, you don't even need a fishing pole any more!

They have done a lot to devalue fish throughout the expansions, but what they did in MoP must be the worst. I have all this cool fishing gear, but nowhere to use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fishing is the easiest it has ever been.

It used to be, dare I say, much more time consuming, but it was mostly relaxing.

If you just see it as something to 'complete' as quick as you can, well you are going to have a very long and boring time (even worse these days, I found it quite fun having to tramp around old Azeroth going to the correct zones for skill-ups, doing the Nat Pagle q's, etc).

Fishing for Mr Pinchy in TBC was... well the ultimate challenge for me. Especially when you were not guaranteed the pet...

I made some nice coin at the start of MoP as I had several Mr Pinchy's on my characters that were surplus.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just wish that they would make it into more of a mini-game where if you are successful it is like an orange skill-up (guaranteed), whereas not so successful either yellow or green. Having all fishing locations and pools act as green skillups (or worse) makes it a very time consuming, tedious profession to level. My mage has been around since mid-2005, and I picked up fishing not long after rolling her. I have never had max fishing in any iteration / expansion of the game because when it takes 5-10 fish for a single skillup, that is a lot of casting and bobber-clicking...

Looking forward to maybe putting a little bit towards fishing in WoD and seeing what turns up; but it's never a priority - I just wish it had a bit more interaction to it.
    For the Alliance!

It should not be 1/1 skill. It should be further developed, but not revamped. No professions should be .

It is a profession skill you can't buy your way to.
    I welcome that as being different from the others.
    Archaeology is even worse to level up.
    It is optional, so if you want it work for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.