1. #1
    Pandaren Monk Sunnydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lamp?
    Posts
    1,750

    binding as healer

    Started pvping a bit as healer, and alot of the time i have to cast while moving, but it gets really clunky to press 1-2-3-4-5-shift 1-5 /Q/E/W while running with S and strafe with A/D, and no idea how to sort this out to feel less handicapped. any suggestions from more experienced people out there?

  2. #2
    High Overlord Pol-Kinabol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Québec, Canada
    Posts
    135
    You could do what most of the PvPers do and walk using both of your mouse buttons, you can get addons like healbot or grid, you can get a mouse with more buttons like a Razer Naga, you can also rebind your movement keys to something you're more confortable with. Hope this was helpful, welcome to pvp!
    Originally Posted by cutterx2202
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

  3. #3
    hold down 2 mouse buttons to run forward and first thing you should get used of is using binds to target party members instead of clicking frames, i feel it made a huge difference on my gameplay after getting used to it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Senchae View Post
    hold down 2 mouse buttons to run forward and first thing you should get used of is using binds to target party members instead of clicking frames, i feel it made a huge difference on my gameplay after getting used to it.
    This. As a healer it's hugely important that you keybind you 2 party members and yourself. For me, target party 1 is scroll up, target party 2 is scroll down, and target myself is C. I know a large portion of healers use F1 for self, F2 for party 2 and F3 for party 3.

    As soon as you've got your team mates bound and your spells bound, you can now leave your left and/or right mouse buttons down all the time to quickly move, turn the camera and move forward.

    After that, it's mostly just practice. Put your most used healing spells on 12345FTGVX, etc. Keys that are easy to reach and then just practice and practice with those keybinds until it's second nature.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    This. As a healer it's hugely important that you keybind you 2 party members and yourself. For me, target party 1 is scroll up, target party 2 is scroll down, and target myself is C. I know a large portion of healers use F1 for self, F2 for party 2 and F3 for party 3.
    I can't emphasize how good this is. It's something I personally don't do, because I got used to just clicking frames. Probably will try to get used to targeting hotkeys next season or something, but yeah, start with this cause it's real good.

    After that, what works for me is I actually move with auto run. My Z key is autorun on every single character, and I just quickly tap it when I want to move, but obviously moving with your mouse is totally legit as well and tons of people do that. Just offering a suggestion if you can't get used to mouse movement.

    As for good keybinds, I use A,S,D,X,C,V,D,F,G,Y,T,R,1,2,3,4,` for all my skills, with a couple shift modifiers in there as well. But hotkeys are not an easy thing to have people help you with, cause what works for me might not work for you. I run with a lot of odd keybinds, like on my Priest I hotkey Prayer of Mending to X, which is easily one of the best skills and you use it literally every 10-12 seconds, so X is probably weird, but it works for me. I'd imagine hotkeying that to like 1-4 would be more efficient, but it's what I'm used to. Plus it's next to my auto run key, which I use lots. So, what I'm trying to say is, try different things and see what works, and hotkey things in a way that you can reach 1-2 moves ahead. So for me, I hit X with my middle finger for Prayer of Mending to get the buff, then I hit 1 with my ring finger or T with my index finger to hit either Serenity or Flash Heal, so I can do it as soon as I get the buff.

    That dragged on longer than I expected, but anyway that about sums up what I can say about hotkeys heh

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,824
    Wait.. what? Do I see another ASD user instead of the default AWD or even QWE many people use? DAMN!

    What I would suggest you to do is to bind your healing abilities to QWE, Tab and 4. Those are the binds I use and they work perfectly fine. QWE are extremely easy to press while running around, so are 2, 3 and 4 IMO especially when you're holding down both mouse buttons to move.

  7. #7
    hm.

    for walking i use W, A and D is strafe keys (mouse 2 always down to turn!) S is binded for Symbosis

    bind i use :

    Q,E,R,T,C,G,V,X,F
    1,2,3,4,5 (dont use other numbers they are too far from W i put food and buffs there and mount)

    after i just do :
    shift +Q, shift + E and so on.
    same with 12345.

    I use capslock for cyclone (uuber comfortable key btw)
    and "~" aka "`" for my trinket!

    if you pvp you will be always max zoomed out so i binded my Scroolup and down keys to change friendly/enemy targets. You always must be max zoom so you can see all around and whats behind you.

    Dont bind mounts to useful keys you can bind it other side of keyboard but dont put it on Q or R which are keys who are easy to press.

    use Target macros, im used to not use them since im pve+pvp all the time but if your pure pvper you must use them, or if your going for rank.

    ofc remeber to juke aka:
    stand behind pillar and use A/D to Strafe out and back (run sideways)


    btw if you need zoom in on some buttons put them on "arrow up and down"

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Behind the Pillar
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Praymore View Post
    hm.

    for walking i use W, A and D is strafe keys (mouse 2 always down to turn!) S is binded for Symbosis

    bind i use :

    Q,E,R,T,C,G,V,X,F
    1,2,3,4,5 (dont use other numbers they are too far from W i put food and buffs there and mount)

    after i just do :
    shift +Q, shift + E and so on.
    same with 12345.
    i do almost the same thing. turn with your mouse. unbind S and do not back peddle. also a multi button mouse helps alot. alot of people use the Naga but i've had a logitech g600 for a year with no bad results at all.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,061
    I use this keyboard, and after all these years I doubt I could do without it:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-conten...1275514509.jpg

    I have G8 and G10-11-12 set up as W-A-S-D. G1 - G7 are 1-7 buttons. G9 = 9 on the bar. G13 and G16 are - and =. G14-15-17-18 are used to switch bars with my thumb. I also have bartender add-on setup in a way I always see three bars. The bar that switches and one with Shift and one with CTRL modifier. With this setup I have about 60 buttons in my reach withing 0.01 second. Okay, maybe not 0.01 sec but always faster as the GCD .
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.
    - Plato

  10. #10
    Field Marshal PomPyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Garden Grove
    Posts
    61
    I had to learn this the hard way but the instant spells that are allowed to be used while moving should be placed on keys you can reach without taking your fingers off the directional keys. Prayer of Mending can be binded to V and activated with your thumb.

    The other spells that require a time to cast, such like Mass Dispel, can be binded to buttons that require you to take your fingers off the strafe keys. Like R or something.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    This. As a healer it's hugely important that you keybind you 2 party members and yourself. For me, target party 1 is scroll up, target party 2 is scroll down, and target myself is C. I know a large portion of healers use F1 for self, F2 for party 2 and F3 for party 3.

    As soon as you've got your team mates bound and your spells bound, you can now leave your left and/or right mouse buttons down all the time to quickly move, turn the camera and move forward.

    After that, it's mostly just practice. Put your most used healing spells on 12345FTGVX, etc. Keys that are easy to reach and then just practice and practice with those keybinds until it's second nature.
    Odd. I feel like a healer is the only one who can "get away" with not doing this. I click frames because I can click faster than I can use 2 binds to target then cast something. Using 2 hands to do 1 thing instead of my left hand to try and target and cast. For example, target self is C for you, but my holy prism keybind is alt-R. Using C then Alt-R is incredibly slow at prone to fat-fingering something if you are doing it too fast. Much easier to click my frame and be done with it.

    I NEVER EVER move with double mouse click; that has to be the least efficient way to do things imo. I haven't heard of anyone doing anymore it but I guess people still do. Thats also because I rarely ever move forward I sidestep most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Getting the phrase "PUSSY DESTROYER" tattoo'd on your face isn't a smart move for your career.

  12. #12
    Hit 'Escape' then press exit game. The proceed to download a game with balanced/decent PvP.

    OT: When I heal in PvE I heal with the default raid frames. I am so used to it I can do stuff just as fast as most decent-average people. It might be different if you are going for Rank 1, but I have never been close to that so I can't really comment.

    Just play what you are comfortable with!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    Odd. I feel like a healer is the only one who can "get away" with not doing this. I click frames because I can click faster than I can use 2 binds to target then cast something. Using 2 hands to do 1 thing instead of my left hand to try and target and cast. For example, target self is C for you, but my holy prism keybind is alt-R. Using C then Alt-R is incredibly slow at prone to fat-fingering something if you are doing it too fast. Much easier to click my frame and be done with it.

    I NEVER EVER move with double mouse click; that has to be the least efficient way to do things imo. I haven't heard of anyone doing anymore it but I guess people still do. Thats also because I rarely ever move forward I sidestep most of the time.
    Regarding the keybinding part, I would never be able to go back to clicking frames. It actually reduces your awareness because you're focusing on the positioning of your mouse and that could be the difference between noticing a polymorph or incoming blind and being able to death/hand of sac it etc.

    I agree that if you were to keybind your target self to C, then you'd have issues casting holy prism as it's alt-r, but what if mouse wheel down was target self? There is 3(not including modifiers) unused keybinds just including your mouse wheel that almost never get used, it seems like a massive waste to me. But having the issue of spread out keybinds is why I always recommend having your most commonly used spells on very easy to reach keybinds. It'd be fine having hand of salvation or taunt on alt-r as Hpala, in my opinion, but something like holy prism deserves a better keybind because it's so important to healing.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Regarding the keybinding part, I would never be able to go back to clicking frames. It actually reduces your awareness because you're focusing on the positioning of your mouse and that could be the difference between noticing a polymorph or incoming blind and being able to death/hand of sac it etc.

    I agree that if you were to keybind your target self to C, then you'd have issues casting holy prism as it's alt-r, but what if mouse wheel down was target self? There is 3(not including modifiers) unused keybinds just including your mouse wheel that almost never get used, it seems like a massive waste to me. But having the issue of spread out keybinds is why I always recommend having your most commonly used spells on very easy to reach keybinds. It'd be fine having hand of salvation or taunt on alt-r as Hpala, in my opinion, but something like holy prism deserves a better keybind because it's so important to healing.
    I don't use mousewheel up and down thats true. They are prone to errors from my experience. For example rolling up too quickly actually is considered a down roll for some reason; I remember I tried using my friends keybinds where he had the pvp trinket bound to mouse down and something else to mouse up and I would always randomly trinket without meaning too when uprolling. Could be my mouse too, its a little old.

    The issue I have is that too many modifier keybinds mess everything up. I already use alt and shift (even though I hate shift, and I refuse to use ctrl lest I break my damn pinky) and I don't need any more random target people keybinds. I use them on my dps classes because I don't want to untarget the enemy I want to attack while I, say, decurse teammate. But as a healer, I don't really need to be targeting anything at all times so I click frames. You could be right, it might help me see things better since I don't need to know where my mouse is but Im not sure. But I am pretty much only watching frames as a healer anyway and the mouse never strays far away from it. Preference I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Getting the phrase "PUSSY DESTROYER" tattoo'd on your face isn't a smart move for your career.

  15. #15
    You could also look at something like Clique.

  16. #16
    Bloodsail Admiral Barnabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ventilation shaft. How do you know that?
    Posts
    1,065
    I have everything bound to the foot pedals of my piano....
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I think MMO-C should be renamed "HJTC-C" - Hyperbolic Jumping To Conclusions Champion.

  17. #17
    I use Q, E, and S for targeting party members and myself -- cdew's bindings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •