Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've forgotten to plug the PCI-E cable on my GPU and forgotten to plug my HDD in too.

Deleted
    Mounted a Corsair H-series water pump upside down because it fit in the case better. In fairness, Corsair said it would work either way. All depends on your definition of work; around 30 degrees difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, this is so embarrassing but here we go anyway.

On my first computer build ever, I mounted the motherboard directly to the case instead of on standoffs. >< So, ofc, the motherboard kept shorting. I was so young....

10+ Year Old Account
    Painful derp.
    Fan was spinning and a wire was making obnoxious sound by getting slapped by the fan. So I decided to move it and got hit by the fan and did a little cut.

Building derp.
    First build took a few hours to assemble cause I was just going durrrrr. So the bigger durr was I didn't plug the CPU power connector and was wondering why it won't power on. Took a while to figure that out...

Deleted
    Around 15years or so, on a P2 (i think) i was having cpu overheating issues or so i thought. Took that cooler out and what do i see! Almost no paste! The cheap bastards didnt put enough paste on it i thought and obviously i go nuts and place paste for corner to corner covering the whole damn thing. Put the cooler on top and thought damn i am good. Turned the pc back on to make a....

Not a huge thing, the biggest derp moment for me was when i was building a PC and it would turn on and shut down instantly,of course i panicked and then a few minutes later i realized i forgot to plug the CPU 4/8pin >_>.

Mostly i panicked because it never happened before and i hadnt done anything wrong building wise so it made no sense since i had built quite a few before.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Several. But the most costly was that I forgot to de-electrify myself (not sure what the english translation is) in order to remove static electricity. Having a rather large hair while also wearing wool socks, you could pretty much guess the outcome. Static electricity is bad when it comes to hardware components

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    Several. But the most costly was that I forgot to de-electrify myself (not sure what the english translation is) in order to remove static electricity. Having a rather large hair while also wearing wool socks, you could pretty much guess the outcome. Static electricity is bad when it comes to hardware components
    Same here, shorted my psu & brandnew mobo that way.
    motherboard was stuck in a bootloop afterwards & the psu was completely dead, both had to be replaced.
    always ground myself now before doing anything to my pc ;o

Deleted
    Just yesterday, I spent about 30 minutes just figuring out why the hell I couldn't get into BIOS. Was almost at the point where I'd go and buy a new MOBO when I noticed that I'd only plugged in 20 pins of power into the MOBO, instead of 24. I had mistaken them for PCI-E plugs. Facepalm.

Deleted
    Well, when I was building the computer I'm using right now, needless to say it was my first build, I didn't put in the RAM firmly enough, so the PC would shut down some seconds after booting. It took me several attempts and about 2 weeks of seperating the parts and putting them back together to realize I just had to push in the RAM a little bit harder...

10+ Year Old Account
    Flipped the 110V switch while connected to a 240V power outlet. yay pop + smoke!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't recall any huge blundering mistakes while PC building, besides the old RAM-not-seated-properly thing.
    But goddammit I hate it when I'm poking around the PC while it's on and my hand happens to touch one of the spinning fans. It's like "BZZZFRFRFFJFFR" and I literally JUMP like 10 fucking feet in shock. Not because of pain or anything (slow RPM plastic fans lol) but it's the sheer jump-scare of it...some kind of automatic reaction to the feeling + sound...I can't help it o_O
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-02-24 at 01:10 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Years ago, back when floppy drives were still in common use, I plugged the 4 pin power to one incorrectly. Cheap PSU, shorted to case and blew while I was still touching it. Ouch.

Since then, not done anything quite that bad
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I don't even remember the components that went into my first build.

It was about 20~ years ago though, so yeeaaahhh... Lots of stuff between then and now.

Edit: I mean, I remember the CPU was a 386. Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot to install the flux capacitor... =(

On my most recent build, I forgot to take the plastic off the bottom of the heat sink. Turns out they aren't nearly as effective with that on.

I was using a SATA II cable when I put together a dual SSD RAID-0 setup. After reading up on it, there apparently are different cables to use for SATA III so I was gimping my pimped out storage for a few months heh.

Pulling over the fan latches on my Noctua CPU cooler and slicing my fingers on the Noctua's blades. Blood went everywhere and I was so lucky none hit the motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was servicing a friends laptop and forgot to remove the battery. While disconnecting the LVDS cable I heard a pop and some smoke came out.

First time I attempted to build a PC, i laid my motherboard on the carpet and plugged everything into it and powered it on to check if i had made all the right connections. it went very well