11. This poll is closed
  • Support

3 27.27%
  • Condemn

4 36.36%
  • Neutral / Undecided

4 36.36%

Islam banned in Angola

While the constitution in Angola guarantees freedom of religion to all of its citizens, this right no longer seems to apply to the followers of the now banned religion of Islam. According to numerous newspapers in Angola, the African nation has banned the Islamic religion. It has become the first country in the world to take such a harsh stance against Muslims.

On November 22, the Angolan Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva said that “[t]he process of legalization of Islam has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights [and so] their mosques would be closed until further notice.” Why the religion needs to be legalized has not been definitively stated by Cruz e Silva.

On November 24, Angola President José Eduardo dos Santos said that the country is working toward putting an end to Islamic influence in Angola once and for all. Again, there is no word of what or who has been influenced and why it needs to stop.

The Governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, has said that “radical” Muslims are not welcome in the country and that the Angolan government will not be legalizing mosques or other places of worship for Muslims.

Read more: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nned-in-Angola
    I know that some people on this forum want their governments to do the same. Do you think that the government has gone too far in their crusade against Islamic extremism? Should the Western world condemn (or perhaps support) the Angolan government's decision?

Note: I hope this doesn't violate MMO-C's laws on religion. I didn't think it would, since we're not discussing Islam itself, merely the laws that the Angolan government is implementing.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-02-23 at 11:37 PM.

Deleted
    I know why they did it, I do not agree with it and it is a slippery slope but I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Source: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nned-in-Angola

I know that some people on this forum want their governments to do the same. Do you think that the government has gone too far in their crusade against Islamic extremism? Should the Western world condemn (or perhaps support) the Angolan government's decision?

Note: I hope this doesn't violate MMO-C's laws on religion. I didn't think it would, since we're not discussing Islam itself, merely the laws that the Angolan government is implementing.
    Personally? I dont really care if they ban or legalize it, if this what the majority of the people in that country want to happen, they have a right to govern their country how they want, no one should tell them otherwise.

As for the "western" countries, US, Europe will denounce it saying its fear mongering or whatever, but really I don't think they will care either, they will just say that so rumors won't start.

Tbh, I think this whole thing is to get people to talk about Angola, I mean.. I wonder how many people can point it out on a map.

I might be wrong but I feel that a move like that will just draw more religious extremism within their borders. Now you'll have the islamic followers under more pressure which could cause some unsavory things.

I hope it doesn't... but i'd be worried if I lived there.

this will just make it more popular...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    This seems familiar... Wasn't there a thread about this last November, and it turned out to be a hoax...?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Religion needs to go, but force won't accomplish that.

10+ Year Old Account
    As pointed out above, this was a hoax that was fairly quickly denounced back in November, and there's no real discussion to be had on the topic. So I'm going to lock this.