How do I get the best connection possible for multiplayer games?

I always get one shot killed in COD and BF3. my ping is 19. my friend lives a few doors down and has exact same internet and has 7 ping. We both use same router, both use ethernet. does using static ip and dmz make any difference? my gaming rig is better than his and i know that doesnt make much difference with connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it has to be you then, your blaming the tools not the person controlling them.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything below 100ms latency isn't even really noticeable. That's 1/10th of a second. The average human reaction speed is around 2/10th's of a second (roughly 200-240ms), with some of the fastest getting down to about 100-110ms. Source

So it's you. Practice, get better.
    Last edited by Vouksh89; 2014-02-24 at 05:53 AM.

From a technical perspective there are a few things that can influence your ping time on your local network. Ping your default gateway, if you have a ping response that is anything other than <1ms then you have a slow local network and should look at your network topology. However as stated this will not fix your issues in COD and BF3.

what causes lag then? there are people with 200 ping. and sometimes ill be running and about to turn but it resets me back about 6 feet away

That's a simple question with a complicated answer. Here's a simple breakdown for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming)

Short answer is: alot of things. Most lag can be attributed to your carrier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to plan counter strike "back in the day" with horrendous pings of over 250ms, I'd say as soon as pings hit around 80-100 you don't notice a difference any more. I know I certainly can't feel any difference when I moved from my parents (50ms) to my own place (20-30ms).
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by RAgamanos View Post
    what causes lag then? there are people with 200 ping. and sometimes ill be running and about to turn but it resets me back about 6 feet away
    If your PING is low and this is happenign it could be due to packet LOSS or the server itself having lag.

Might just be the game. CoD and BF both pretty horrible net coding, and then you can think about suddenly getting onehit out of nowhere ( even though you saw the person wasn't even firing at you ), dieing after you jumped behind cover, bullets not registering etc etc etc

Troll attempt? 19 ms vs 7 ms...

Deleted
    To be honest you will barely notice any difference from 7 to 19 ms (even in an fps) but if you really wanna know I'd say that even a lower quality splitter on your cables could be making the difference.

Just to give you a comparison of what your asking, imagine you have two Ferrari's of the exact same model and specifications. One reaches 300km/h and the other one 301km/h. What makes one go faster than the other? For all it's worth it could be that the track they are measuring the speeds at have small (minuscule) fractures and that the balance provided by the tires is not the same thus giving one of the cars a small advantage. Or maybe the fuel used on one of them had a higher (like 0.1%) concentration of oil.

So, in short, don't worry over 12 ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Troll attempt? 19 ms vs 7 ms...

I was starting to think the same thing.... Where is this server located? a couple blocks away? Those ping times are pretty damn good. If i had to guess youre dropping packets as schmeebs said. port forwarding on your router and firewall could help.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60