Poll: What should be done with the NSA?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The NSA does a lot more than the computer stuff, y'know. It's been around since the '50s. Computer data is just a big part of SIGINT in the modern era, which is why they're involved in that.

Abolishing the NSA without changing policy regarding the collection and use of SIGINT will change nothing. And changing that policy means there's no reason to abolish the NSA in the first place.
    Yep, the NSA has been snooping on electronic messages and spying on citizens (including sitting US Sentators) since the 40s. All without judicial oversight and without any sign of real threats beyond criticism of the government, of course.

Changing policy while keeping the NSA around will just mean than the policy gets ignored. The NSA has already been smacked down once. Thanks to Snowden and others, it's now obvious that they've ignored the lessons they should have learned back in the 1970s. Heck, they're already doing an end-run around the President's just-issued "no spying on friendly leaders" instructions. The NSA is institutionally broken and their efforts are a net negative to national security. They're basically a rogue agency at this point.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The NSA does a lot more than the computer stuff, y'know. It's been around since the '50s. Computer data is just a big part of SIGINT in the modern era, which is why they're involved in that.

Abolishing the NSA without changing policy regarding the collection and use of SIGINT will change nothing. And changing that policy means there's no reason to abolish the NSA in the first place.
    I just think it's extremely silly how you (purposefully?) misinterpreted his post in the most extreme of ways.

Also, abolishing the NSA would still serve a purpose after changing the policies because they've demonstrated they aren't to be trusted to follow policy in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I just think it's extremely silly how you (purposefully?) misinterpreted his post in the most extreme of ways.

Also, abolishing the NSA would still serve a purpose after changing the policies because they've demonstrated they aren't to be trusted to follow policy in the first place.
    The option for abolishing it, as per this poll, also indicates that we would simultaneously give up pretty much all of our ability to gather information.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    The option for abolishing it, as per this poll, also indicates that we would simultaneously give up pretty much all of our ability to gather information.
    I'm not really sure how you got that given how extremely vague and noncommittal the language is.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Changes are definitely needed but the idea of dismantling the NSA is asinine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Clearly the NSA should just go back to focusing on space exploration.
    No, that's the NRO.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Clearly the NSA should just go back to focusing on space exploration.
    That is NASA

Unless aliens are trying to break into the US government's systems, I guess.