Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
LastLast
  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    No, it's not unconstitutional. Unless you wish to show us where it was proven so. But, you won't because you can't.
    Article 1 section 8. There's no clause in the enumeration about healthcare. And just because a the supreme court says it's constitutional doesn't mean it is.

    "You seem ... to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have, with others, the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps.... Their power [is] the more dangerous as they are in office for life, and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves." -Thomas Jefferson.

  2. #402
    Old God Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    10,730
    The US SC is certainly more valid than the opinion of a person on the internet. Just because you say it is not constitutional, doesn't mean it is. I may dislike some of their rulings, but until they rule otherwise, it is Constitutional Law because they were granted those powers by the very document they interpret.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

  3. #403
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    And just because a the supreme court says it's constitutional doesn't mean it is.
    Well, that's incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #404
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well, that's incorrect.

    hmm... Wells or Thomas Jefferson...hmm...

  5. #405
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    [blah blah ]-Thomas Jefferson.
    And that was probably before Marbury v. Madison. Woops. Damn judges always being activists and shit taking our nation downhill (since 1803)!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And that was probably before Marbury v. Madison. Woops. Damn LIBRUHL judges always being activists and shit (since 1803)!!!!!
    Fixed. Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    hmm... Wells or Thomas Jefferson...hmm...
    Thomas Jefferson has been dead for well over a hundred years. He's not terribly aware of what is going on.

    Plus I could cite Hamilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  8. #408
    Old God Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    10,730
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And that was probably before Marbury v. Madison. Woops. Damn judges always being activists and shit (since 1803)!!!!!
    The Sc has LAWAYS been progressive dontcha know? They've NEVER ruled in favor of states rights and stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

  9. #409
    Immortal Kellhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    7,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Lets not forget, accidents happen, maned or unmanned.
    UAVs have a MUCH higher accident rate than manned fighters.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Article 1 section 8. There's no clause in the enumeration about healthcare. And just because a the supreme court says it's constitutional doesn't mean it is.

    "You seem ... to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have, with others, the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps.... Their power [is] the more dangerous as they are in office for life, and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves." -Thomas Jefferson.
    Actually, the SCOTUS is the ONLY body that can rule something Constitutional. Sorry.

  10. #410
    There's no way for the Supreme Court to do its job without interpreting the Constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  11. #411
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Thomas Jefferson has been dead for well over a hundred years. He's not terribly aware of what is going on.

    Plus I could cite Hamilton.
    I could cite Hamilton as well.
    "That the several states composing the United States of America are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their general government; but that, by compact, under the style and title of a Constitution for the United States, and of amendments thereto, they constituted a general government for special purposes, delegated to that government certain definite powers, reserving, each state to itself, the residuary mass of right to their own self-government; and that whensoever the general government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force.."

  12. #412
    Old God Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    10,730
    Except interpretation of the Constitution is a delegated power of the SC, so until they re rule it unconstitutional, it is constitutional because the original ruling said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

  13. #413
    Actually, the SCOTUS is the ONLY body that can rule something Constitutional. Sorry.
    Technically lower courts and even juries can make decisions like that. They just don't have the same impact.

  14. #414
    Aaaaand.... the part that says, "The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court" means their power to decide cases is not delegated? Well then.

    Edit: If you care to do some historical reading, the judicial branch has shown more restraint with its power than either of the other branches. Cool stuff, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  15. #415
    The Lightbringer Payday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    [Blue State], USA
    Posts
    3,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    I could cite Hamilton as well.
    Are we beholden to the Constitution or to the writings of the writers of the Constitution? Misquotes abound.

  16. #416
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Are we beholden to the Constitution or to the writings of the writers of the Constitution? Misquotes abound.
    I love Big Ole Titties - James Madison.

    Well, there you have it folks, the most 'MURICAN' job is plastic surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

  17. #417
    Immortal Kellhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    7,365
    So, back on topic. What should the US Navy use as the replacement for the LCS that was cut? It was the one bright spot in the whole budget.

  18. #418
    The Lightbringer Payday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    [Blue State], USA
    Posts
    3,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    So, back on topic. What should the US Navy use as the replacement for the LCS that was cut? It was the one bright spot in the whole budget.
    Hamilton's US Coast Guard, reporting for duty sir!

  19. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Believe FDR had a plan for another set of Bill of Rights which included affordable or free healthcare but he unfortunately died before he could propose it.
    Truman had similar plans, but he was faced with the "do nothing Congress" in his first term, and then a coalition of Republicans and Southern Democrats that voted down all of his proposals in his second term; which included a national health insurance program.

  20. #420
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Article 1 section 8. There's no clause in the enumeration about healthcare. And just because a the supreme court says it's constitutional doesn't mean it is.

    "You seem ... to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have, with others, the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps.... Their power [is] the more dangerous as they are in office for life, and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves." -Thomas Jefferson.
    I'd reply to this but seeing as you know nothing about what the Supreme Court said or does at all, apparently, I won't try.

    And worthless founding father quote. Good job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •