Are "Western Backed Revolutions" discrediting the peoples Revolution

I am curious if people here can help answer a question to me. After reading about all these revolutions in Egypt, Syria, Venezuela, and Ukraine it's really tough to sift through the propaganda and I am starting to get tired of reading about how every one of these revolutions is merely an attempt from the West to overthrow a ruler and instill their own puppet leader.
    Everywhere I read it's being made out to seem like the people in these countries that are marching peacefully and attempting to get something done are not the issue at all. It's all about "west supported violent extremists who are funded to take down the governments". Obviously when the people start a revolution there is going to be a power vacuum, I get that, the west is always going to attempt to back who it sees as benefiting their cause but is this necessarily a bad thing? Are the people not being represented at all when they dispose of Yanukovych, or Maduro, or Assad? Is it really as Black and White as the people are being "played" by the west. Or is this just more propaganda that in fact takes away from what the people are attempting to accomplish?
    The people are marching in force and whether or not there are funded elements that are involved in the process should not overlook the fact that it's still a peoples revolution. Am I right or wrong?

Western backed revolutions are populist revolutions.

Deleted
    What exactly are you question?

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    What exactly are you question?
    Good question...
    Are these revolutions getting the results they intend or is the West taking advantage of the power vacuum to instill a puppet that in no way serves the people? Maybe that's the question? I dunno.

I just find so much conflicting information on the nature of these uprisings and their purpose and goals that I can't figure out if they are legit or misrepresented due to western influence.
    Last edited by Aktillum; 2014-02-25 at 03:42 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a kinda murky topic really.

If a populist revolution is happening, and the west gives support to it, that's a good thing as long as it's moving in a direction of greater freedoms and democracy. If the western nations trigger a revolution in order to depose someone they dislike, that's a bad thing, and is just using the people for their own ends. Basically, it comes down to what happens first. The west's involvement, or the revolution. And that is sometimes very difficult to figure out, since we have kinda a long history of exactly that sort of meddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Good question...
    Are these revolutions getting the results they intend or is the West taking advantage of the power vacuum to instill a puppet that in no way serves the people? Maybe that's the question? I dunno.
    We didn't install puppet governments in Egypt, Libya, Ukraine or Syria? If anything, the Egyptian and Syrian rebel "governments" were anti-American.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because they are 'backed' by the west doesn't make them a puppet, or even friendly to us later down the line... case in point... Osama bin Ladin

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    It's a kinda murky topic really.

If a populist revolution is happening, and the west gives support to it, that's a good thing as long as it's moving in a direction of greater freedoms and democracy. If the western nations trigger a revolution in order to depose someone they dislike, that's a bad thing, and is just using the people for their own ends. Basically, it comes down to what happens first. The west's involvement, or the revolution. And that is sometimes very difficult to figure out, since we have kinda a long history of exactly that sort of meddling.
    This is what I'm getting at really.

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    Just because they are 'backed' by the west doesn't make them a puppet, or even friendly to us later down the line... case in point... Osama bin Ladin
    Or Saddam Hussein.

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    well down the line can't really be helped, but Afghanistan is a good example. Are these west backed incentive based revolutions or organic. If they are organic then I feel lots of media seizes upon the western backed elements and makes it appear to be western meddled and not organic at all, leaving me confused at the end of the day.

Are these organic revolutions that become meddled with and overshadowed by western backing which end up in a totally non organic result?

Is it even possible to have a revolution nowadays and get a non western meddled result? There's always that "guiding" hand that gets what it wants, but is it always what the people initially set out to accomplish? A guided western result?
    Last edited by Aktillum; 2014-02-25 at 03:50 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    well down the line can't really be helped, but Afghanistan is a good example. Are these west backed incentive based revolutions or organic. If they are organic then I feel lots of media seizes upon the western backed elements and makes it appear to be western meddled and not organic at all, leaving me confused at the end of the day.

Are these organic revolutions that become meddled with and overshadowed by western backing which end up in a totally non organic result?

Is it even possible to have a revolution nowadays and get a non western meddled result? There's always that "guiding" hand that gets what it wants, but is it always what the people initially set out to accomplish? A guided western result?
    On the flip side, it's also unfair to narrow it down to just the west. If you look at Ukraine, for example, Russia is just as (if not moreso) neck deep in things as anyone else. China also has been getting it's hands all over Africa lately. The fact of the matter is that all the powers in the world meddle in that kind of thing if they think they have something to gain from it.

It goes from something organic to something bought and paid for by outside influences. Is this really in the best interests of the people or is it removing one shitty ruler and replacing it with a wolf in sheeps clothing? I am not suggesting countries don't have their revolutions I am just cynical as to the result being what they wanted..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It goes from something organic to something bought and paid for by outside influences. Is this really in the best interests of the people or is it removing one shitty ruler and replacing it with a wolf in sheeps clothing? I am not suggesting countries don't have their revolutions I am just cynical as to the result being what they wanted..
    You give people too much credit. It's easy to send money and backing to a revolution, it's VERY VERY hard to control how it all turns out. Just because a country backs a revolution doesn't mean that they get what they want out of it. History is /full/ of revolutions where really nobody at all got what they wanted out of it for various reasons.

Realistically, it's pretty hard for an outside power to start a revolution with the goal of putting someone specific in power. It happens, but it's hard. Most of the time, outside influences start revolutions because they hate the current person in power, and figure /anyone/ else is going to be better. Often, they're wrong.